The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Side effects with Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community Side effects with Zelboraf

Participant

Hello,

I am new on this forum.  I'm taking Zelboraf now for about 11 months.

I would like to know if anyone has the following side effects with Zelboraf (this started about three months ago – my last scan was NED)

– extreme cold feeling with goose bumps (even when the weather is warm) 

– followed by heavy sweating within a few seconds

This happens about twenty times a day and also during the night which causes me a lot of sleepless nights.

Greetings

Linda

Hello,

I am new on this forum.  I'm taking Zelboraf now for about 11 months.

I would like to know if anyone has the following side effects with Zelboraf (this started about three months ago – my last scan was NED)

– extreme cold feeling with goose bumps (even when the weather is warm) 

– followed by heavy sweating within a few seconds

This happens about twenty times a day and also during the night which causes me a lot of sleepless nights.

Greetings

Linda

Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Replies
        Owl
        Participant

Dear Linda,

happy to hear that Z is working so well for you. My husband is on Z for 7 months and more or less NED. He has got the normal side effects like sun sensivity, hair loss, very dry skin and rashes, joint pain…I have never heard of cold feeling or sweating as you are describing though it might be related to blood pressure issues. My husband was told to have a ECG done on a regular basis. Have you checked this with your docs?

All the best, Jenny

Owl
          Participant

Dear Linda,

happy to hear that Z is working so well for you. My husband is on Z for 7 months and more or less NED. He has got the normal side effects like sun sensivity, hair loss, very dry skin and rashes, joint pain…I have never heard of cold feeling or sweating as you are describing though it might be related to blood pressure issues. My husband was told to have a ECG done on a regular basis. Have you checked this with your docs?

All the best, Jenny

Owl
            Participant

Dear Linda,

All the best, Jenny

Linda56
              Participant

Hello Jenny,

Thank you for your reply.  I also have the same side effects that your husband has.  My hair is now growing again but very curly and there's not much that I can do about this.  My doctor told me that the sweating is probably related to menopausal effects (I'm 56, so it might be possible), but since I have also the cold feeling, I thought that it might have something to do with Z.  I will perhaps ask my doctor to do a ECG as you are suggesting, it's not a bad idea.

Kind regards Linda

Richard_K
                Participant
                  Linda, I can’t help with your specific side effect question but I would like to add to the ECG comment. One of the most serious side effects is QT prolongation; serious enough to have to stop taking Zelboraf. I’m still in the phase II clinical trial and I get three ECGs every six weeks. Probably overkill, but part of the trial protocol. Wishing you continued good luck on Zelboraf and help with your body temperature issues.
                  Richard_K
                  Participant
                    Linda, I can’t help with your specific side effect question but I would like to add to the ECG comment. One of the most serious side effects is QT prolongation; serious enough to have to stop taking Zelboraf. I’m still in the phase II clinical trial and I get three ECGs every six weeks. Probably overkill, but part of the trial protocol. Wishing you continued good luck on Zelboraf and help with your body temperature issues.
                    Richard_K
                    Participant
                      POW
                      Participant

Linda-

I agree with Dick. Zelboraf can cause heart damage which can lead to a heart attack and even death. When my brother was taking Z his doctor absolutely insisted that he have an EKG at least once a month (all were normal). I don't know what is causing your symptoms; it could be due to many things. But one thing that can cause the symptoms you are describing would be heart palpitations. Please get yourself checked out immediately.

Tim–MRF

I have not heard of that side effect, but it is possible.  You may want to call the patient support line that Genentech, the maker of Zelboraf, hosts.  It is staffed by oncology nurses and they will have worked with every side effect of the drug.

That number is (855) 935-2672.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

I have not heard of that side effect, but it is possible.  You may want to call the patient support line that Genentech, the maker of Zelboraf, hosts.  It is staffed by oncology nurses and they will have worked with every side effect of the drug.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

awillett1991
                              Participant
                                Linda,,

I had loads of side effects, including chills and sweating, you can check my profile. I had to go off a few days, then on half dose a week, then back to my 3 pills twice a day. I got to the point I couldn’t stay on it full time.

Amy

awillett1991
                                Participant
                                  Linda,,

I had loads of side effects, including chills and sweating, you can check my profile. I had to go off a few days, then on half dose a week, then back to my 3 pills twice a day. I got to the point I couldn’t stay on it full time.

Amy

awillett1991
                                  Participant
                                    Linda,,

Amy

Linda56
                                    Participant

Hello Dick,

I never had an ECG since I started with Zelboraf.  I have a pet-scan next Monday and  I will raise the question of the ECG with my oncologist next time. I' m in phase IV trial.

Thank you for your tip & best wishes.

Linda

Linda56
                                      Participant

Amy,

I had a look at your profile and I'm somewhat happy that someone recognizes my symptoms.  I will surely talk about this at my next visit with my oncologist.  Will keep you posted.

Thank you for your help.

Linda

Linda56
                                          Participant

Just an update on the above.  The side effects that I thought were coming from Zelboraf are solely due to menopausal symptons.  With the correct hormonal medication, these side effects have completely disappeared now.  My last scan showed a small lesion on my back, but after closer examination and excision it revealed to be a harmless sebasteous cyst.  This means that I'm still NED for almost six months, which is very good news. 
                                            Kindest regards.

Linda56
                                            Participant

Just an update on the above.  The side effects that I thought were coming from Zelboraf are solely due to menopausal symptons.  With the correct hormonal medication, these side effects have completely disappeared now.  My last scan showed a small lesion on my back, but after closer examination and excision it revealed to be a harmless sebasteous cyst.  This means that I'm still NED for almost six months, which is very good news. 
                                              Kindest regards.

Linda56
                                              Participant

Kindest regards.

Linda56
                                              Participant

I must say that I'm a little anxious now when reading about the QT prolongation and the possible heart damage.  I will surely raise the question at my next visit with my oncologist.  Next Monday, there is a pet-scan scheduled.  Thank you for your advice.  Will keep you posted.  Kind regards.  Linda

Linda56
                                                  Participant

Hello Jenny,

Thank you for your reply.  I also have the same side effects that your husband has.  My hair is now growing again but very curly and there's not much that I can do about this.  My doctor told me that the sweating is probably related to menopausal effects (I'm 56, so it might be possible), but since I have also the cold feeling, I thought that it might have something to do with Z.  I will perhaps ask my doctor to do a ECG as you are suggesting, it's not a bad idea.

Kind regards Linda

Linda56
                                                    Participant

Hello Jenny,

Kind regards Linda

POW
                                                    Participant

Linda-

I agree with Dick. Zelboraf can cause heart damage which can lead to a heart attack and even death. When my brother was taking Z his doctor absolutely insisted that he have an EKG at least once a month (all were normal). I don't know what is causing your symptoms; it could be due to many things. But one thing that can cause the symptoms you are describing would be heart palpitations. Please get yourself checked out immediately.

POW
                                                      Participant

Linda-

Linda56
                                                        Participant

Hello Dick,

I never had an ECG since I started with Zelboraf.  I have a pet-scan next Monday and  I will raise the question of the ECG with my oncologist next time. I' m in phase IV trial.

Linda

Linda56
                                                          Participant

Hello Dick,

Linda

Linda56
                                                            Participant

Amy,

I had a look at your profile and I'm somewhat happy that someone recognizes my symptoms.  I will surely talk about this at my next visit with my oncologist.  Will keep you posted.

Thank you for your help.

Linda

Linda56
                                                              Participant

Amy,

Thank you for your help.

Linda

Linda56
                                                                Participant

I must say that I'm a little anxious now when reading about the QT prolongation and the possible heart damage.  I will surely raise the question at my next visit with my oncologist.  Next Monday, there is a pet-scan scheduled.  Thank you for your advice.  Will keep you posted.  Kind regards.  Linda

Linda56
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics