The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Selective Neck Dissection

Forums General Melanoma Community Selective Neck Dissection

Participant

Hello fellow Melanoma fighters and survivors.  On July 5th 2018 I finally found a doctor who would biopsy a lump in my neck that I had for over two years.  A week later on July 11th I learned it was Metastatic Melanoma.   On July 30th I had a sentinel lymph node biopsy, had the original melanoma site found on my neck removed and 55 lymph nodes and surrounding tissue from the right side of my neck as well as one from the left side.  Pathology came back that my left side was clear but my  right side had two affected nodes.  I have been given the diagnosis of Stage IIIC.  After about 2 weeks of recovery from my procedure my sternoclastoid muscle spasmd and never released, I also have major dissfuction in my right shoulder… I was told prior to surgery that these side effects typically happened to patients with selective radical neck dissection, not one where just lymph nodes and tissue were involved.  

Anyways, I’ve been going to physical therapy and have now tried two different muscle relaxers (flexeril and baclofin) neither had any effect.  I am in extreme discomfort and am trying to return to work as a gardener on the 10th.  Has anyone with the same procedure had the same condition?  Was there anything you did that helped??  I saw some research on Botulinum Toxin injections helping, don’t know if it’s FDA approved for post surgery neck spasms.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        kathycmc
        Participant

Botox is approved for migraine headaches and to decrease abnormal muscle tone in the calf muscles of kids with cerebral palsy. The issue is whether your doctor will prescribe it and your insurance company will pay for it.  Your condition is called torticollis and botox would be a logical thing to try.  They can inject a little and then increase the amount after a couple of weeks if needed.  Some physical therapists (in some states) are trained in "dry needling" where nothing is injected and that is a covered procedure.  

MovingOn
          Participant

Hello, sorry you are going through this. It sounds similar to my neck dissection in early 2017. My SCM was partially cut because it had been punctured to reach the lump during the surgical biopsy. I am not aware of any muscle relaxers for your situation but if I were in your shoes I’d be trying them, like you are. For me what has helped the SCM tremendously has been laying on the affected side and stacking pillows under my head. It stretches the SCM on that side. My SCM really liked being stretched and I would find myself regularly tilting my neck to feel the slight pull on the SCM. Later on I got massages for the neck and they helped but the best therapy I could do every day was with the stacked pillows (I normally sleep on the other side just because I have my whole life but each night before falling asleep I would do the pillow stacking stretch for 10+ minutes on the affected side.

Regarding the shoulder, I also have problems (my accessory nerve was cut). They will have you stand near a wall and use your fingers to crawl up the wall in order to lift your arm at the shoulder. This can work even better with a warm wash cloth or wet heating pad on the affected shoulder. 

My suggestion would be to discuss your return to work with your oncologist and physical therapist. Sometimes surgeons can be overly optimistic with their recovery projections (and in my case the surgeons only wanted follow ups every 3 months (or less frequent if I hadn’t been persistent).

With 55 lymph nodes removed (I only had 44 removed) you may also want to get a mini trampoline 3’ diameter (“rebounder” for $30 on Amazon). Lightly bouncing on this 5 min per day can get your lymph fluid moving and reduce any fluid buildup (swelling) in your cheeks and neck.

ashleylabke
              Participant

Thank you… my surgeon has just kept telling me it’s normal and that she didn’t cut anything, and that I’m also at a very low risk of lymphadema.  Both of which I feel are untrue based on research and conversations with other doctors and patients.  I’m moving my care to UCSF and am hopeful I will receive better and more honest care there.

lkb
                Participant

Ashley, I'm getting my care at UCSF and am happy with it. Just fyi.

Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics