The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scanxiety: Last scan karma

Forums General Melanoma Community Scanxiety: Last scan karma

Participant

Hi all,

My husband has his annual CT scan next Thursday, and as usual, scanxiety has set in early with me.  His oncologist says that this will be his last CT scan as the benefits of scanning do not outweigh the risks at this point.  He is 9.5 years out from a stage iiia diagnosis, and has been NED the entire time. 

Hi all,

My husband has his annual CT scan next Thursday, and as usual, scanxiety has set in early with me.  His oncologist says that this will be his last CT scan as the benefits of scanning do not outweigh the risks at this point.  He is 9.5 years out from a stage iiia diagnosis, and has been NED the entire time. 

I know it's magical thinking, but I have these terrible feelings that because the onc says this is his last scan, something will show up and it will be the start of hell.  My husband is looking forward to no more scans, but it worries me that we'll have no more real knowledge after this point.  I know that most/many recurrences are found by the patient, not on a scan.  I also know that at this point, it is much more likely that he will live the rest of his life melanoma-free.  However, I know that melanoma is a hiding bitch and that it can come back at any time.

I realize how whiny this must sound – worrying about things that could be, but that are not happening right now, when so many people here are going through real hell. 

Just needed a venting place to put some of my fear.

Thanks,

Wendy

wife of stage iiia survivor – dx Jan 2002. 1.3mm ssm on right tricep, no ulceration; snb found spread to 1 lymph node in armpit, complete lymphadectomy = NED since March 2002.

(I added these details for people who are newly diagnosed and are searching for long-term stage iiia survivors)

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Becky
        Participant

My son is 3A with 2 years NED so I love hearing about long term survivors! I also understand how you must feel about the last scan. I would feel the same way.

Sending positive vibes to outweigh your karma fear!

Becky

Becky
          Participant

My son is 3A with 2 years NED so I love hearing about long term survivors! I also understand how you must feel about the last scan. I would feel the same way.

Sending positive vibes to outweigh your karma fear!

Becky

EmilyandMike
            Participant

Wendy – thanks for posting your husbands story – and you are not whining – this is just a part of living with a cancer diagnosis.   Who gets used to waiting for scan results? I dont think many do.  It is normal to be nervous and scared and I wish there was something that could help. 

One thing that helped us a bit…I am not sure how you get scan results but the stress of going to the doc and sitting in the room waiting to get the news was almost unbearable for us …so now we have requested a phone call instead.

My husband will be 2 years out from diagnosis for 3a in August. Scans are coming mid August and then he will go to the once a year schedule versus the every 6 months.  And of course we are both starting to get nervous….

Let us know how it goes

Best,

Emily

Jydnew
                Participant

I COMPLETELY agree!!  I always ask my husband to sign the record release, and he always forgets.  We usually get results the next day or the day after when I call his oncological nurse.  This time, however, the scan is a Thursday and we're leaving on a short vacay on Friday.  Yuck… waiting is not my specialty.  I recently read a post on here where someone said to take those days between the scan and the appointment as "free" days.  Days to just enjoy life, because worrying isn't going to do anything to help.  I hope we all can muster up at least some feelings of peace and hope at that tough time…

I wish your husband nothing but good health and peace.  How old is he?  My husband is now 36.  We've lived so many experiences over the past 10 years… it's amazing how life can go on, and great happiness can be felt, but the fear (at least in me) is always there.

EmilyandMike
                  Participant

Hi Wendy – you have been dealing with scanxiety for so long and at such a young age. Mike was diagnosed 2 years ago at the age of 41.  Waiting is not my specialty either…and waiting for this news really takes an emotional toll on us.  I hope that you both can enjoy your trip and "the moment" and not worry about what the future holds – always easier said then done.  Its nice to be able to talk about your fears with people who understand – our "no-cancer" friends dont really get what these scans mean.  Take care!  Emily

EmilyandMike
                    Participant

Hi Wendy – you have been dealing with scanxiety for so long and at such a young age. Mike was diagnosed 2 years ago at the age of 41.  Waiting is not my specialty either…and waiting for this news really takes an emotional toll on us.  I hope that you both can enjoy your trip and "the moment" and not worry about what the future holds – always easier said then done.  Its nice to be able to talk about your fears with people who understand – our "no-cancer" friends dont really get what these scans mean.  Take care!  Emily

Jydnew
                      Participant

I COMPLETELY agree!!  I always ask my husband to sign the record release, and he always forgets.  We usually get results the next day or the day after when I call his oncological nurse.  This time, however, the scan is a Thursday and we're leaving on a short vacay on Friday.  Yuck… waiting is not my specialty.  I recently read a post on here where someone said to take those days between the scan and the appointment as "free" days.  Days to just enjoy life, because worrying isn't going to do anything to help.  I hope we all can muster up at least some feelings of peace and hope at that tough time…

I wish your husband nothing but good health and peace.  How old is he?  My husband is now 36.  We've lived so many experiences over the past 10 years… it's amazing how life can go on, and great happiness can be felt, but the fear (at least in me) is always there.

EmilyandMike
                      Participant

Wendy – thanks for posting your husbands story – and you are not whining – this is just a part of living with a cancer diagnosis.   Who gets used to waiting for scan results? I dont think many do.  It is normal to be nervous and scared and I wish there was something that could help. 

One thing that helped us a bit…I am not sure how you get scan results but the stress of going to the doc and sitting in the room waiting to get the news was almost unbearable for us …so now we have requested a phone call instead.

My husband will be 2 years out from diagnosis for 3a in August. Scans are coming mid August and then he will go to the once a year schedule versus the every 6 months.  And of course we are both starting to get nervous….

Let us know how it goes

Best,

Emily

washoegal
                        Participant

First congratulations on NED so long.  I'm 3a, 16 months NED.  So scaniexty never goes away?  Well, you are not being whiny you are being practical.  I think I'd go crazy if they told me I was never going to have another scan.  It becomes a love/hate relationship with scans.  Best suggestion is never feel paranoid about any symptom your husband may have.  Get to the doctor if it doesn't go away in a few days.I do understand completely how you are feeling, they are taking away your saefty net.

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                          Participant

First congratulations on NED so long.  I'm 3a, 16 months NED.  So scaniexty never goes away?  Well, you are not being whiny you are being practical.  I think I'd go crazy if they told me I was never going to have another scan.  It becomes a love/hate relationship with scans.  Best suggestion is never feel paranoid about any symptom your husband may have.  Get to the doctor if it doesn't go away in a few days.I do understand completely how you are feeling, they are taking away your saefty net.

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3

cfw9186
                            Participant

Let's just say it bluntly……..scans SUCKangry

cfw9186
                              Participant

Let's just say it bluntly……..scans SUCKangry

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics