The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scared to Death – Stage IV???

Forums General Melanoma Community Scared to Death – Stage IV???

Participant

I am the 55 year proud father of two 38 day old twins (yes 38 DAYS old) who is now so scared they will never know me. A few weeks ago, I got a spot on my lung detected in a routine Xray but a clean blood work run. A knot on my groin prompted a PET scan that showed "uptake" at two spots : my groin and one on my lung (there were two places in my lung but only one had uptake). Did an aspiration on my groin node last Thursday and got an oral report that it was melanoma.

I am the 55 year proud father of two 38 day old twins (yes 38 DAYS old) who is now so scared they will never know me. A few weeks ago, I got a spot on my lung detected in a routine Xray but a clean blood work run. A knot on my groin prompted a PET scan that showed "uptake" at two spots : my groin and one on my lung (there were two places in my lung but only one had uptake). Did an aspiration on my groin node last Thursday and got an oral report that it was melanoma. Having to wait for my doctors to say exactly what it is and stage, but everything I read says it will not only come back melanoma but Stage IV (because of node in two places  – no matter size or number of them) and my future is bleak. I've had no signs of symptoms other than a persistent cough for the last 3 months if I laugh hard. No night sweats, fatgue (still swim a half mile almost every other day) and no rapd weight loss (although, since this news last week, I've lost 5 pounds but probably due to stress – quite the appetite supressant … as well as this eye sty I just got today).

I'm the typical fair skinned, bue eyed countess sunburned Florida kid all grown up. I survived Hodgkins 11 years ago (almsot exactly) with chemo and radition and never expected THIS news. I've had several melanomas on the skin but they always said they got them all and they weren't deep.

Anyone else have something like it and is my death as imminent as the studies say?

For the first time in my life I feel I've never had more to live for and never been so unsure of the future.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant
          you have posted on the off topic bulletin board. please repost again on the melanoma bulletin board. look for a link on the left or from the menus on top. this board has very little activity.
          Janner
          Participant
            you have posted on the off topic bulletin board. please repost again on the melanoma bulletin board. look for a link on the left or from the menus on top. this board has very little activity.
            Janner
            Participant
              Tina D
              Participant

First of all, congratulations on the new little additions to your family!

I am sure this is incredibly distressing for you and your wife. I am also a previous Floridian who spent many many many of my growing up years on the East coast beach. As you wait for further news from the Dr, I just want to offer some tangible encouragement. I had an amelanotic ( non-pigmented & aggressive) melanoma mole removed in 2002. In 2005 I had my first distant metasasis ( way down in the muscle of my left calf). Our youngest was 2 when I was 1st diagnosed and is now 13 ๐Ÿ™‚  . Statistics can be so frightening. SO… here I am 10 years after mole removed, and 7 yrs after first metastasis. I have had recurrances, but I am alive and well with a recent clean PET scan. My suggestion to you is to research only to the extent you need to in order to ask intelligent & informed questions of your Drs…. but leave it at that. Then, once you have more info from your Dr, you can begin to make decisions. You will find many very helpful and compassionae folks on this board. They can offer advice abt treatment centers near you, and about the various treatmen decisions. I know I have seen some in FL who go to Moffat. I am sorry you are having to endure this sress and I will be praying for you and your family in the days to come.

Tina D

Tina D
                Participant

I am sure this is incredibly distressing for you and your wife. I am also a previous Floridian who spent many many many of my growing up years on the East coast beach. As you wait for further news from the Dr, I just want to offer some tangible encouragement. I had an amelanotic ( non-pigmented & aggressive) melanoma mole removed in 2002. In 2005 I had my first distant metasasis ( way down in the muscle of my left calf). Our youngest was 2 when I was 1st diagnosed and is now 13 ๐Ÿ™‚  . Statistics can be so frightening. SO… here I am 10 years after mole removed, and 7 yrs after first metastasis. I have had recurrances, but I am alive and well with a recent clean PET scan. My suggestion to you is to research only to the extent you need to in order to ask intelligent & informed questions of your Drs…. but leave it at that. Then, once you have more info from your Dr, you can begin to make decisions. You will find many very helpful and compassionae folks on this board. They can offer advice abt treatment centers near you, and about the various treatmen decisions. I know I have seen some in FL who go to Moffat. I am sorry you are having to endure this sress and I will be praying for you and your family in the days to come.

Tina D

Tina D
                  Participant

Tina D

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics