The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Skin checks

Forums General Melanoma Community Skin checks

Participant

.93 melanoma, stage 1b.  No sentinel node biopsy. Was told skin checks every 3 months.  A new dermatologist says every 6 months meets NCCN guidelines.  Who is correct?  Thanks.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MelanomaMike
        Participant
          Your post seems to be missing its introduction & beganing body..need more info..
          Janner
          Participant

Neither is wrong or right.  There has been no standard for a long time, just different institutions setting their own guidelines.  If NCCN says 6 months, then I'm glad there is someone taking a stand.  About 10% of melanoma warriors may have a second primary.  If you watch your own skin paying particular attention to new lesions, then you don't have to rely on a derm.  Watch your own skin for change and make an appt every six months. If something shows up that concerns you, make an appointment at that time.  I found all my three primaries and don't expect my derm to find anything I haven't already identified.  I go every six months.  I'm a long time out from my last primary but am at higher risk because I've had three already.  My institution says every six months for life for those with more than one. If you are vigilant, then six months is totally fine.  My last primary was very close to yours, 0.88mm and no SNB.  Stage 1b since 1992.

MelanomaMike
              Participant
                Wow Janner! I guess there was enuff of this person’s “post” to comment on, to me it sounded like walking into a room & joining in on a conversation that has begun 20 minutes before hand! Lol…
                Janner
                Participant

If you've been around as long as I have, you get to know the shorthand – and early stages are my specialty.  The OP gave me plenty to work with although more details are always welcome.

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics