The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Seroma following SLNB surgery: Similar Experience?

Forums General Melanoma Community Seroma following SLNB surgery: Similar Experience?

Participant

I am 3-1/2 weeks out of melanoma surgery for a stage 1 tumor on my ankle. My tumor excision wound and skin flap healed beautifully, and thankfully, the results of my lymph node biopsy were negative. As a result of SLNB incisions, I now have two seromas (sacs of lymphatic fluid), one at the site of each lymph node incision (upper thigh and groin). I understand this is a fairly common side-effect of lymph node removal.  My surgeon suggested letting them heal on their own and using compression garments to alleviate the discomfort, which I have been doing fairly successfully.

I am 3-1/2 weeks out of melanoma surgery for a stage 1 tumor on my ankle. My tumor excision wound and skin flap healed beautifully, and thankfully, the results of my lymph node biopsy were negative. As a result of SLNB incisions, I now have two seromas (sacs of lymphatic fluid), one at the site of each lymph node incision (upper thigh and groin). I understand this is a fairly common side-effect of lymph node removal.  My surgeon suggested letting them heal on their own and using compression garments to alleviate the discomfort, which I have been doing fairly successfully. Now that I have returned to work, the condition seems to be escalating rather than resolving.The seromas seem to be getting larger, and my entire right leg is swollen with fluid by the end of the day. Elevation usually relieves this somewhat.

My surgeon is a purist who will not treat the seromas by aspiration due to the risk of infection.(A position I respect.)  If they don't resolve on their own, he is recommending another surgical procedure to drain them, followed by wound vac therapy to heal those wounds infection-free.

I was wondering if any others have had experience self-healing a post-surgical seroma. How long did it take to resolve? Remedies for the discomfort?

Also, has anyone had a serome treated surgically and/or wound vac therapy? What was that like?

I know that in the big picture my prognosis is good and I am grateful for that. Would love to hear your experiences/advice.

Health and healing to ALL 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Vermont_Donna
        Participant

Hi,

I did have a seroma after my SNB and it was drained by needle aspiration AND I developed a cellulitis infection, my first of many over the years from various surgical procedures, etc. I ended up in the hospital and it must have eventually healed on its own, I dont remember the details now, its been almost 5 years. I had a 4 inch incision in my groin, no drain. After my LND I did end up with lymphadema. Sorry i cant be of more help for you, but was sharing my experience. I have had a wound vac for one week for some other surgical wounds and it was great how it worked, but I grew tired rerally quick of carrying that 2.5 pound suction machine around my waist, or shoulder. But we do what we must do, to get the best treatment, right??

Good luck and great news on the results of your SNB.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, stable after 4 infusions of Ipi

Lunawest
            Participant

Thank you! Sending wellness and healing thoughts your way yes

Lunawest
              Participant

Thank you! Sending wellness and healing thoughts your way yes

Lunawest
                Participant
                  So, Donna, I ended up in the same situation as you did. Seroma did not resolve on it’s own, and evolved into a cellulitis infection. Had to gave it surgically drained, and am now doing the wound VAC therapy. The good news is, I have far less discomfort than I did waiting out the seroma. Thanks for the input on my post. Hope all is well with you!
                  Lunawest
                  Participant
                    So, Donna, I ended up in the same situation as you did. Seroma did not resolve on it’s own, and evolved into a cellulitis infection. Had to gave it surgically drained, and am now doing the wound VAC therapy. The good news is, I have far less discomfort than I did waiting out the seroma. Thanks for the input on my post. Hope all is well with you!
                  Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

Hi,

I did have a seroma after my SNB and it was drained by needle aspiration AND I developed a cellulitis infection, my first of many over the years from various surgical procedures, etc. I ended up in the hospital and it must have eventually healed on its own, I dont remember the details now, its been almost 5 years. I had a 4 inch incision in my groin, no drain. After my LND I did end up with lymphadema. Sorry i cant be of more help for you, but was sharing my experience. I have had a wound vac for one week for some other surgical wounds and it was great how it worked, but I grew tired rerally quick of carrying that 2.5 pound suction machine around my waist, or shoulder. But we do what we must do, to get the best treatment, right??

Good luck and great news on the results of your SNB.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, stable after 4 infusions of Ipi

Carver
                    Participant

I had a very large seroma after my groin LND. In my case I had surgical drains and the seroma formed after the drain came out. I ended up needing another drain and the surgeon injected something through the drain at the end which helped me dry up enough to avoid another surgery which was what he said I would need if that didn't work. I still had a seroma but over time it did dry up. Best of luck, Carver

Carver
                      Participant

I had a very large seroma after my groin LND. In my case I had surgical drains and the seroma formed after the drain came out. I ended up needing another drain and the surgeon injected something through the drain at the end which helped me dry up enough to avoid another surgery which was what he said I would need if that didn't work. I still had a seroma but over time it did dry up. Best of luck, Carver

washoegal
                        Participant

I had a large one under my arm and my surgeon felt the same as yours.  He recommended mild heat and elevation.  Well it didn't work so well and it burst.  Ended up with nasty skin burn, open wound….but managed not to get an infection.  Hope you do a lot better than I did.

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                          Participant

I had a large one under my arm and my surgeon felt the same as yours.  He recommended mild heat and elevation.  Well it didn't work so well and it burst.  Ended up with nasty skin burn, open wound….but managed not to get an infection.  Hope you do a lot better than I did.

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

gergeex
                            Participant

I had a lymph node removed August, 2011.  Melanom is Stage 2A.  The node was benign, but a seroma developed in my groin where the incision was.  I knew there was risk of infection if aspirated, but the pain was so bad, I didn't care.  All together, my doctor drained the seroma five times; 60 cc's of fluid (the seroma was the size of a large lemon) came out the first two times, 30 the third and fourth and 15 the fifth.  The last time I went in there was so little liguid that my doctor thought that draining it wouldn't be worth the risk of infection.

About half way through all this my doctor suggested that I wear a tight fitting garment (like panty hose) over the groin area to hold the seroma in.  I live in Central Florida and I'm not going around in panty hose in this heat.  I was in WalMart trying to see what else I could come up with and I noticed these light weight girdles with legs that go down about 5 inches above the knee cap.  I bought one and cut the leg off and sewed up the seams so it wouldn't unravel.  I wore the girdle leg to help hold the seroma in.  I pinned the top of the leg to my underwear in order to hold it up.  I was a little concerned about poking myself with the safety pins, but they never came unpinned.  I really think this helped to absorb the seroma liquid back into my system.

It took 4 months for the seroma to go away.  I'm over 60 and I read somewhere that it takes people over 60 longer to get rid of them.  I'm very happy to get rid of the stupid thing, and I'm really very happy I have such a patient and skilled doctor.  He never acted like he was tired of trying to do something about the seroma and he was always willing to drain it for me.  He gave me atibiotics for a few days after each aspiration to help avoid infection.

After the seroma went away, I was still afraid that it would come back so I wore the girdle leg a little longer, I'd say about 1 week extra.  My leg started to ache where the girdle was, so I took it off finally.  The aching stopped right away and the seroma never came back.

Best to you, I'll keep you in my prayers

Lunawest
                                Participant

Thanks for sharing you seroma experience. After four excruciating weeks of trying to manage the condition after my initial surgery, I developed a cellulitis infection that forced my surgeon to drain the seroma surgically. Although I was readmitted to the hospital overnight, and needed to be on a wound-vac to continue to drain fluid for about two weeks, it was not a terrible experience, and far less painful that the seroma itself. I even ended up going back to work before the wound appliance came off. I still experience some mild swelling in the entire leg effected by my tumor excision, but all the other symptoms have thankfully gone away.

Lunawest
                                  Participant

Thanks for sharing you seroma experience. After four excruciating weeks of trying to manage the condition after my initial surgery, I developed a cellulitis infection that forced my surgeon to drain the seroma surgically. Although I was readmitted to the hospital overnight, and needed to be on a wound-vac to continue to drain fluid for about two weeks, it was not a terrible experience, and far less painful that the seroma itself. I even ended up going back to work before the wound appliance came off. I still experience some mild swelling in the entire leg effected by my tumor excision, but all the other symptoms have thankfully gone away.

Lunawest
                                    Participant

gergeex
                                    Participant

I had a lymph node removed August, 2011.  Melanom is Stage 2A.  The node was benign, but a seroma developed in my groin where the incision was.  I knew there was risk of infection if aspirated, but the pain was so bad, I didn't care.  All together, my doctor drained the seroma five times; 60 cc's of fluid (the seroma was the size of a large lemon) came out the first two times, 30 the third and fourth and 15 the fifth.  The last time I went in there was so little liguid that my doctor thought that draining it wouldn't be worth the risk of infection.

About half way through all this my doctor suggested that I wear a tight fitting garment (like panty hose) over the groin area to hold the seroma in.  I live in Central Florida and I'm not going around in panty hose in this heat.  I was in WalMart trying to see what else I could come up with and I noticed these light weight girdles with legs that go down about 5 inches above the knee cap.  I bought one and cut the leg off and sewed up the seams so it wouldn't unravel.  I wore the girdle leg to help hold the seroma in.  I pinned the top of the leg to my underwear in order to hold it up.  I was a little concerned about poking myself with the safety pins, but they never came unpinned.  I really think this helped to absorb the seroma liquid back into my system.

It took 4 months for the seroma to go away.  I'm over 60 and I read somewhere that it takes people over 60 longer to get rid of them.  I'm very happy to get rid of the stupid thing, and I'm really very happy I have such a patient and skilled doctor.  He never acted like he was tired of trying to do something about the seroma and he was always willing to drain it for me.  He gave me atibiotics for a few days after each aspiration to help avoid infection.

After the seroma went away, I was still afraid that it would come back so I wore the girdle leg a little longer, I'd say about 1 week extra.  My leg started to ache where the girdle was, so I took it off finally.  The aching stopped right away and the seroma never came back.

gergeex
                                      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics