The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

scar tissue question

Forums General Melanoma Community scar tissue question

Participant

I have read many post concerning scar tissue, but was wondering if anyone has any where the drain was? My husband had a drain for approximately 2 weeks after having nodes in his groin removed last November. What I think might be scar tissue starts just below the spot where the drain entered his leg and extends downward toward his inner thigh. He had been staged at 3A and needless to say I am extremely terrified of a recurrence. Thankyou 

I have read many post concerning scar tissue, but was wondering if anyone has any where the drain was? My husband had a drain for approximately 2 weeks after having nodes in his groin removed last November. What I think might be scar tissue starts just below the spot where the drain entered his leg and extends downward toward his inner thigh. He had been staged at 3A and needless to say I am extremely terrified of a recurrence. Thankyou 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

If you are speaking of just this last November, you must remember that healing is still going on so it is not wise to poke and prode there.  If you are speaking of a year ago, then yes it could be scar tissue.  It is unlikely that it is a reoccurance in that location if he had a complete lymph node dissection.   But with anything worrisome point it out on his next visit to the Oncologist, if there is fast occuring change make an appointment sooner rather than later.

Just a note: it is easier to answer questions and we can be more helpful if profiles are completed.  For instance when were surgeries done?  Did he have a complete or just a SLND?

Mary

Stage3

samcanada
            Participant

Hi Mary and thank you for your response. I apologize for not being specific enough, my husband had his surgery last year, Nov 2011 and it was the superficial nodes that were taken. I have been on the lookout for a recurrence since then but admit I have been focusing on the surgery site itself and the WLE and I am pretty sure I have been all but ignoring the drain area. Since the drain (according to my husband) was quite long when it came out I assumed there might be some scar tissue but since I have not read any posts about it I was concerned. Any time you feel something different it is so scary.

I know filling out the profile is helpful but in a strange way it would make all this more real for me. I know that doesn't make much sense but this has been so very hard for me and I think I am taking baby steps (even asking this question was hard for me).

Thankyou for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it.

Linny
              Participant

Yes, it is scary. But it doesn't have to be a recurrance. It may be scar tissue or it may even be a blood vessel. I had a similar scare after a CAT scan where my oncologist told me they spotted something and he couldn't say with 100% certainty that it was scar tissue. What happened next was that I was scheduled for an ultrasound and needle biopsy. The doctor never had to do the biopsy because the anomaly that was spotted was a bulging blood vessel. I was told it was all part of the healing process from the LND I'd had. Whew!

The best thing you can do for the time being is contact the oncologist to get this checked out.

Linny
                Participant

Yes, it is scary. But it doesn't have to be a recurrance. It may be scar tissue or it may even be a blood vessel. I had a similar scare after a CAT scan where my oncologist told me they spotted something and he couldn't say with 100% certainty that it was scar tissue. What happened next was that I was scheduled for an ultrasound and needle biopsy. The doctor never had to do the biopsy because the anomaly that was spotted was a bulging blood vessel. I was told it was all part of the healing process from the LND I'd had. Whew!

The best thing you can do for the time being is contact the oncologist to get this checked out.

Linny
                  Participant

samcanada
                    Participant

Hi Mary and thank you for your response. I apologize for not being specific enough, my husband had his surgery last year, Nov 2011 and it was the superficial nodes that were taken. I have been on the lookout for a recurrence since then but admit I have been focusing on the surgery site itself and the WLE and I am pretty sure I have been all but ignoring the drain area. Since the drain (according to my husband) was quite long when it came out I assumed there might be some scar tissue but since I have not read any posts about it I was concerned. Any time you feel something different it is so scary.

I know filling out the profile is helpful but in a strange way it would make all this more real for me. I know that doesn't make much sense but this has been so very hard for me and I think I am taking baby steps (even asking this question was hard for me).

samcanada
                      Participant

washoegal
                      Participant

If you are speaking of just this last November, you must remember that healing is still going on so it is not wise to poke and prode there.  If you are speaking of a year ago, then yes it could be scar tissue.  It is unlikely that it is a reoccurance in that location if he had a complete lymph node dissection.   But with anything worrisome point it out on his next visit to the Oncologist, if there is fast occuring change make an appointment sooner rather than later.

Just a note: it is easier to answer questions and we can be more helpful if profiles are completed.  For instance when were surgeries done?  Did he have a complete or just a SLND?

Mary

Stage3

washoegal
                        Participant

Mary

Stage3

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics