The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scared, Need Some Strong Warrior Vibes!

Forums General Melanoma Community Scared, Need Some Strong Warrior Vibes!

Participant

Hello Melanoma Warriors,

I recently went from Stage 3 (became Stage 3 about 18 months ago, 7 years after primary) to Stage 4 when a met was found in a hilar (chest) lymph node. I am currently recovering from a recent thoracotomy done at MDAnderson. (Wow, that was rough!) The surgeon feels like she got all of the cancer. Pathology report showed no melanoma in surrounding lymph nodes that were removed.

I am on about dose 20 of Opdivo of the Yervoy/Opdivo combo treatment. 

Something about STAGE 4 has kicked my tail emotionally. MY MDA oncologist says to just remain on Opdivo, even though I progressed on it because "it is the only option".. I am NRAS +, BRAF -. They did harvest the tumor for TIL if needed in the future. Radiation oncologists do not recommend treatment because 1) there is not measurable disease currently 2) it hasn't been proven to help in this situation anyway

Any stories of progressing on Opdivo then continuing Opdivo with good results? Anybody ever have melanome stay in the lymph system (mine is for now)? Why does  mine show up 1 node at a time and stay away from organs this far? Why would Dr. say staying on Opdivo is my only option? 

I know I should feel lucky that the surgery was successful but I just KNOW the next scans will show more mets.

I just can't get out of this funk. I have gotten through previous surgeries, biopsies, etc because I still had HOPE. Now that Im stage 4 that is slipping away. Last night I dreamed I was entering a Hospice unit. I am a praying person, so absolutely appreciate prayers, AND any good warrior advice also welcome!! I appreciate all of you so  much.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant

Good morning;

I too am stage IV, when I got the diagnosis I felt pretty yucky. I have been extremely blessed since then, but my situation is different from yours in that I started stage IV with a large sub-cut tumor with an unknown primary…NED right now thanks be to God. I can't provide advice, but praying for you. I believe in healing and I am sure you will get great advice from our fellow melanomies here!

Blessings,

Ted

marta010
          Participant

HI Michelle – keep the faith!  My husband was diagnosed 6 years ago – Stage IV right off the bat.  It's been a difficult battle but he's hanging in there and so can you.  I pray every day for the strength to handle whatever today might bring and give thanks for every single day we get through.  You can do this!  Take care.

Ann

MichelleRHG
              Participant
                Thanks for the encouragement!
              cancersnewnormal
              Participant

Hang in there Michelle. I was diagnosed stage IV in April 2013. It was already in my brain and lungs by then. After many rounds of brain radiation, Yervoy, a very brief run of MEK (I'm a weird BRAF neg), and thoracic surgery… Keytruda finally became an option for those with "uncontrolled brain mets" when it gained FDA approval in late 2014. I was on it immediately, and with good response. Everything was going along all fabulous and fine, until late January 2016, when a new brain lesion decided to rear its ugly little face. I thought I was done for. I assumed the worst, that Keytruda had stopped working for me, and it was only a matter of time before things went all to hell in a handbasket. We gamma radiated the late blooming lone wolf, and I continued with Keytruda infusions. I developed some not so nice side effects from the Keytruda about 6 months later, and although still showing that bit of gamma treated lesion in my brain, we assumed scar tissue, and I "took a break" from the Keytruda. That was July 2016. I had a brain MRI this week and am due a full body CT in 4 weeks….. but thus far… still clear. Soooooo… why did this little bit of progression show up in early 2016 in the midst of Keytruda treatment? We really don't know. It happens sometimes. Thankfully, it doesn't always signal a lack of the meds working, and impending progression. It does suck to hear something new has popped up, and that there are "no other current options at this point". That's a soul crushing weight to push through. Just know that this "step up" to stage IV with your node doesn't necessarily mean you're "in for it" now. Take care of yourself as best you can, and try to eliminate stress as much as humanly possible……. yeah… I know that's going to be a HUGE task… but try. 🙂  Baby steps forward, and don't let the real panic take hold, until there is something to exibit real panic about. You got this!

Mark_DC
                  Participant

Hi Niki, I think your answer is helpful. I am stage III and on keytruda with tvec to fight one tumor, and am coping and feeling OK trying to stay optimistic and grateful for life, but I share Michelle’s fears – if I were to progress to stage IV while on keytruda, then doesnt this mean trouble? Its good to know from your experience that maybe we can be OK. also for Michelle, my oncologist tells me that if I were to progress then they do have clinical trials. i guess the odds are worse, but they seem to think that there are options. And we also know that Bill (mr saxde) is trying TIL.

Michelle, I am a praying kind of person too so will pray for you, and I hope that responses from other stage IV patients will reassure you. And maybe this is just a one off and you will be OK just continuing keytruda (although I would ask if there are clinical trial possibiliities too). Good luck and like others here I am praying for you, and our group.

best wishes Mark

MichelleRHG
                    Participant
                      Thank you.Just what I needed to hear!
                      MichelleRHG
                      Participant
                        Niki, I was hoping someone would share an experience like that. Thank you.
                      Dwarla
                      Participant

I appreciate the responses as they helped me too. I am in a funk after battling stage IV for a year and a half. They just found melanoma in 2 enlarged lymph nodes and I start on Opdivo/Yervoy combo on Monday. I have been taking  Keytruda since being diagnosed in January of 2017. 

I agree with the others that responded. Just because we are stage IV doesn't mean we are ready for hospice. I think this forum is wonderful because we can lift one another up and let others know that they are not alone. You are not alone! This is a tough battle but have faith in our God that He is right next you in your fight. We are there with you as well. You will be in my prayers and I have faith that our God will lift us out of our funk. We will return to our battle renewed and reinvigorated and live happy and fulfilling lives until we are OLD!!!! 

MichelleRHG
                          Participant
                            Growing old sounds good!
                          ed williams
                          Participant

Hi MichelleRGH, there have been many that have had similar tumors pop up and have used surgery to remove the melanoma with good outcomes. Sometimes the pd-1 drugs keep things under control but need a little help like radiation or surgery or Tvec injections and in the future combinations. There are several exciting new options coming with some being targeted specific to those that progress on pd-1 drugs, two examples are Lag-3 and NKTR–214. Both of these drugs are in trials and at ASCO this year there will be updates. There are more trials with other checkpoints being investigated like OX-40 and even after the pembro- IDO recent failure there is another IDO drug in trial with Nivo from a different drug company. Bottom line there is a lot going and MD Anderson is at the cutting edge of the research. Best Wishes!!! Ed

Bubbles
                              Participant

Ed is right.  Despite the fact that melanoma suck great big green hairy wizard balls…there are many things still available to you. It won't be easy…no matter the path you choose…but you can do this!!  Celeste

MichelleRHG
                                Participant
                                  Thank you, Celeste. It certainly is not easy. I appreciate all you do for us.
                                  MichelleRHG
                                  Participant
                                    Thanks, Ed. I will ask my MDA oncologist about these when I see her next!
                              Viewing 4 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics