The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Severely atypical vs Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Severely atypical vs Melanoma

Participant

Hi!

What is the difference between severely atypical lesion and melanoma?

Does it mean severely atypical cannot metastize and melanoma can? Where is that border ?

Hi!

What is the difference between severely atypical lesion and melanoma?

Does it mean severely atypical cannot metastize and melanoma can? Where is that border ?

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

Do you have a lesion that the pathology report is a differential diagnosis between the two?  If so, I'd get another opinion.

JC
          Participant

Do you have a lesion that the pathology report is a differential diagnosis between the two?  If so, I'd get another opinion.

JC
            Participant

MichaelFL
              Participant

Atypical cells are not normal cells. And atypical cells are graded as mild, moderate, and severe. Severe has the highest chance of becoming actual melanoma.

MichaelFL
                Participant

Atypical cells are not normal cells. And atypical cells are graded as mild, moderate, and severe. Severe has the highest chance of becoming actual melanoma.

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

The difference between severely atypical and melanoma in situ is a matter of degrees.  While each of them may have some of the same factors, melanoma in situ will have more of them.  Neither can really metastasize – melanoma in situ has basically a 100% cure rate.  It's confined to the epidermis with no access to blood or lymph vessels that take the cells elsewhere.  Both are treated the same, however, with 5mm margins.  The differentiation between the two is best left to an experienced dermatopathologist who sees lots of melanoma – as it's a judgement call to make the final diagnosis.

Janner
                      Participant

The difference between severely atypical and melanoma in situ is a matter of degrees.  While each of them may have some of the same factors, melanoma in situ will have more of them.  Neither can really metastasize – melanoma in situ has basically a 100% cure rate.  It's confined to the epidermis with no access to blood or lymph vessels that take the cells elsewhere.  Both are treated the same, however, with 5mm margins.  The differentiation between the two is best left to an experienced dermatopathologist who sees lots of melanoma – as it's a judgement call to make the final diagnosis.

natasha
                          Participant

Thank you all for your replies!!

I have done 2 pathologies in different clinics in different countries.

Both says the same :'' this is severely atypical lesion and not all the features of melanoma are present ,but ,at worst,

the appearances could represent an early superficial spreading melanoma in radial growth phase ,Breslow 0.2 ( very occasional dermal melanocites) '' .

I am wondering , how they both can stand between severely atypical and Breslow 0.2 ( not in-situ ,as Janner said) ?????

I had wide axcition and they treated it as melanoma ,but it is not the fact I had one.

This is very impostant to me and I am thinking about this all the time.

both pathologists are in largest hospitals of countries where  I did pathology .

natasha
                            Participant

Both says the same :'' this is severely atypical lesion and not all the features of melanoma are present ,but ,at worst,

the appearances could represent an early superficial spreading melanoma in radial growth phase ,Breslow 0.2 ( very occasional dermal melanocites) '' .

I am wondering , how they both can stand between severely atypical and Breslow 0.2 ( not in-situ ,as Janner said) ?????

I had wide axcition and they treated it as melanoma ,but it is not the fact I had one.

both pathologists are in largest hospitals of countries where  I did pathology .

natasha
                              Participant

Janner
                              Participant

JC
                                Participant

Can you send it to a U.S. melanoma center of excellence for pathology?  MD Anderson, Sloan Kettering, etc..?  For another opinion?  Will it change your treatment/follow-up?  Or, for peace of mind?

natasha
                                    Participant

Thank you ,but I live in UK ,so I cannot send to USA. One pathology is done in UK ,another abroad in Europe.

natasha
                                      Participant

Thank you ,but I live in UK ,so I cannot send to USA. One pathology is done in UK ,another abroad in Europe.

natasha
                                        Participant

JC
                                        Participant

Can you send it to a U.S. melanoma center of excellence for pathology?  MD Anderson, Sloan Kettering, etc..?  For another opinion?  Will it change your treatment/follow-up?  Or, for peace of mind?

JC
                                          Participant

JC
                                            Participant

Can you send to another place in Europe then for another opinion and hopefully a definitive answer?

JC
                                              Participant

Can you send to another place in Europe then for another opinion and hopefully a definitive answer?

JC
                                                Participant

natasha
                                                    Participant

My Adenbrooks hospital in Cambridge UK said they have done a final desicion and they had 2 meetings regarding my case with different pathologists.

It looks like they are not going to send somewhere else 🙁

natasha
                                                      Participant

My Adenbrooks hospital in Cambridge UK said they have done a final desicion and they had 2 meetings regarding my case with different pathologists.

natasha
                                                        Participant

All I am wondering about is : is it practically possible to have doubts between severely atypical and 1a stage Breslow 0.2 (not in-situ).?

Did someone had the same ?

natasha
                                                          Participant

All I am wondering about is : is it practically possible to have doubts between severely atypical and 1a stage Breslow 0.2 (not in-situ).?

natasha
                                                            Participant

natasha
                                                              Participant

JC
                                                              Participant

Not quite exactly the same, but on another forum I did read about someone that went from in situ to 0.45 after their second opinion. All because of a few cells breaking through the epidermis.

JC
                                                                Participant

Not quite exactly the same, but on another forum I did read about someone that went from in situ to 0.45 after their second opinion. All because of a few cells breaking through the epidermis.

natasha
                                                                    Participant

I really think melanoma is so tricky thing ,just God knows exactly what was happened with all of us.

I think I will live rest of my life with situation between nothing and 1A stage cancer 🙁

It was a big call for me to change my life for good .

natasha
                                                                      Participant

I really think melanoma is so tricky thing ,just God knows exactly what was happened with all of us.

I think I will live rest of my life with situation between nothing and 1A stage cancer 🙁

Webbie73
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          Please don’t take this the wrong way but I have read many of your posts and your last statement stuck me. Living the rest of your life worried about “nothing” and stage 1 a ? How will it change your life? You have talked about having your pathology done multiple times and yet you still doubt the report. You are young, stop obsessing. Live your life. Yes, be proactive with sun protection but don’t let your diagnosis take over your life. If you can not stop obsessing then I would recommend talking with a professional to help you deal with your fears.

You were diagnosed around the same time I recieved my diagnosis. I was diagnosed with stage 1a and believe me I worried!! Within a 3 month period I was diagnosed melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma and severe atypia all in different locations. Yes, I became fearful and a bit obsessive. It finally put it all in prospective. I hope you too, can reach that point.

Webbie73
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Please don’t take this the wrong way but I have read many of your posts and your last statement stuck me. Living the rest of your life worried about “nothing” and stage 1 a ? How will it change your life? You have talked about having your pathology done multiple times and yet you still doubt the report. You are young, stop obsessing. Live your life. Yes, be proactive with sun protection but don’t let your diagnosis take over your life. If you can not stop obsessing then I would recommend talking with a professional to help you deal with your fears.

You were diagnosed around the same time I recieved my diagnosis. I was diagnosed with stage 1a and believe me I worried!! Within a 3 month period I was diagnosed melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma and severe atypia all in different locations. Yes, I became fearful and a bit obsessive. It finally put it all in prospective. I hope you too, can reach that point.

Webbie73
                                                                            Participant

natasha
                                                                              Participant

JC
                                                                              Participant

JC
                                                                                Participant

I'm a different "Anonymous" and I just want to say that I think sometimes on these forums unless you are advanced stage there may not be as much validity given to your worry & anxiety.  Sometimes I think if someone posts who is in-situ or 1a/1b, their concerns are sometimes not addressed as thoroughly as others who post that are more advanced.  But, I want you to know that even though you are either severely atypical or in situ or 1a. .whatever the case may be. . I understand that you're worried and concerned and such a diagnosis naturally would cause anxiety.  You may never get a definitive answer, seems like pathology is very much subjective sometimes.  I think as time goes on it might get a little easier to live with – probably will always be in your mind at some level and you'll pay close attention to your body, how you feel, any changes, etc. . .and you'll be vigilent with Dr appointments, etc. . .   You're not "crazy" to be worried, it's natural. It's not as easy as snapping your fingers and just moving on with your life as if this didn't happen.  At some level, it changes us, we're not exactly the same people we were before.  But you move on the best you can.  And, if it would help to talk to someone, utilize that too.

JC
                                                                                  Participant

I'm a different "Anonymous" and I just want to say that I think sometimes on these forums unless you are advanced stage there may not be as much validity given to your worry & anxiety.  Sometimes I think if someone posts who is in-situ or 1a/1b, their concerns are sometimes not addressed as thoroughly as others who post that are more advanced.  But, I want you to know that even though you are either severely atypical or in situ or 1a. .whatever the case may be. . I understand that you're worried and concerned and such a diagnosis naturally would cause anxiety.  You may never get a definitive answer, seems like pathology is very much subjective sometimes.  I think as time goes on it might get a little easier to live with – probably will always be in your mind at some level and you'll pay close attention to your body, how you feel, any changes, etc. . .and you'll be vigilent with Dr appointments, etc. . .   You're not "crazy" to be worried, it's natural. It's not as easy as snapping your fingers and just moving on with your life as if this didn't happen.  At some level, it changes us, we're not exactly the same people we were before.  But you move on the best you can.  And, if it would help to talk to someone, utilize that too.

JC
                                                                                    Participant

Janner
                                                                                      Participant

I'm not sure what you really want here, Natasha.  You've posted about your pathology several times.  NO ONE can give you an answer.  There IS no answer.  Is your lesion severely atypical or is it stage IA?  It's a judgement call and you've had two opinions.  You will not get a better answer – the laypeople here can't give you better info than you've already got.  There is no absolute when it comes to pathology – only experienced opinions of pathologists.  Whether you treat this as severely atypical or stage IA melanoma is entirely up to you.  Either way, your prognosis is excellent.  A .2mm stage IA lesion has a very high survival rate.  A severely atypical lesion is not melanoma.  Whether your survival stats are 100% or 99% (probably realistic for a .2mm lesion) – those odds are amazing when it comes to cancer. 

Time will help you – the further you get out from your diagnosis, the easier things will get.  But micro analyzing the pathology report will never give you the answer you want – a guarantee.  Uncertainty is a by product of any type of cancer.  And it just takes time to process this and put it in perspective.  The first year is always the toughest.  I will recommend moving away from boards like this one.  Not that we don't want you here, but places like this will increase your anxiety disproportional to your survival odds.  I know this from personal experience.  Boards like this with advanced stage people are not the best place to hang out for early stage individuals.  It's tough to keep your perspective while watching stage III/IV people do treatments.  Don't let my reply put you off – ask any questions you want here.  But just understand there really are no absolute answers when it comes to pathology or prognosis.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                                                        Participant

I'm not sure what you really want here, Natasha.  You've posted about your pathology several times.  NO ONE can give you an answer.  There IS no answer.  Is your lesion severely atypical or is it stage IA?  It's a judgement call and you've had two opinions.  You will not get a better answer – the laypeople here can't give you better info than you've already got.  There is no absolute when it comes to pathology – only experienced opinions of pathologists.  Whether you treat this as severely atypical or stage IA melanoma is entirely up to you.  Either way, your prognosis is excellent.  A .2mm stage IA lesion has a very high survival rate.  A severely atypical lesion is not melanoma.  Whether your survival stats are 100% or 99% (probably realistic for a .2mm lesion) – those odds are amazing when it comes to cancer. 

Time will help you – the further you get out from your diagnosis, the easier things will get.  But micro analyzing the pathology report will never give you the answer you want – a guarantee.  Uncertainty is a by product of any type of cancer.  And it just takes time to process this and put it in perspective.  The first year is always the toughest.  I will recommend moving away from boards like this one.  Not that we don't want you here, but places like this will increase your anxiety disproportional to your survival odds.  I know this from personal experience.  Boards like this with advanced stage people are not the best place to hang out for early stage individuals.  It's tough to keep your perspective while watching stage III/IV people do treatments.  Don't let my reply put you off – ask any questions you want here.  But just understand there really are no absolute answers when it comes to pathology or prognosis.

Best wishes,

Janner

natasha
                                                                                            Participant

I want to say big big thanks to both Anonymus and Janner ! I am sorry I am really annoing here ,but I don't speak to anyone ,exept you here on the forum ,but ,as Janner said ,it is better to go and live life.My Doc put me on antidepressants so I feel better now and I think less about cancer 🙂

Thank you all to be supports and so kind and friendly

natasha
                                                                                              Participant

I want to say big big thanks to both Anonymus and Janner ! I am sorry I am really annoing here ,but I don't speak to anyone ,exept you here on the forum ,but ,as Janner said ,it is better to go and live life.My Doc put me on antidepressants so I feel better now and I think less about cancer 🙂

natasha
                                                                                                Participant

mlbjab
                                                                                                  Participant

Just pretent it's severely atypical and go on with your life as usual!  That's what I would do.  The fact that they even said that they could not tell if it was severely atypical or melanoma to me, means it was more likely severely atypical but tey have to cover thier rears.

mlbjab
                                                                                                    Participant

Just pretent it's severely atypical and go on with your life as usual!  That's what I would do.  The fact that they even said that they could not tell if it was severely atypical or melanoma to me, means it was more likely severely atypical but tey have to cover thier rears.

mlbjab
                                                                                                      Participant

Janner
                                                                                                      Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

MichaelFL
                                                                                                        Participant

Time will get you through this. I am 4 years out from a stage 1 diagnosis and have moved on for the most part . Get on with your life. Don't linger here as you will not like what you read. Especially the advanced stages.

JC
                                                                                                            Participant

I don't know that I agree with not reading because you won't like what you read – being ignorant or unaware doesn't make the reality of it go away, it just makes you blind to it.  I doubt it's ever out of mind anyway, whether you read or don't read posts.

casey188
                                                                                                              Participant

I am not sure why you want to undo the help others have given by continually focusing on the negative.

natasha
                                                                                                                Participant

Thank you ! I deffinately not just focusing on negative. This forum gave me a lot of positive thoughts .

I am focusing on my life , I will have child soon ,I need to be healthy and here for him.

I  think it is very important to share our expierences and thank you for your support.

natasha
                                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you ! I deffinately not just focusing on negative. This forum gave me a lot of positive thoughts .

I am focusing on my life , I will have child soon ,I need to be healthy and here for him.

I  think it is very important to share our expierences and thank you for your support.

natasha
                                                                                                                    Participant

JC
                                                                                                                      Participant

I don't think awareness is undoing help.  I don't think knowing all the possibilities is focusing on the negative.  This is all being realistic and aware.

casey188
                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                          The comment I made about undoing the help of others was not geared toward you Natasha. The other anon poster just seems like they can only focus on the negative and not have hope. They are obsessing a bit too much I think! It’s unhealthy. Being realistic has its place without making it your sole focus. Good luck to you!
                                                                                                                          casey188
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            The comment I made about undoing the help of others was not geared toward you Natasha. The other anon poster just seems like they can only focus on the negative and not have hope. They are obsessing a bit too much I think! It’s unhealthy. Being realistic has its place without making it your sole focus. Good luck to you!
                                                                                                                            casey188
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              JC
                                                                                                                              Participant

I don't think awareness is undoing help.  I don't think knowing all the possibilities is focusing on the negative.  This is all being realistic and aware.

JC
                                                                                                                                Participant

casey188
                                                                                                                                  Participant

I am not sure why you want to undo the help others have given by continually focusing on the negative.

casey188
                                                                                                                                    Participant

JC
                                                                                                                                      Participant

I don't know that I agree with not reading because you won't like what you read – being ignorant or unaware doesn't make the reality of it go away, it just makes you blind to it.  I doubt it's ever out of mind anyway, whether you read or don't read posts.

JC
                                                                                                                                        Participant

MichaelFL
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Time will get you through this. I am 4 years out from a stage 1 diagnosis and have moved on for the most part . Get on with your life. Don't linger here as you will not like what you read. Especially the advanced stages.

MichaelFL
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics