The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Sharing some hope – another clear scan

Forums General Melanoma Community Sharing some hope – another clear scan

Participant

I always preface a post like this by saying that I will never take this news for granted and am so humble to be a stage IV survivor and able to share it.   Today I had my six month scan and was fortunate to find out it was clear again.    Eleven years, 5 recurrences, and 5 treatments (INF, vaccine trial, radiation, Ipi, and 6 mos of pulsed IL-2) later, I am now able to celebrate a 3 1/2 year anniversary since my last recurrence.

I always preface a post like this by saying that I will never take this news for granted and am so humble to be a stage IV survivor and able to share it.   Today I had my six month scan and was fortunate to find out it was clear again.    Eleven years, 5 recurrences, and 5 treatments (INF, vaccine trial, radiation, Ipi, and 6 mos of pulsed IL-2) later, I am now able to celebrate a 3 1/2 year anniversary since my last recurrence.

Having been on this board for almost all of those eleven years, I have seen many losses, victories, and met some truly amazing people along the way.  I can only hope that this kind of news gives hope to those that need it on this journey.

And now I will get myself a nice glass of wine!   🙂 🙂

Best to all . .

Mary

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        audgator
        Participant

Thank you for posting this good news. It does give hope to me and I am sure others.

Dan

Stage IV, ipi nonresponder (so far), & now on an anti-pd1 trial

WendyR3
            Participant

Hi Dan,  If you don't mind my asking, which PD1 trial are you on?  How many previous treatments did you have?  My husband can't qualify for the Merck trial, because he's had 3 or more treatments.  And the Curetech trial closed before he could qualify. We're looking at Tampa now, but we live in California, so that would be difficult.  Just wondering which one you're on and where.

Thanks! Wendy

WendyR3
              Participant

Hi Dan,  If you don't mind my asking, which PD1 trial are you on?  How many previous treatments did you have?  My husband can't qualify for the Merck trial, because he's had 3 or more treatments.  And the Curetech trial closed before he could qualify. We're looking at Tampa now, but we live in California, so that would be difficult.  Just wondering which one you're on and where.

Thanks! Wendy

WendyR3
                Participant

Thanks! Wendy

audgator
                  Participant

Hello Wendy.  I go to Tampa. I'm in a new group on a BMS trial. I can't give you many particulars. As I understand it the previous groups, or at least one of them, had to be NED for inclusion. I am not nearly NED. My scans were worse after ipi than before. Also the previous groups received vacine shots as well as the infusions. My group does not. I had my first treatment this past Tuesday and will go every other Tuesday for 12 weeks. Then another 12 if I'm doing OK. So far I've had surgery (lymph nodes), radiation (neck), interferon, and ipi.  The fight goes on! My best to you and your husband.  Dan

audgator
                    Participant

Hello Wendy.  I go to Tampa. I'm in a new group on a BMS trial. I can't give you many particulars. As I understand it the previous groups, or at least one of them, had to be NED for inclusion. I am not nearly NED. My scans were worse after ipi than before. Also the previous groups received vacine shots as well as the infusions. My group does not. I had my first treatment this past Tuesday and will go every other Tuesday for 12 weeks. Then another 12 if I'm doing OK. So far I've had surgery (lymph nodes), radiation (neck), interferon, and ipi.  The fight goes on! My best to you and your husband.  Dan

audgator
                      Participant

audgator
                      Participant

Thank you for posting this good news. It does give hope to me and I am sure others.

Dan

audgator
                        Participant

Dan

aldakota22
                          Participant

Great that there is hope for stage 4  survivors.We need to read some real positive stories.Yours inspires us .My prayers  go out to you.  Al

aldakota22
                            Participant

Great that there is hope for stage 4  survivors.We need to read some real positive stories.Yours inspires us .My prayers  go out to you.  Al

aldakota22
                              Participant

KRob
                                Participant

Your good news is hope for all here.

Congrats on your clear scans; enjoy the lightness of your heart and the ease from your worries.

K

KRob
                                  Participant

Congrats on your clear scans; enjoy the lightness of your heart and the ease from your worries.

K

KRob
                                    Participant

K

King
                                      Participant

And I'll get myself a cold glass of beer.  I am so happy for you. You are an amazing warrior….don't forget those few surgeries that you've had as well.

I just know that your post will give hope to others, especially the newbies.

You are one of the silver linings of my melanoma journey.

Stay Strong

Kathie

King
                                        Participant

And I'll get myself a cold glass of beer.  I am so happy for you. You are an amazing warrior….don't forget those few surgeries that you've had as well.

Stay Strong

Kathie

King
                                          Participant

Stay Strong

Kathie

Eileen L
                                            Participant

Wow, congrats on your clear scans! I hope you celebrate tonight.

Eileen L

Eileen L
                                              Participant

Eileen L

Eileen L
                                                Participant

Eileen L

hope4cure1
                                                  Participant

Congratulations Mary!!!!!!  Sounds like you've paid your dues, and certainly deserve the rewards.  Keep it up!!!!!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                    Participant

Congratulations Mary!!!!!!  Sounds like you've paid your dues, and certainly deserve the rewards.  Keep it up!!!!!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                      Participant

Hope

MeNDave
                                                        Participant

Congrats!!  And thank you so much for posting… I really need to read one of this inspiring updates today.  There's been too many loses lately….  So very, very happy for you 🙂

Maria

MeNDave
                                                          Participant

Congrats!!  And thank you so much for posting… I really need to read one of this inspiring updates today.  There's been too many loses lately….  So very, very happy for you 🙂

Maria

MeNDave
                                                            Participant

Maria

Gene_S
                                                              Participant

Mary that is wonderful news.  I  believe that it will give hope to a lot on this board and say celebrate the good news as we will all be dancing with you. 

I also wish you the best of luck in the future.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV)

Gene_S
                                                                Participant

Mary that is wonderful news.  I  believe that it will give hope to a lot on this board and say celebrate the good news as we will all be dancing with you. 

Gene_S
                                                                  Participant

Rocco
                                                                    Participant

MaryD-

Big congratulations on your clean scan!  This is great news!  Thanks for sharing…

-Rocco (Stage IV in 2005, ipi responder in 2009, now NED)

Rocco
                                                                      Participant

MaryD-

Big congratulations on your clean scan!  This is great news!  Thanks for sharing…

Rocco
                                                                        Participant

MaryD-

Frannie55
                                                                          Participant

That is such wonderful news! I am in the grips of scanxiety right now. I'm stage IV, NED since April 2009 after liver mets taken out with radio frequency ablation. My scan is next week. You give me hope. My prayers for continued clear scans for you.

Frannie55
                                                                            Participant

That is such wonderful news! I am in the grips of scanxiety right now. I'm stage IV, NED since April 2009 after liver mets taken out with radio frequency ablation. My scan is next week. You give me hope. My prayers for continued clear scans for you.

Frannie55
                                                                              Participant

Jim M.
                                                                                Participant

Hi Mary,

You are one of those amazing people! I'll pray and trust that you will live a long life with NED at your side. I did my 6 month scans yesterday and will see Dr. Weber next Friday. I'll celebrate your NED status by seeing Juan Luis Guerra in concert tonight in Miami!

God Bless you,

Jim M.

MaryD
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Jim!

Thanks so much and I'll be sending up prayers for great CT results for you too!    I'm coming back to Tampa sometime in May and hope to see Dr. Weber just to check in.   Never want to fall off his radar  LOL!

Good to see you post and hope you enjoyed the concert . .

God Bless ..

Mary

MaryD
                                                                                      Participant

Hi Jim!

Thanks so much and I'll be sending up prayers for great CT results for you too!    I'm coming back to Tampa sometime in May and hope to see Dr. Weber just to check in.   Never want to fall off his radar  LOL!

God Bless ..

Mary

Kelly7
                                                                                        Participant

Mary, thank you for the update. My brother just had IL2 and Its always nice to hear positive stories! Good luck and continue on with your clear health! 

Kelly7
                                                                                          Participant

Mary, thank you for the update. My brother just had IL2 and Its always nice to hear positive stories! Good luck and continue on with your clear health! 

Kelly7
                                                                                            Participant

MaryD
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Jim!

God Bless ..

Mary

Jim M.
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Mary,

You are one of those amazing people! I'll pray and trust that you will live a long life with NED at your side. I did my 6 month scans yesterday and will see Dr. Weber next Friday. I'll celebrate your NED status by seeing Juan Luis Guerra in concert tonight in Miami!

God Bless you,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Mary,

God Bless you,

Jim M.

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics