The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Second opinions. Are they necessary for aytipicals?

Forums General Melanoma Community Second opinions. Are they necessary for aytipicals?

Participant

I have been reading about so many cases of misdiagnosis.  Are second opinions required for atypical too? 

I have been reading about so many cases of misdiagnosis.  Are second opinions required for atypical too? 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Was the lesion read by a dermatopathologist?  Someone who looks at melanoma a lot?  Were there clear margins?  HOW atypical was it?  There are typically degrees of atypia and that could influence my decision.

If the lesion was mildly or moderately atypical and it had clear margins, I probably wouldn't do a re-read.  I would just watch the scar area for any pigment regrowth.  If the lesion was severely atypical and excised with the standard 5mm margins, I probably wouldn't do a re-read and here's why:  an atypical lesion is NOT cancer.  Melanoma in situ is excised with 5mm exactly the same as severely atypical lesions.   If another dermatopathologist reads it, it could be labeled melanoma in situ.  The two are "degrees" apart and one pathologist says cancer while the other thinks "not quite".  However, for your medical history, it is better never to have a melanoma diagnosis.  It affects your ability to get health and life insurance.  Some companies will never cover you with life insurance if you've had a melanoma diagnosis regardless of how deep and how long ago.  So there's a fine line to think about because that re-read may make future insurability difficult. 

Yes, a misdiagnosis can happen – reading pathology is an art as much as a science.  But in general, most are read as correctly as you can expect with an inexact science.  So, what's your level of worry, and are you willing to risk a melanoma diagnosis?  Chances are, the re-read would be similar to your first reading, but there is always a chance that the pathologist might err on the side of caution and overdiagnose. 

Do what makes YOU comfortable!

Janner

mlbjab
            Participant

It said mild atypical and extends to margin however it said that it was a neoplasm of uknown potential based on coding??  The report is from a LabCorp and read by a general pathologist.

Janner
              Participant

Mildly atypical lesions are basically considered benign.  So unless the guy is really off, I probably wouldn't feel a need for a second opinion.  However, I think if you really want a second opinion, you can go there.  Make sure the guy is a dermatopathologist.  They specialize in reading skin pathology.

Janner

Janner
                Participant

Mildly atypical lesions are basically considered benign.  So unless the guy is really off, I probably wouldn't feel a need for a second opinion.  However, I think if you really want a second opinion, you can go there.  Make sure the guy is a dermatopathologist.  They specialize in reading skin pathology.

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Janner

mlbjab
                    Participant

It said mild atypical and extends to margin however it said that it was a neoplasm of uknown potential based on coding??  The report is from a LabCorp and read by a general pathologist.

mlbjab
                      Participant

natasha
                        Participant

It looks like pathologists usually giving worst scenario dianosys.

In my case it was even said ;; this is your diagnosys at worst''

But yes ,I think 2 opinions are better then 1  – just for your peace of mind.

I had 2 in different countries ,both said the same.

green8300
                          Participant

i had .65 melanoma and 1 mitosis per mm,,,,,on shave biopsy,,,,on wide excision i had malignant melanoma still persistant,,,,read by another pathologist,,,,,,went for sentinel lymph biopsy and the surgeoun had his own pathology people read it before surgury just to make sure they came up with .73mm 2 mitosis per mm, and no malignant melanoma after shave biopsy so things differ a bit

green8300
                            Participant

i had .65 melanoma and 1 mitosis per mm,,,,,on shave biopsy,,,,on wide excision i had malignant melanoma still persistant,,,,read by another pathologist,,,,,,went for sentinel lymph biopsy and the surgeoun had his own pathology people read it before surgury just to make sure they came up with .73mm 2 mitosis per mm, and no malignant melanoma after shave biopsy so things differ a bit

green8300
                              Participant

natasha
                                Participant

natasha
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

Was the lesion read by a dermatopathologist?  Someone who looks at melanoma a lot?  Were there clear margins?  HOW atypical was it?  There are typically degrees of atypia and that could influence my decision.

If the lesion was mildly or moderately atypical and it had clear margins, I probably wouldn't do a re-read.  I would just watch the scar area for any pigment regrowth.  If the lesion was severely atypical and excised with the standard 5mm margins, I probably wouldn't do a re-read and here's why:  an atypical lesion is NOT cancer.  Melanoma in situ is excised with 5mm exactly the same as severely atypical lesions.   If another dermatopathologist reads it, it could be labeled melanoma in situ.  The two are "degrees" apart and one pathologist says cancer while the other thinks "not quite".  However, for your medical history, it is better never to have a melanoma diagnosis.  It affects your ability to get health and life insurance.  Some companies will never cover you with life insurance if you've had a melanoma diagnosis regardless of how deep and how long ago.  So there's a fine line to think about because that re-read may make future insurability difficult. 

Yes, a misdiagnosis can happen – reading pathology is an art as much as a science.  But in general, most are read as correctly as you can expect with an inexact science.  So, what's your level of worry, and are you willing to risk a melanoma diagnosis?  Chances are, the re-read would be similar to your first reading, but there is always a chance that the pathologist might err on the side of caution and overdiagnose. 

Janner

Janner
                                    Participant

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics