The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Severe backpain after the first Keytruda treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Severe backpain after the first Keytruda treatment

Participant

Hello. My mother just started the Keytruda treatement, and she has severe backpain (hips area), she's very weak and has no appetite. She had these symptoms before Keytruda, although they didn't bother her that much. Her relults showed liver mets, but I'm scared that it can be bone metastasis.

She also has recurrent pain, that also quickly passes in the areas of the scars from her lymph node surgery, neck and liver.

My mother is taking 400mg ibuprofen every 4 hours, it works just fine and she doesn't feel any pain, although sometimes she has to take it every 3 hours, its effect seems to not last long.

I'd be very grateful if someone who experienced similar situation would share it and I would know what to expect. Thank you.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        cjm22
        Participant

I'd let the oncologist know about your worries. Maybe your mom is due for another scan. My husband started experiencing severe lower back and hip pain, and it did turn out to be bone metastases (and a soft tissue mass pressing on his lower spine, actually). I think there are different scans they can do to confirm bone mets.

For pain management, my husband was originally on hydromorphone tablets and fentanyl patches. Those stopped working, so now he takes a LOT of methadone every day as well as some hydromorphone for breakthrough. He also found relief from a steroid epidural about 6 weeks ago, although that might be losing its effect now (his pain is starting to come back). Ibuprofen just did not cut it for him at all.

Anastasia
            Participant
              Thank you for your comment. I hope your husband will be ok.
              Unfortunately we don’t have access to the adequate medical assistance. We live in a small ukranian town, and it’s problematic with the hospital, so I’m really grateful for the answers)
            aldrichdesigner
            Participant
              Obviously bring this up to your Onc in case they want to check for mets, as they are certainly possible and they aren’t fun. I have them all through my spine and in my hip and shoulder. It’s all very painful, I’m on a lot of drugs.

Anyway that’s not what you asked. 10mg of prednisone signoficantly reduced my bone pain caused by pembro on top of the opioids that I already take. She should be have at least some kind of drug stronger than a few motrin available to her whenever she needs it. So talk to the onc right away and get some new meds and a possible ct scan.

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics