The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Should I take While Brain Radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community Should I take While Brain Radiation

Participant
      I was diagnosed in January of FY20.  Unknown primary of my parotid gland. Anyway fast forward to 6 months ago. I was on IPI/NIVO and doing fine. Got colitis, then myositis.  The doctors dropped the ball at MDA and didn’t run a MRI like they always have. Blamed COVID and pushed to a different doctor that misdiagnosed me with arthritis. So I did not have immunotherapy during this whole time. 6 months of nothing. So I went for a MRI and was told I need gamma knife but when I went back for surgery, I was told Whole Brain was the only thing left. Tumors are 23 and 4 are 2 cm. They said they would consider IPI/NIVO again since I had a good response but want to put me on a Chemo drug while I take the or if I take Whole Brain. They said to prepare for end of life. Confused. What should I do?  What would you guys do?

sincerely,

Trent

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Hey Trent,

I am so sorry you are facing all this.  While the science of treating melanoma has improved greatly over the years, so much of what we choose as treatment, the order we choose to do it in, and all that – boils down to personal preference.  Whether or not to do WBR is a personal decision.  Only the person facing it at the time can really speak with any authority.  I do know that some here have thrived after having been dealt similar cards and were treated in that manner.  “Barb”  whose handle is “sister of patient” – recently noted this:

Not 5 years yet but in the 5th – so happy to report that my sister, Leisa, remains NED!!!

The site’s changed so much and most of the profile info seems wiped out (maybe it’s there and I can’t find it) but I’ll just add that this is NED after a huge tumour load in bones and organs and hundreds of micro-mets in her brain. Immunotherapy (mostly nivo) and WBR did it all!!!

Please, never lose hope ..!!.. though I know that’s much easier said than done!!

Big hugs to all.  Barb

Will be holding you in my heart and wishing you my best ~ whatever you decide.  celeste

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics