The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Severe sudden knee joint pain

Forums General Melanoma Community Severe sudden knee joint pain

Participant

It's still a bit too early to call the doc's, so I thought I'd check with anyone out here…the last couple of days I've had what I would consider regular aches and pains associated with "taking it easy" and "lettting the radiation kick mel's butt".  Basically, just the occassional discomfort from moving and such.  Well, overnight I feel like both of my knees have been attacked by arthritis!  I can barely stand up and I am hurting just lying on the couch with my feet elevated.  This is new to me so I don't know if I should

It's still a bit too early to call the doc's, so I thought I'd check with anyone out here…the last couple of days I've had what I would consider regular aches and pains associated with "taking it easy" and "lettting the radiation kick mel's butt".  Basically, just the occassional discomfort from moving and such.  Well, overnight I feel like both of my knees have been attacked by arthritis!  I can barely stand up and I am hurting just lying on the couch with my feet elevated.  This is new to me so I don't know if I should try heat or ice….take an OTC (nothing has been prescribed for pain or taken off limits).  Any ideas for relief until I can talk to the doc's office is appreciated!!!

Jacki

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Jacki,

So glad to see your post.How did the radiation go?? Anyside effects? When is your next radiation treatment?

Have you decided what treatment you will take for other mets??? Are your Braf positive?

How is your leg that was effected by your recent sugery doing?? Is it still numb??

Hope your knee problem iturns out to be nothing.

Take care,

Mary

jax2007gxp
            Participant

Hi Mary,

I've had two appointments out of ten for WBR…so far, so good.  I go every day this week, plus M-W next week.  My ears get a funny feeling now and then, but I've been told it it normal.  Making plans to get my haircut this week and purchase a wig or two since it will all be gone in about two weeks anyway.  I've been advised the radiation side effects will really hit after the two-week course is up….fatigue, nauseua, etc.  It would be nice if I could be using this time to feel better than I do, but the fact is that I still have mets doing their things all over my body.

I meet with med onc on 11/14 to finalize the rest of the treatment plan.  Once WBR is complete, I still need to undergo gamma knife to finish off the little brain buggers that were too big just for WBR to handle.  Not sure if this will delay chemo or run concurrent.  I am BRAF negative.

Leg is the same….funny, once you start having to worry about tumors in your brain and the rest of the body how easy it is almosts forget I had surgery less than 2 months ago.

Thanks for checking in on me….I hope you are doing well.

All the best,

Jacki

lhaley
              Participant

Jacki,

Are you on any steroids right now?  I know that since I've been put on then sometimes the joints just aren't doing what I want.  Also, the sounds that I hear when the steroids first kick in.   I have found that it's really ok to call them whenever you need to.  

Yesterday I ended up at EMR because of all of a sudden severe headache.  They did an MRI and found no change and bleeding had stopped!  It's the steroids that they are trying to wean. 

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

Jacki,

Are you on any steroids right now?  I know that since I've been put on then sometimes the joints just aren't doing what I want.  Also, the sounds that I hear when the steroids first kick in.   I have found that it's really ok to call them whenever you need to.  

Yesterday I ended up at EMR because of all of a sudden severe headache.  They did an MRI and found no change and bleeding had stopped!  It's the steroids that they are trying to wean. 

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

Jacki,

Linda

jax2007gxp
                    Participant

Hi Mary,

I've had two appointments out of ten for WBR…so far, so good.  I go every day this week, plus M-W next week.  My ears get a funny feeling now and then, but I've been told it it normal.  Making plans to get my haircut this week and purchase a wig or two since it will all be gone in about two weeks anyway.  I've been advised the radiation side effects will really hit after the two-week course is up….fatigue, nauseua, etc.  It would be nice if I could be using this time to feel better than I do, but the fact is that I still have mets doing their things all over my body.

I meet with med onc on 11/14 to finalize the rest of the treatment plan.  Once WBR is complete, I still need to undergo gamma knife to finish off the little brain buggers that were too big just for WBR to handle.  Not sure if this will delay chemo or run concurrent.  I am BRAF negative.

Leg is the same….funny, once you start having to worry about tumors in your brain and the rest of the body how easy it is almosts forget I had surgery less than 2 months ago.

All the best,

Jacki

jax2007gxp
                      Participant

Hi Mary,

All the best,

Jacki

killmel
                      Participant

Jacki,

So glad to see your post.How did the radiation go?? Anyside effects? When is your next radiation treatment?

Have you decided what treatment you will take for other mets??? Are your Braf positive?

How is your leg that was effected by your recent sugery doing?? Is it still numb??

Take care,

Mary

killmel
                        Participant

Jacki,

Take care,

Mary

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics