The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

skin graft on top of head

Forums General Melanoma Community skin graft on top of head

Participant

Does anyone have experience with a skin graft on top of the (mostly bald) head? That's where the WLE will be done, and it could be as big as three inches in diameter. Just wondering what to expect … 

Thanks!

Does anyone have experience with a skin graft on top of the (mostly bald) head? That's where the WLE will be done, and it could be as big as three inches in diameter. Just wondering what to expect … 

Thanks!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        scots
        Participant
          I had a wle on the back of my scalp and snb under that. I have a full head of hair except for the 2 1/2 in round wle. I also had radiation on the spot so i lost even more hair, which is slowly comming back. If your mostly bald then it might just blend in once it heals. They took the skin graph from my thigh. The Scar and the area around it is still numb. I had a wider area that was numb but I have slowly gotten some feeling back as it was healing. Are you having an SNB? Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck,

Scot

scots
          Participant
            I had a wle on the back of my scalp and snb under that. I have a full head of hair except for the 2 1/2 in round wle. I also had radiation on the spot so i lost even more hair, which is slowly comming back. If your mostly bald then it might just blend in once it heals. They took the skin graph from my thigh. The Scar and the area around it is still numb. I had a wider area that was numb but I have slowly gotten some feeling back as it was healing. Are you having an SNB? Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck,

Scot

scots
            Participant

Good luck,

Scot

rlowe
              Participant

My primary was a nodule on the crown of my head. I had WLE and skin graft ( skin from my thigh). The graft is about 2" in diameter. My surgeon put a round hard cap on my head over the bandages. The cap had a chin strap on it. I had to wear it for a week solid. I think it was to keep light pressure on it. The graft was bothersome, but not too painful. The skin donation site took longer to heal. They also did a SLNB which found one positive node in my neck.

That was the first surgery I've ever had. It was day surgery so not long in the hospital. I hope everything goes well for you.

Rusty stage 3B

rlowe
                Participant

My primary was a nodule on the crown of my head. I had WLE and skin graft ( skin from my thigh). The graft is about 2" in diameter. My surgeon put a round hard cap on my head over the bandages. The cap had a chin strap on it. I had to wear it for a week solid. I think it was to keep light pressure on it. The graft was bothersome, but not too painful. The skin donation site took longer to heal. They also did a SLNB which found one positive node in my neck.

That was the first surgery I've ever had. It was day surgery so not long in the hospital. I hope everything goes well for you.

Rusty stage 3B

rlowe
                  Participant

Rusty stage 3B

AlanM
                    Participant

I would ask that the surgery be closed up by a plastic surgeon. I had 3 scalp/neck surgeries in 2010. One on the initial site, the second a neck dissection, and the third a surgery to remove in-transit metastasis. I have a few lines on my head where the different surgeries took place but did not have to deal with the healing of a donor site. Probably would not even notice if I didn't cut my hair so short!   Best of luck to you. Alan

AlanM
                      Participant

I would ask that the surgery be closed up by a plastic surgeon. I had 3 scalp/neck surgeries in 2010. One on the initial site, the second a neck dissection, and the third a surgery to remove in-transit metastasis. I have a few lines on my head where the different surgeries took place but did not have to deal with the healing of a donor site. Probably would not even notice if I didn't cut my hair so short!   Best of luck to you. Alan

AlanM
                        Participant

hbecker
                          Participant

Thanks for the info – helps me be better prepared.

The surgery is Monday, yes both the onc. surgeon and a plastic surgeon will do the work. Yes , SNB as well as WLE. I'll post afterwords to let you know how he does.

hbecker
                            Participant

The surgery is Monday, yes both the onc. surgeon and a plastic surgeon will do the work. Yes , SNB as well as WLE. I'll post afterwords to let you know how he does.

hbecker
                              Participant

kbrenner
                                Participant

If anyone can provide with more information I'd appreciate it.  I was diagnosed with melanoma 5 days ago and met with the plactic surgeon who informed me I would need a skin graph 3 days ago.  I had a mole removed from my scalp 1 1/2 weeks ago.  It was in the part line on the left side.  They will be taking a skin graph from my thigh for this.  I have very long hair and of course this area will need to be shaved.  The surgeon suggested parting my hair on the opposite side one it heals.  Also, maybe cutting by hair short so it will be easier to take care of.  I'm going back to the dermatologist tomorrow for a full body check and will talk to her about it, but wondered if anyone had any suggestions or had any experience with this.  Also wondering about clothing when getting back to work.  And the recovery time,  the Dr. was pretty vague about that.  Hope everyone out there that has experienced this is doing well. 

Thank you,

Kari

hbecker
                                    Participant

Hi Kari,

I'm guessing your case and my husband's are very different but will try to give you some suggestions. 

First, press your plastic surgeon for more information about the procedure and recovery. These doctors specialize in making skin grow back after surgery. But every case is different, so they really can't give you definitive answers about what you are facing.

Skin from your thigh or abdomen (where they took my husband's graft from) may be a different color than the skin on your scalp. Don't be surprised at this! And, you may feel tingling or numbness – or complete lack of sensation – in the area around the graft.

Follow the doctor's instructions about how much you need to restrict your activity after the surgery, so that the site where they take the skin graft from will heal properly.

I can't answer about whether the hair will grow back because my husband is partly bald and the graft was on the top of his head, where he didn't have any hair before the melanoma.

My husband came home from the hospital on the day of surgery with a pressure bandage wrapped around his head, and that bandage stayed on for a week. He also was told to sleep with his head elevated for several weeks (three or four) after the surgery. The graft needed to be cleaned and covered twice a day. If you can see the site in the mirror you may be able to do this yourself. Otherwise you may need a good friend to help.

If you are in an urban area where you can consult with a team of dermatologist/onocologist/surgeon/plastic surgeon who specialize in melanoma, you would be wise to do that.

Feel free to be in touch as you come up with more questions. There are many wonderful folks on this bulletin board who can help you understand about melanoma and make sure you have as much information as you can get to make the best decisions.

Best of luck!

~Hazel

P.S. we are doing extremely well, considering what we were expecting when I first posted this question! The sentinel node biopsies were clean and my husband is in a state called "no evidence of disease" since June 18, his date of surgery! 

kbrenner
                                      Participant

Hazel,

Thank you for your response. I very glad to hear you are doing well and taht your husband is in a"no evidence of disease" state.  This was very knew to me when I first posted my question and I have begun to find out more information.

I saw my Dermatologist yesterday for a full body check and they are planning to remove one more very small spot on my foot after my scalp surgery.  Hopefully that will be nothing.  My dermatologist has had melanoma twice and is very nice and understanding and assured me I would be fine.  I've heard very good things about the plastic surgeon she had sent me to and I'm going to try to get more info from them.  I did find out late today that my surgery has been scheduled form Sept 10th.  They had to do some switching of schedules with other Dr.s in order to get me on the schedule.  I was very busy at work when they called me, and am planning to call back to get more info tomorrow. I want to see if they can at least give me an idea of when I might be able to go back to work, I have to let them know before they will give me my FMLA paperwork.   I am scheduled to go in a week from today for my pre-op visit and will find out more then too.

I appreciate the information and will continue to reach out and ask questions as they come up.  I've been sooo busy at work it's been hard to find the time to get on line and research and ask questions, plus I have so many things I want to take care of before the surgery.  But I'm working on finding the time to do it. 

I know my husband will be a big help.  The Dr. said If I'm considering cutting my hair short I may want to go ahead and do it so it will be easier to take care of.  I told my husband this and he said he'd take care of my hair for me.  I may wait and go to a hairdresser after I'm healed up enough and see what they can do for me.

I hope everything continues to go well for you and your husband!

Kari

kbrenner
                                        Participant

Hazel,

Thank you for your response. I very glad to hear you are doing well and taht your husband is in a"no evidence of disease" state.  This was very knew to me when I first posted my question and I have begun to find out more information.

I saw my Dermatologist yesterday for a full body check and they are planning to remove one more very small spot on my foot after my scalp surgery.  Hopefully that will be nothing.  My dermatologist has had melanoma twice and is very nice and understanding and assured me I would be fine.  I've heard very good things about the plastic surgeon she had sent me to and I'm going to try to get more info from them.  I did find out late today that my surgery has been scheduled form Sept 10th.  They had to do some switching of schedules with other Dr.s in order to get me on the schedule.  I was very busy at work when they called me, and am planning to call back to get more info tomorrow. I want to see if they can at least give me an idea of when I might be able to go back to work, I have to let them know before they will give me my FMLA paperwork.   I am scheduled to go in a week from today for my pre-op visit and will find out more then too.

I appreciate the information and will continue to reach out and ask questions as they come up.  I've been sooo busy at work it's been hard to find the time to get on line and research and ask questions, plus I have so many things I want to take care of before the surgery.  But I'm working on finding the time to do it. 

I know my husband will be a big help.  The Dr. said If I'm considering cutting my hair short I may want to go ahead and do it so it will be easier to take care of.  I told my husband this and he said he'd take care of my hair for me.  I may wait and go to a hairdresser after I'm healed up enough and see what they can do for me.

Kari

kbrenner
                                          Participant

Hazel,

Kari

hbecker
                                            Participant

Hi Kari,

I'm guessing your case and my husband's are very different but will try to give you some suggestions. 

First, press your plastic surgeon for more information about the procedure and recovery. These doctors specialize in making skin grow back after surgery. But every case is different, so they really can't give you definitive answers about what you are facing.

Skin from your thigh or abdomen (where they took my husband's graft from) may be a different color than the skin on your scalp. Don't be surprised at this! And, you may feel tingling or numbness – or complete lack of sensation – in the area around the graft.

Follow the doctor's instructions about how much you need to restrict your activity after the surgery, so that the site where they take the skin graft from will heal properly.

I can't answer about whether the hair will grow back because my husband is partly bald and the graft was on the top of his head, where he didn't have any hair before the melanoma.

My husband came home from the hospital on the day of surgery with a pressure bandage wrapped around his head, and that bandage stayed on for a week. He also was told to sleep with his head elevated for several weeks (three or four) after the surgery. The graft needed to be cleaned and covered twice a day. If you can see the site in the mirror you may be able to do this yourself. Otherwise you may need a good friend to help.

If you are in an urban area where you can consult with a team of dermatologist/onocologist/surgeon/plastic surgeon who specialize in melanoma, you would be wise to do that.

Feel free to be in touch as you come up with more questions. There are many wonderful folks on this bulletin board who can help you understand about melanoma and make sure you have as much information as you can get to make the best decisions.

Best of luck!

~Hazel

P.S. we are doing extremely well, considering what we were expecting when I first posted this question! The sentinel node biopsies were clean and my husband is in a state called "no evidence of disease" since June 18, his date of surgery! 

hbecker
                                              Participant

Hi Kari,

Best of luck!

~Hazel

kbrenner
                                              Participant

If anyone can provide with more information I'd appreciate it.  I was diagnosed with melanoma 5 days ago and met with the plactic surgeon who informed me I would need a skin graph 3 days ago.  I had a mole removed from my scalp 1 1/2 weeks ago.  It was in the part line on the left side.  They will be taking a skin graph from my thigh for this.  I have very long hair and of course this area will need to be shaved.  The surgeon suggested parting my hair on the opposite side one it heals.  Also, maybe cutting by hair short so it will be easier to take care of.  I'm going back to the dermatologist tomorrow for a full body check and will talk to her about it, but wondered if anyone had any suggestions or had any experience with this.  Also wondering about clothing when getting back to work.  And the recovery time,  the Dr. was pretty vague about that.  Hope everyone out there that has experienced this is doing well. 

Thank you,

Kari

kbrenner
                                                Participant

Thank you,

Kari

kbrenner
                                                  Participant

Thank you,

Kari

kbrenner
                                                    Participant

Thank you,

Kari

kbrenner
                                                      Participant

Thank you,

Kari

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics