The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Side effects of Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Side effects of Yervoy

Participant

Good afternoon all the worriers on this forum.

My history is well recorded, I think.

Since my last posting my oncologist has recommended I go onto IPI / Yervoy taken as a combo with something else.

Please can you share your experience with me about this drug in terms of side effects, how it is administered and whether it is effective..

We are still waiting for the Medical Aid to authorise it. Apparantly it costs about just over ZAR R800 000  fo a 4 cycle course taken once every 21 days.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

God bless you all.

Wally

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        UBContributor
        Participant

Following and wanted to say good luck with your treatment. Pls update us regularly.

WallyE
            Participant

Thank you – much appreciated.

jennunicorn
            Participant

The immunotherapy drugs all have similar side effects. Ipi tends to give more people the bad side effects compared with the other drugs like Nivo (Opdivo) and Pembro (Keytruda). Sounds like you'll be doing the Ipi/Nivo combo. One thing to remember: not everyone gets a bunch of side effects. Fatigue is something almost everyone experiences to some degree on these drugs. The side effects that you should be aware of in order to let your oncologist know as soon as you have symptoms of them are things like Colitis (persistant diarrhea, blood in stools) and Hormone gland problems that can include thyroid, pituitary, adrenal glands (persistant bad headache, mood changes, dizziness). Your oncologist should go over all of the side effects with you and let you know of the specific symptoms you should be aware of that they will need to know about as soon as you have them.. the sooner your oncologist knows what's going on, the better chance of stopping something from getting too serious. 

I did Ipi both for adjuvant treatment and then I did Ipi with the combo, so I have had in total 10 Ipi doses. I never had a bad side effect, the worst I ever felt was after my last Ipi dose I had a 2 week fever and high liver enzymes. But it went away and my liver went back to normal. I also deal with joint pain/inflammation and my eczema flares up.. something I had before treatment. Skin rashes can also happen on Ipi, can range from mild itching which a good lotion or topical steroid ointment can help with to grade 3 and 4 rash where more serious treatment of the rash needs to take place. Another thing you should know and if you start to see a rash or get really itchy, let your oncologist know.

It is administered through IV infusion, Ipi takes 90 minutes. The whole infusion process takes quite a bit longer. If you are doing the Ipi/Nivo combo, then you'll also get Nivo at the same infusion, separately, and that takes 60 minutes.

Hoping it all goes smoothly for you and takes care of the mel once and for all.

WallyE
                Participant

You guys are all fantastic with your responses. I am quite overwhelmed and quite emotional as I have been through much drama the last 18 months and now this place where surgery to remove the tumours is no longer an option. Previously they were single and could easily be resected. Yes, they are trying to get authority for the IPI / Nivo combo. I am hoping to get a response in 2 week's time. I take it the whole process will then take about 150 minutes? Wow, that is a long time but probably worth it. I was on Interferon for 3 months last year and the side effects appear to be much the same. Currently I am on some Hormone treatment involving an injection every 3 months.This seems to make me suffer a mid life crisis as I have tremendous heat build-up in my body when I sweat quite protrusively for a minute or two – very disturbing at night as it seem to occur every 60 to 90 minutes interrupting my sleep severely – followed by cold jitters before it all calms down until the next session starts.

Anyway, once again thank you for your fantastic input. I did a Google search but needed to know what to expect through the experiences of other people.

Kindest regards to you all

Wally

Gene_S
                  Participant

Hi Wally,

While the infusions will take only a total of 150 minutes.  You must see the doctor before each treatment, have blood drawn and wait for the results, wait for the phamacist at the location to mix up the drugs as they are never pre mixed until the test results are in and the doctor gives the okay and there is an observation time at the end to see if you are having any side effects.  My husband only did Ipi and we usually spent between 3 to 4 hours with each infusion day.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV, Ipi Clinical Trial and now NED for 4 years 9 months) 

WallyE
                    Participant

Thank you Judy. I note that your husband has been NED for over 4 years now – was this as a result if the IPI?

That sounds fantastic – gives me hope for a total cure. I have been fighting this beast since 2006 and need to get rid of it now.

God is our saviour.

All the best

Wally

Gene_S
                      Participant

Hi Wally

It was the result of the Ipi and GMCSF Clinical Trial.  He first started the melanoma road in Jan. 2008 with a 10.5 mm lesion.  So he started out at Stage III.  Became Stage IV in Oct. of 2010 and started the clinical trial in Mar. 2011.  He became NED in July 2012.  He stayed on the Ipi and GMCSF maintenance doses until Dec. 2013.  He could have stayed on it longer but since he was cancer free for over a year he wanted off of the medicine.

Judy (loving wife of Gene and NED for over 4 years)

jennunicorn
                        Participant

Side effects are actually quite different from Interferon. These new drugs are much easier to deal with in terms of regular every day life, won't make you feel like you have a terrible flu or make you depressed. But the side effects that are possible, but not certain, can be serious which is why you just have to be aware of what to look out for just in case. 

Hope it goes well for you, and as Judy mentioned,  the whole day of an infusion is quite long with delays and doctor visits and everything.. take a good book, a friend, even a board game (I brought a friend and Scrabble with me), whatever you like to do when you're stuck having to kill some time.

Bubbles
                        Participant

Hi Wally, 

Sorry for all you have been dealing with.  To answer you properly it makes a real difference to know what your docs are planning to combine ipi with.  These days they are many combination treatment options.

Here's a basic break down:  

Ipilimumab/Yervoy is an anti-CTLA4 product in the category of immunotherapy.  Immunotherapy does not attack the tumor directly the way old school chemo does (as a poison that kills the bad cells and often, unfortunately, along with some good ones).  Rather, immunotherapy causes your immune cells to be fired up and take their blinders off so that they can "see" and "attack" the melanoma…getting rid of it!!!  As such, it makes sense that side effects are related to the immune system being released.  You know those adds about all the therapies that calm down the immune system to help folks with arthritis, asthma, psoriasis, colitis??  Well, immunotherapy does the opposite and therefore the most common side effects are: fatigue, rash, colittis (often presents as diarrhea), pneumonitis (inflammation in the lungs that often presents as wheezing), arthralgias (joint pain), etc.  Some folks end up having certain glands stop working leading to diabetes or hypothyroidism.  There are plenty of other strange, not so common side effects as well.  The good news is that many folks develop very few or mild side effects.  The other good news is that since ratties were taking this drug in trials back in 2009/2010, we have learned a great deal about how to recognize side effects early and treat them (with stopping the drug and giving medicines like prednisone if needed) making treatments much less debilitating for most patients.  The drug is given in a vein. Ipi has about a 15% response rate when given alone.

Anti-PD1 (Nivolumab/Opdivo or Pembrolizumab/Keytruda) are also immunotherapy products.  They work as pretty much as ipi does and their side effect profile is about the same except most of the time much milder.  Alone, they have about a 40% response rate.  They are also given in a vein…frequency varies, but often every 2-3 weeks…depending on the patient, the doctor, and the protocol or trial that may be being followed.

Currently, the best response rate going is when ipi is combined with nivo.  Side effects are usually due to ipi if they occur and as such sometimes if patients can't tolerate the side effects, docs will stop the ipi and just give the nivo.  Response rates are around 50% or higher.

Here is a post that covers an update on a group of ratties who first took the combo: http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/06/asco-2016-checkmate-067-ipinivo-combo.html  

So…I'm guessing that is what your treatment plan will be….however, if ipi is going to be combined with something else….let the board know and we might can give pertinent info.  I wish you well.  Celeste

WallyE
                            Participant

Hi Celeste, thanks a ton for your input. I responded above. I am having a combo with Nivo.

Kind regards

Wally

MichelleRHG
                            Participant
                              If you search yervoy here I’m sure you will find lots of information ! I am stage 3B and had my 2nd yervoy infusion yesterday . So far everything is fine . I have it alone not a combo . good luck
                                MichelleRHG
                                Participant
                                  Oops wrote the b4 Jenn and Celeste replied with all their great info…..I,just didn’t hit the button till now. : )
                                dmturner
                                Participant

I just finished my 4th combo on Thursday.  Minimal side effects.  I think or it seems I am a slow responder.  My tumors in my lymph nodes did swell or grow after my 2nd dose right before my 3rd which was put off for a week cause of vacation.  But after the 3rd dose they seem to shrink after about 7 days..  I was in so much pain in my abdomen, pelvic area I was in pain every time I lift my right foot.  I do have intransit lesions that have not shrank but hoping they will before my Opdivo only infusion in 3 weeks.   Doc has order scans before next part of treatment.

I did get my 1st Explanation of Benefit and the Yervoy is crazy expensive and the insurance has not paid that part as of yet (1/15/2017), waiting on more detail information from cancer center.  $93,000.00 us$ for total of one treatment.

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

You shouldn't be paying for any of the drugs, so hopefully that gets sorted out for you. I remember the first time I saw the pharmacy bill for $102,000.. my part was $0.. but seeing a number like that is shocking. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics