The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Size of tumor vs In Situ = me so confused

Forums General Melanoma Community Size of tumor vs In Situ = me so confused

Participant

I am so new to this. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Malignant Melanoma In Situ.. The Surgeon went in and did another excision to get clear tissue. The original tumor size was 6mm x 8mm.  He told me no further treatment would be done.. Everything I have read so far is that is a big size that most In Situ are less than 1 mm… I have searched every site high and low… Does anyone have any insight? I lost my cousin a few years ago to Melanoma at age 32, this has me scared =(  Thank you!!

I am so new to this. I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with Malignant Melanoma In Situ.. The Surgeon went in and did another excision to get clear tissue. The original tumor size was 6mm x 8mm.  He told me no further treatment would be done.. Everything I have read so far is that is a big size that most In Situ are less than 1 mm… I have searched every site high and low… Does anyone have any insight? I lost my cousin a few years ago to Melanoma at age 32, this has me scared =(  Thank you!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        W.
        Participant

Hi,

6mm x 8mm is probably the width and the height of the tumor. These measurements are not important for prognosis.

The important measurement is the DEPTH, or more precisely the Breslow depth, i.e. how deeply has the tumor invaded the deeper layers of the skin.

I believe melanoma in situ has (by definition) a Breslow depth of 0. (Not completely sure here.)

So your prognosis should be excellent.

W.
          Participant

Hi,

6mm x 8mm is probably the width and the height of the tumor. These measurements are not important for prognosis.

The important measurement is the DEPTH, or more precisely the Breslow depth, i.e. how deeply has the tumor invaded the deeper layers of the skin.

I believe melanoma in situ has (by definition) a Breslow depth of 0. (Not completely sure here.)

So your prognosis should be excellent.

Janner
            Participant

The other responder is correct.  They removed a skin chunk 6mm x 8mm big.  (length x width).  Within that chunk, they found melanoma in situ.  Melanoma in situ is completely confined to the epidermis and has a Breslow depth of 0.  It is only when melanoma invades the dermis that it has a depth.  So, you have melanoma in situ and your prognosis is extremely good – basically touts a 100% 10 year survival rate.   Keep watching the scar area for any pigment regrowth.  Watch your other moles for CHANGE.  See your derm on regular interval…. and go out there and live life!

Best wishes,

Janner

jrami3
                Participant

From the copy of the report, the 6x8mm size was the tumor size. The excision size was 5×3 cm. I had 3 more moles removed tomorrow, and though both of my Derm and Primary doc feel there is no more tests needed. I am uneasy. The Derm is also the Pathologist. I have been reading on the site, the cases that do re-occur.. That confuses me more.

Janner
                  Participant

Recurrences from in situ rarely happen, and you can't project someone else's lesion onto your own.  You don't know who read their pathology, if they had another unknown primary or all their circumstances.  I've even seen some people say they have in situ melanoma, then mention a depth.  That's not in situ.  You also need to remember that THIS site will have all the exceptions.  The 99.9% of the population with in situ melanomas have no reason to post here.  Once they are past their initial diagnosis, why should they stick around?

The size of the tumor on the skin means nothing, you ONLY care about the depth.  In situ is no depth.  You can ask to have your slides sent to another pathologist.  A second opinion never hurts.  Find a major melanoma center near you and have their pathologist read your slides.

I also am moderator for a stage 0/1 private Yahoo email list.  This is only for melanoma patients.  If you want, send me an email and I can add you to the list.  This group of people know where you are coming from and have a similar prognosis to you.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                    Participant

Recurrences from in situ rarely happen, and you can't project someone else's lesion onto your own.  You don't know who read their pathology, if they had another unknown primary or all their circumstances.  I've even seen some people say they have in situ melanoma, then mention a depth.  That's not in situ.  You also need to remember that THIS site will have all the exceptions.  The 99.9% of the population with in situ melanomas have no reason to post here.  Once they are past their initial diagnosis, why should they stick around?

The size of the tumor on the skin means nothing, you ONLY care about the depth.  In situ is no depth.  You can ask to have your slides sent to another pathologist.  A second opinion never hurts.  Find a major melanoma center near you and have their pathologist read your slides.

I also am moderator for a stage 0/1 private Yahoo email list.  This is only for melanoma patients.  If you want, send me an email and I can add you to the list.  This group of people know where you are coming from and have a similar prognosis to you.

Best wishes,

Janner

jrami3
                      Participant

From the copy of the report, the 6x8mm size was the tumor size. The excision size was 5×3 cm. I had 3 more moles removed tomorrow, and though both of my Derm and Primary doc feel there is no more tests needed. I am uneasy. The Derm is also the Pathologist. I have been reading on the site, the cases that do re-occur.. That confuses me more.

Janner
                      Participant

The other responder is correct.  They removed a skin chunk 6mm x 8mm big.  (length x width).  Within that chunk, they found melanoma in situ.  Melanoma in situ is completely confined to the epidermis and has a Breslow depth of 0.  It is only when melanoma invades the dermis that it has a depth.  So, you have melanoma in situ and your prognosis is extremely good – basically touts a 100% 10 year survival rate.   Keep watching the scar area for any pigment regrowth.  Watch your other moles for CHANGE.  See your derm on regular interval…. and go out there and live life!

Best wishes,

Janner

Rydell
                        Participant

I was diagnosed with Melanoma in Situ in August 2009 and went every three months for check ups.  Fast forward to January 2011 and I'm recovering from a double craniotomy and diagnosed with Stage IV Melanoma. Be proactive and advocate for yourself.

jrami3
                            Participant

Thank you very much! I can only hope to learn, and pass on that same advice to others. 

jrami3
                              Participant

Thank you very much! I can only hope to learn, and pass on that same advice to others. 

Rydell
                              Participant

I was diagnosed with Melanoma in Situ in August 2009 and went every three months for check ups.  Fast forward to January 2011 and I'm recovering from a double craniotomy and diagnosed with Stage IV Melanoma. Be proactive and advocate for yourself.

MichaelFL
                                Participant

As already stated, insitu means in place and has no (or zero) Breslow depth, so this was the size of the piece of skin removed and not the tumor Breslow depth.

You have virtually a 100% 5 and 10 year chance of survival.

Congrats on catching this so early! Keep up the derm visits and watch yourself for "change".

Michael stage 1b

MichaelFL
                                  Participant

As already stated, insitu means in place and has no (or zero) Breslow depth, so this was the size of the piece of skin removed and not the tumor Breslow depth.

You have virtually a 100% 5 and 10 year chance of survival.

Congrats on catching this so early! Keep up the derm visits and watch yourself for "change".

Michael stage 1b

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics