The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Side effects and in a trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Side effects and in a trial

Participant

Hi!

I am in a trial, nivolumab/dacarbazin. If I suffer from side effects such as colite can I still be part of the trial or do I have to pause the trial until I am cured from the side effect. Can I be totally neglected to go on with the trial.  if I have another cancer than melanoma in my guts can I still be in the trial. I have blood and slime in my stools and suppose I have to report this to the doctors in the trial. I so want to go on with the trial.  I am hoping for answer. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hi Ninniditti,

The important thing to know is that any immunotherapy (ipi/yervoy, any of the anti-PD1 products) can cause colitis…inflammation of the intestinal track…that can result in diarrhea, abdominal pain, stools as you describe, dehydration, etc.  At this point I think it is imperative that you let your doctor know about your symptoms so that they can be helped before they become worse.  I doubt your symptoms are caused by some other sort of cancer, rather they are much more likely to be due to your treatment.  As to whether or not you can remain on the trial depends on the criteria of your particular trial.  It also depends on whether your body can tolerate the treatment or not.  I don't want you to get any sicker, so please talk to your doctor and they can give you medicines to help you feel better and then decide what you should do next.

Wishing you the best. Celeste

Bubbles
          Participant

Hi Ninniditti,

The important thing to know is that any immunotherapy (ipi/yervoy, any of the anti-PD1 products) can cause colitis…inflammation of the intestinal track…that can result in diarrhea, abdominal pain, stools as you describe, dehydration, etc.  At this point I think it is imperative that you let your doctor know about your symptoms so that they can be helped before they become worse.  I doubt your symptoms are caused by some other sort of cancer, rather they are much more likely to be due to your treatment.  As to whether or not you can remain on the trial depends on the criteria of your particular trial.  It also depends on whether your body can tolerate the treatment or not.  I don't want you to get any sicker, so please talk to your doctor and they can give you medicines to help you feel better and then decide what you should do next.

Bubbles
            Participant

Hi Ninniditti,

LuckyMan51
              Participant

You should inform your Oncologist immediately. Perhaps your symptoms can be eased by steroids or a short pause and you can remain in the trail vs your suffering worsening complications that might require hospitalization and your being pulled from the trail. I think we all understand your difficulty with the decision but it would certainly be a shame to kill yourself while trying to save yourself. Good luck. 

LuckyMan51
                Participant

You should inform your Oncologist immediately. Perhaps your symptoms can be eased by steroids or a short pause and you can remain in the trail vs your suffering worsening complications that might require hospitalization and your being pulled from the trail. I think we all understand your difficulty with the decision but it would certainly be a shame to kill yourself while trying to save yourself. Good luck. 

LuckyMan51
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics