The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Side Effects with BRAF Drugs

Forums General Melanoma Community Side Effects with BRAF Drugs

Participant

Has anyone had the side effect of mental confusion? I am on the BRAF drugs and ended up in the hospital with mental confusion. I am now on half the dose and not having a problem but with the full dose big problem. I had trouble with simple questions and have a loss of memory of about half a day.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jamieth29
        Participant
          I would push the docs to find out why. Have you had brain mri recently? I did have a low sodium condition from taf/mek and it did create mental confusion. I actually went strait to the hospital and had to get it under control. Low sodium can cause brain swelling and possible seizure. I would definitely find out the reason and have some tests done.
            braunerk
            Participant

While I was in the hospital they did a brain MRI which was negative and lots of testing and only came up with it being a rare side effect of the drugs.

braunerk
              Participant

While I was in the hospital they did a brain MRI which was negative and lots of testing and only came up with it being a rare side effect of the drugs.

braunerk
                Participant

jamieth29
                Participant
                  I would push the docs to find out why. Have you had brain mri recently? I did have a low sodium condition from taf/mek and it did create mental confusion. I actually went strait to the hospital and had to get it under control. Low sodium can cause brain swelling and possible seizure. I would definitely find out the reason and have some tests done.
                  jamieth29
                  Participant
                    hjkl
                    Participant

I work in a mentally demanding field, and have noticed trouble concentrating. My brain will get tired a lot faster and I need to take a lot of breaks.

A lot of it I attribute largely to the back pain I've been getting since starting, and general feeling of flu-like symptoms. (Including this week an actual fever.) All of which make it difficult to sit and think about abstract things.

hjkl
                      Participant

I work in a mentally demanding field, and have noticed trouble concentrating. My brain will get tired a lot faster and I need to take a lot of breaks.

A lot of it I attribute largely to the back pain I've been getting since starting, and general feeling of flu-like symptoms. (Including this week an actual fever.) All of which make it difficult to sit and think about abstract things.

hjkl
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics