The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ship happens…a lot.

Forums General Melanoma Community Ship happens…a lot.

Participant

So, I'm a little stressed with all that's going on in my life…my son is back in the hospital not feeling well at all –BUT he is cheerful ( I like that about him) .  He was hysterically laughing this morning when I told him that the priest from our old parish called to advise that the wedding invitation  my son's fiancee sent was "hinkey"… The directions included the number at the resort to reserve rooms for the weekend and when the priest called …it connected him to "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS!!

So, I'm a little stressed with all that's going on in my life…my son is back in the hospital not feeling well at all –BUT he is cheerful ( I like that about him) .  He was hysterically laughing this morning when I told him that the priest from our old parish called to advise that the wedding invitation  my son's fiancee sent was "hinkey"… The directions included the number at the resort to reserve rooms for the weekend and when the priest called …it connected him to "GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS!! For a good time press number…" 

Seems the fiancee gave the printer the wrong number!  ( the priest laughed, too).  I already knew as my 80 year old aunt had called me a couple of days ago expressing her mock, giggly horror – SO funny.  The fiancee doesn't think so….she doesn't  have any sense of  humor. I worry about my son's future.

Son was released from hospital last Monday ..but nauseous all week/sick…started  vomiting blood again and now it's coming from other locations. He will have a procedure today to figure out what's going on  . I'm out of my mind ( I want to take him to a real hospital in Baltimore, but I'm afraid he will bleed to death on the drive down there) … I don't like this hospital at all…waiting for pain meds takes forever,  the room is dirty and smells, the nurse on duty last night looks like she hasn't combed her hair in months..even the curtain that wraps around the bed has visible stains! AND they don't have wifi? WHAT kind of place is this? He will get some sort of drug resistant bacteria for sure. I had to hold a bottle of scented hand cream to my nose while there- it is that bad. His fiancee is a nurse in this health care system-he wants to be where she is and refuses to listen to his Mommy.  I am NOT liking this trend…( AND she's wearing colored clod-hoppers under her pretty, ivory, crystal beaded wedding gown?!? WTH?)

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        Yawn
        Participant

What are clod-hoppers? Google says it's a kind of candy.

Yawn
          Participant

What are clod-hoppers? Google says it's a kind of candy.

TinaR
              Participant

Oh, that Google, almost as confused as you are by some of my words…GOBSTOPPERS are candy…clod-hoppers are clunky, gross shoes…in this case, blue, ugly, thick heeled, scuffed shoes she found in her closet.  She said they  fulfill the 'something blue" requirement AND the " something old" .  Apparently, she's unaware that 'something ugly as shit" isn't included in the bridal tradition.

Yawn
                Participant

You mean clogs?

I don't know much about this, but isn't the "something blue" and "something old" supposed to be given to you by somebody else? Not something you already own.  If I'm right, I think you should hold it against her.

TinaR
                  Participant

Hmmmm, maybe that's true!  I'll have to do some research. I don't know much about it either…the only involvement I had with my step daughter's wedding plans was writing the checks and I was married by a county clerk in a prisoner interrogation room- wearing a trench coat ( now that I think about it, who am *I* to talk ship about her choices 😉

If that's the case, I'm buying her nice shoes AND a blue something or another- Janner mentioned Sapphires…uh, no.  I like her well enough, but not enough to start buying jewelry !

The shoes are almost clogs ( which would be a few steps up on the ugly scale)…think a leather mary jane type shoe in clog proportions with scuffy, chunky heel. Reminds me of something crunchy hippies would wear if they wanted to look ultra impoverished when they took up pan-handling for a living.

You know, fashion-wise…clogs are all the rage this season…maybe she is fashion forward and I'm not appreciating her properly? Nah.

Yawn
                    Participant

Is this the same girl in the photo you posted a long time ago – they were sitting across the table from one another? 

TinaR
                      Participant

No, she was four or five girls ago ( 2007 ish)- she's already married and pregnant- she was a wee bit crunchy, too- actually her parents were more the crunches.  This one is an 'older woman'…she's 30 ( he will be 24 end of October). She is nice enough. The girl three girls ago – I really liked. She was tall,thin,  blond, blue eyed but more important cheerful and so friendly. BUT you can't pick who you love or who your kids love…but the shoes, can't I just pick the shoes?

Yawn
                        Participant

"You can't pick who you love or who your kids love…but the shoes, can't I just pick the shoes?" 

You should use this line as your mother-of-the-groom speech at their wedding.

TinaR
                          Participant

Oh, great. I didn't know I had to make a speech! I thought I just had to do extreme dieting, pay for a bunch of stuff, dance with the groom and disappear into the background ( oh, and complain a bit) . I'm buying her new, DECENT shoes – so I'm going to pass on the speech.

Oh, yeah, the dance….my son picked the Frank Sinatra song " "I Get A Kick Out Of You" for our dance ( he thinks I'm funny — ha ha funny or the weird kind, I'm not sure)…the bride to be nixed it…thinks it sounds a little incestuous (?!?!). They've yet to pick another…I'll suggest "TAPS" …waaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  

Yawn
                            Participant

Your husband has to do a speech, but I don't know about the groom's mother. If I were you, I'd stand up and protest as soon as you hear, "… or forever hold your peace."  

Incest?  Have you met her uncle? I'd be suspicious after a comment like that.

TinaR
                              Participant

I've not met him…maybe that's why my son has an ulcer. That's a little scary …especially considering any future grandchildren.  I'll have to pay attention to her family.

I don't know why the conversation is on top…maybe because it's active? I liked the multiple choice of post or thread. I  always had mine set on thread so my forgetful brain could follow the conversation…but I know some ( like your boy friend John) liked his on post – he felt you could monitor people better this way-ha!  As it is now, I have all the posts come to my e-mail so I have NO idea who is replying to what or where each reply is buried on the board. Bizarre.

I was going to insert an image here ( of my kids at the hospital this evening)….and this is what came up…WTH?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Maecenas feugiat consequat diam. Maecenas metus. Vivamus diam purus, cursus a, commodo non, facilisis vitae, nulla. Aenean dictum lacinia tortor. Nunc iaculis, nibh non iaculis aliquam, orci felis euismod neque, sed ornare massa mauris sed velit. Nulla pretium mi et risus. Fusce mi pede, tempor id, cursus ac, ullamcorper nec, enim. Sed tortor. Curabitur molestie. Duis velit augue, condimentum at, ultrices a, luctus ut, orci. Donec pellentesque egestas eros. Integer cursus, augue in cursus faucibus, eros pede bibendum sem, in tempus tellus justo quis ligula. Etiam eget tortor. Vestibulum rutrum, est ut placerat elementum, lectus nisl aliquam velit, tempor aliquam eros nunc nonummy metus. In eros metus, gravida a, gravida sed, lobortis id, turpis. Ut ultrices, ipsum at venenatis fringilla, sem nulla lacinia tellus, eget aliquet turpis mauris non enim. Nam turpis. Suspendisse lacinia. Curabitur ac tortor ut ipsum egestas elementum. Nunc imperdiet gravida mauris.

TinaR
                                Participant

I've not met him…maybe that's why my son has an ulcer. That's a little scary …especially considering any future grandchildren.  I'll have to pay attention to her family.

I don't know why the conversation is on top…maybe because it's active? I liked the multiple choice of post or thread. I  always had mine set on thread so my forgetful brain could follow the conversation…but I know some ( like your boy friend John) liked his on post – he felt you could monitor people better this way-ha!  As it is now, I have all the posts come to my e-mail so I have NO idea who is replying to what or where each reply is buried on the board. Bizarre.

I was going to insert an image here ( of my kids at the hospital this evening)….and this is what came up…WTH?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Maecenas feugiat consequat diam. Maecenas metus. Vivamus diam purus, cursus a, commodo non, facilisis vitae, nulla. Aenean dictum lacinia tortor. Nunc iaculis, nibh non iaculis aliquam, orci felis euismod neque, sed ornare massa mauris sed velit. Nulla pretium mi et risus. Fusce mi pede, tempor id, cursus ac, ullamcorper nec, enim. Sed tortor. Curabitur molestie. Duis velit augue, condimentum at, ultrices a, luctus ut, orci. Donec pellentesque egestas eros. Integer cursus, augue in cursus faucibus, eros pede bibendum sem, in tempus tellus justo quis ligula. Etiam eget tortor. Vestibulum rutrum, est ut placerat elementum, lectus nisl aliquam velit, tempor aliquam eros nunc nonummy metus. In eros metus, gravida a, gravida sed, lobortis id, turpis. Ut ultrices, ipsum at venenatis fringilla, sem nulla lacinia tellus, eget aliquet turpis mauris non enim. Nam turpis. Suspendisse lacinia. Curabitur ac tortor ut ipsum egestas elementum. Nunc imperdiet gravida mauris.

Yawn
                                  Participant

Is it true that when your daughter marries you gain a son, and when your son marries you gain an enemy?

Yawn
                                    Participant

Is it true that when your daughter marries you gain a son, and when your son marries you gain an enemy?

TinaR
                                      Participant

My mother-in-law adored me…but I'm adorable so, you know, it was easy.  Time will tell on this one..but I definitely feel a chill in the air…

TinaR
                                        Participant

My mother-in-law adored me…but I'm adorable so, you know, it was easy.  Time will tell on this one..but I definitely feel a chill in the air…

Yawn
                                          Participant

Why are there 72 views on this thread and we're the only ones responding?  If this were the Darkside, it'd be a ship-fest with a thread ten miles long. There would be photos of BillMFL's 200-year-old wiener and a youtube video of me taking a leak on the side of my building.  We'd see the evidence of Amy admiring her latest work as she hit the refresh button 600 times.  And DanT typing some shit only he and God understands. 

It's hard coming back to this place. 

Yawn
                                            Participant

Why are there 72 views on this thread and we're the only ones responding?  If this were the Darkside, it'd be a ship-fest with a thread ten miles long. There would be photos of BillMFL's 200-year-old wiener and a youtube video of me taking a leak on the side of my building.  We'd see the evidence of Amy admiring her latest work as she hit the refresh button 600 times.  And DanT typing some shit only he and God understands. 

It's hard coming back to this place. 

TinaR
                                              Participant

So true, all but the Dan thing…as long as he uses Morris code it's crystal clear.  Must be the concentration aspect  of translating…it focuses his train of thought.  Bill's weiner must have been before my time.

I wonder who those 72 people are and what they are thinking…if  only they'd share…

TinaR
                                                Participant

So true, all but the Dan thing…as long as he uses Morris code it's crystal clear.  Must be the concentration aspect  of translating…it focuses his train of thought.  Bill's weiner must have been before my time.

I wonder who those 72 people are and what they are thinking…if  only they'd share…

Yawn
                                                  Participant

They don't share because all 72 people are thinking, "Who are these guys? How do they know each other? What's the Darkside? What are they talking about? I thought this was supposed to be a melanoma info. board?" 

They're already disoriented by their diagnosis. Then they come here and think, "Whuh? What is this place?"

Yawn
                                                    Participant

They don't share because all 72 people are thinking, "Who are these guys? How do they know each other? What's the Darkside? What are they talking about? I thought this was supposed to be a melanoma info. board?" 

They're already disoriented by their diagnosis. Then they come here and think, "Whuh? What is this place?"

TinaR
                                                      Participant

That's really sorta funny…but how did this horrible shift come about? How do you not know what this place is? Are all of the now 90+ people new? Or are they old posters DELIBERATELY withholding ?  You of all people know how I feel about withholding.  NOT NICE. 

WHATEVER can we do about this…

TinaR
                                                        Participant

That's really sorta funny…but how did this horrible shift come about? How do you not know what this place is? Are all of the now 90+ people new? Or are they old posters DELIBERATELY withholding ?  You of all people know how I feel about withholding.  NOT NICE. 

WHATEVER can we do about this…

dian in spokane
                                                          Participant

I"m deliberately withholding…

dian in spokane
                                                            Participant

I"m deliberately withholding…

TinaR
                                                              Participant

You have to give give give until it hurts, dian.

TinaR
                                                                Participant

You have to give give give until it hurts, dian.

Yawn
                                                                  Participant

We can't do anything. What was done to this place has to be undone. 

TinaR
                                                                    Participant

and they'll never do that 🙁

TinaR
                                                                      Participant

and they'll never do that 🙁

Yawn
                                                                        Participant

We can't do anything. What was done to this place has to be undone. 

Jocelyn
                                                                          Participant

Well i think the 72 or whatever we see there are many of the people who have always been here. I log in now and then, but always get kicked out at some point, even if I have opted to stay logged in. So I just read, and if i don't have anything to say, I just don't bother to log in. I am still using that cumbersome password they gave me, and have tried to change it but the program doesn't like any of the passwords i try to create. Only complex passwords are acceptable here. So half the time, or most of the time really, I am one of those "visitors" who have actually been here for years. i bet many of those "visitors" are doing the same thing, or they are old timers who still haven't bothered to register.

And as far as what they are thinking, probably nothing.

Jocelyn
                                                                            Participant

Oh, and as far as the "view" number goes, many of them are just us looking back at the thread again to see if anything is new or to try and figure it out. Take the number of people who are posting in this thread, and figure in how many times they have looked back at it.

Oh, dear, we are really so alone here, numbers notwithstanding.

Jocelyn
                                                                              Participant

Oh, and as far as the "view" number goes, many of them are just us looking back at the thread again to see if anything is new or to try and figure it out. Take the number of people who are posting in this thread, and figure in how many times they have looked back at it.

Oh, dear, we are really so alone here, numbers notwithstanding.

Jocelyn
                                                                                Participant

Well i think the 72 or whatever we see there are many of the people who have always been here. I log in now and then, but always get kicked out at some point, even if I have opted to stay logged in. So I just read, and if i don't have anything to say, I just don't bother to log in. I am still using that cumbersome password they gave me, and have tried to change it but the program doesn't like any of the passwords i try to create. Only complex passwords are acceptable here. So half the time, or most of the time really, I am one of those "visitors" who have actually been here for years. i bet many of those "visitors" are doing the same thing, or they are old timers who still haven't bothered to register.

And as far as what they are thinking, probably nothing.

Yawn
                                                                                  Participant

Your husband has to do a speech, but I don't know about the groom's mother. If I were you, I'd stand up and protest as soon as you hear, "… or forever hold your peace."  

Incest?  Have you met her uncle? I'd be suspicious after a comment like that.

Yawn
                                                                                    Participant

By the way, why is this conversation at the top of the forum?   

MRF = fail. 

Yawn
                                                                                      Participant

By the way, why is this conversation at the top of the forum?   

MRF = fail. 

LV
                                                                                        Participant

most recent activity.

LV
                                                                                          Participant

most recent activity.

TinaR
                                                                                            Participant

Oh, great. I didn't know I had to make a speech! I thought I just had to do extreme dieting, pay for a bunch of stuff, dance with the groom and disappear into the background ( oh, and complain a bit) . I'm buying her new, DECENT shoes – so I'm going to pass on the speech.

Oh, yeah, the dance….my son picked the Frank Sinatra song " "I Get A Kick Out Of You" for our dance ( he thinks I'm funny — ha ha funny or the weird kind, I'm not sure)…the bride to be nixed it…thinks it sounds a little incestuous (?!?!). They've yet to pick another…I'll suggest "TAPS" …waaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  

Yawn
                                                                                              Participant

"You can't pick who you love or who your kids love…but the shoes, can't I just pick the shoes?" 

You should use this line as your mother-of-the-groom speech at their wedding.

TinaR
                                                                                                Participant

No, she was four or five girls ago ( 2007 ish)- she's already married and pregnant- she was a wee bit crunchy, too- actually her parents were more the crunches.  This one is an 'older woman'…she's 30 ( he will be 24 end of October). She is nice enough. The girl three girls ago – I really liked. She was tall,thin,  blond, blue eyed but more important cheerful and so friendly. BUT you can't pick who you love or who your kids love…but the shoes, can't I just pick the shoes?

Yawn
                                                                                                  Participant

Is this the same girl in the photo you posted a long time ago – they were sitting across the table from one another? 

TinaR
                                                                                                    Participant

Hmmmm, maybe that's true!  I'll have to do some research. I don't know much about it either…the only involvement I had with my step daughter's wedding plans was writing the checks and I was married by a county clerk in a prisoner interrogation room- wearing a trench coat ( now that I think about it, who am *I* to talk ship about her choices 😉

If that's the case, I'm buying her nice shoes AND a blue something or another- Janner mentioned Sapphires…uh, no.  I like her well enough, but not enough to start buying jewelry !

The shoes are almost clogs ( which would be a few steps up on the ugly scale)…think a leather mary jane type shoe in clog proportions with scuffy, chunky heel. Reminds me of something crunchy hippies would wear if they wanted to look ultra impoverished when they took up pan-handling for a living.

You know, fashion-wise…clogs are all the rage this season…maybe she is fashion forward and I'm not appreciating her properly? Nah.

Yawn
                                                                                                      Participant

You mean clogs?

I don't know much about this, but isn't the "something blue" and "something old" supposed to be given to you by somebody else? Not something you already own.  If I'm right, I think you should hold it against her.

KyCyn
                                                                                                        Participant

What is it with clogs?  An old renter just recently sent me her wedding pictures – the dresses were devine, the flowers were lovely…. but on the brides' feet, and the bride-ettes feet (suddenly can't remember the proper term for all the girls in the wedding!) were these UGLY, colored-to-match-the-dresses clogs. 

I don't understand. 

I think everyone should go barefoot as I did 🙂

TinaR
                                                                                                          Participant

No, not unless there's a mandated Pedi-Egg issued with every Engagement ring. Some women should keep their feet covered. ( your's were lovely).

They're *Bridesmaids*. Bride-ettes are the children the cradle robbers on Sister Wives are marrying.  

TinaR
                                                                                                            Participant

take out the apostrophe- quick!  I see John is trolling the board as the grammar/punctuation cop — I am flying under his radar these days & I want to keep it that way!

TinaR
                                                                                                              Participant

take out the apostrophe- quick!  I see John is trolling the board as the grammar/punctuation cop — I am flying under his radar these days & I want to keep it that way!

TinaR
                                                                                                                Participant

No, not unless there's a mandated Pedi-Egg issued with every Engagement ring. Some women should keep their feet covered. ( your's were lovely).

They're *Bridesmaids*. Bride-ettes are the children the cradle robbers on Sister Wives are marrying.  

KyCyn
                                                                                                                  Participant

What is it with clogs?  An old renter just recently sent me her wedding pictures – the dresses were devine, the flowers were lovely…. but on the brides' feet, and the bride-ettes feet (suddenly can't remember the proper term for all the girls in the wedding!) were these UGLY, colored-to-match-the-dresses clogs. 

I don't understand. 

I think everyone should go barefoot as I did 🙂

TinaR
                                                                                                                    Participant

Oh, that Google, almost as confused as you are by some of my words…GOBSTOPPERS are candy…clod-hoppers are clunky, gross shoes…in this case, blue, ugly, thick heeled, scuffed shoes she found in her closet.  She said they  fulfill the 'something blue" requirement AND the " something old" .  Apparently, she's unaware that 'something ugly as shit" isn't included in the bridal tradition.

DebbieH
                                                                                                                    Participant

I hope by now Adam is doing better and will be home for good soon.  What a mess – and the stress of an upcoming wedding can't be helping.

That's funny about the wrong number – I hope the fiancee finds a sense of humor soon!!

I hope she changes her mind about the clod-hoppers.  I've seen brides wear pimped out tennis shoes under their wedding gowns but, no matter how beautiful the gown, they just look like some farmer behind a plow, walking up that aisle.  You cannot walk like a bride in shoes like that! 

jag
                                                                                                                        Participant

I'm sure your husband had a nice feed bag ready for you at the end of aisle when you wore your clod hoppers.

DebbieH
                                                                                                                          Participant

Oh – that was just brilliant!  Bravo!

How long did it take you to think that up – this is about the level the otbb has sunk to…….

DebbieH
                                                                                                                            Participant

Oh – that was just brilliant!  Bravo!

How long did it take you to think that up – this is about the level the otbb has sunk to…….

jag
                                                                                                                              Participant

I'm sure your husband had a nice feed bag ready for you at the end of aisle when you wore your clod hoppers.

DebbieH
                                                                                                                              Participant

I hope by now Adam is doing better and will be home for good soon.  What a mess – and the stress of an upcoming wedding can't be helping.

That's funny about the wrong number – I hope the fiancee finds a sense of humor soon!!

I hope she changes her mind about the clod-hoppers.  I've seen brides wear pimped out tennis shoes under their wedding gowns but, no matter how beautiful the gown, they just look like some farmer behind a plow, walking up that aisle.  You cannot walk like a bride in shoes like that! 

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                                                Participant

Gee Rox… what a muddle.  up here we do have a candy called "clod-hoppers'  some sort of caramel, crunch, chocolate blobs, nuts all like clods of dirt I guess.  But we also (or I also) know what clod hopper shoes would look like under a nice beaded dress.   Some brides even opt for CONVERSE sneakers….   I am also sort of from the bylines involved in a big wedding plan.  DD is getting married end of March.  her dad  and I bought the dress and my late brothers wife on her yearly canada visit from Japan bought the veil Jennifer and I drooled over but could not afford at that time, we had saved the money (me)  so when dear Marla bought it, I sneakily deposited the money to J account. 

I am glad to see you post.   What do they think is wrong with your son,   mean bleeding all over the place cannot be good. Have you voiced your opinion of that hospital loud enough to cos a reaction?  I feel bad that you are helpless in this situation.  When is his wedding?  Well off I am to have dim sum with dotter and her intended, then off to a funeral/memorial service for her best friends, grandfather, then home to make meatballs and stff for tomorrows after church soiree! (church stuff plus a thanksgiving.    Monday is our (canada) thanksgiving.

Loe Bonnie

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Gee Rox… what a muddle.  up here we do have a candy called "clod-hoppers'  some sort of caramel, crunch, chocolate blobs, nuts all like clods of dirt I guess.  But we also (or I also) know what clod hopper shoes would look like under a nice beaded dress.   Some brides even opt for CONVERSE sneakers….   I am also sort of from the bylines involved in a big wedding plan.  DD is getting married end of March.  her dad  and I bought the dress and my late brothers wife on her yearly canada visit from Japan bought the veil Jennifer and I drooled over but could not afford at that time, we had saved the money (me)  so when dear Marla bought it, I sneakily deposited the money to J account. 

I am glad to see you post.   What do they think is wrong with your son,   mean bleeding all over the place cannot be good. Have you voiced your opinion of that hospital loud enough to cos a reaction?  I feel bad that you are helpless in this situation.  When is his wedding?  Well off I am to have dim sum with dotter and her intended, then off to a funeral/memorial service for her best friends, grandfather, then home to make meatballs and stff for tomorrows after church soiree! (church stuff plus a thanksgiving.    Monday is our (canada) thanksgiving.

Loe Bonnie

Bonnie Lea
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Loe Bonnie

Viewing 6 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics