The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scanxiety

Forums General Melanoma Community Scanxiety

Participant

I was initially diagnosed in December 2012, had sentinel node biopsy in January 2013, and lymph node dissection in February 2013.  My melanoma oncologist said I was officially Stage 3a, but more like a Stage 3b, because of the depth and thinkness of my primary and the high rate of mitosis. So he says I'm 3a/3b.

I've had 3 CT scans in the last year and a brain MRI – all clear.  Friday is my 4th CT scan, and I'm nervous to the point of distraction. I feel like I can't make any plans for vacations, or much of anything, until I get those results.

There is so much conflicting information about survival rates and disease free survival rates on the Internet – much of it out of date.  I'm sure I read something at some point about the 2-year NED anniversary as being a point where odds against recurrence improve, but can't find anything to that effect right now.

Leading up to my scans, I always do some research on the latest treatments for metastatic melanoma, to convince myself that stage 4 isn't necessarily a death sentence.  I also draw comfort from reading the posts of many on this site who have withstood various treatments and are still around.

I know I'm rambling, but I just wanted to reach out, in case anyone has any words of wisdom on how to survive the run up to the scan, and the even worse wait for results.

Thanks!

Roxanne

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hi Roxanne!

Nobody likes the waiting.  It's mind numbing!  I think everyone goes a little crazy in the process.  I know I do.  I  I've been trying to keep it together to work and get stuff done for about a week now and my scans are still 12 days off (yes, I know exactly how many days!- it's like that!).   The waiting and being in transition can be exhusting!  

Although I'm Stage 3c, I know Stage 4 isn't a death sentence.  There are too many Stage 4 warriers on this board for me to say that. But I do feel the (potential) transition and this messes with my heart.  I'm sure everyone of us has some kind of issues with waiting for scans, or anything for that matter.

I have found that doing centering contemplation / prayer helps.  And while it's not a cure all, or fix it (sometimes I come out of it just as anxious as I went in), I think it does help remind me thatI belong, and am loved and cared.  And somehow that helps put my heart at ease, even if I forget in my next breath.  I find it helps me to lean into my faith and those around me.  Maybe there is something that you can do to help remind you, that you too belong and are loved?  

Waiting with you,
          Julie

Dx 2008, WLE, SNB, LND, HD-INF, GM-CSF. IPI…
            democat
            Participant

Thank you Julie. I've been doing Pilates to unwind and made plans with friends for the evening of my scan (rather than staying home and worrying). It's just such a strange cycle – a period of time every few months where I have to contemplate my mortality.  I will say that it has made me see the beauty in the world, and has pushed me to do things I had delayed doing (but always wanted to do).

I find it irritating that everyone (family and friends) tells me "I'm sure it will be fine" and "you have nothing to worry about."

Thanks again,

Roxanne

shanemcdonald99
              Participant

I get irritated with those comments also Roxanne !

Then I feel bad because they dont know what to say, and then sometimes I have a beer to try and kill those bad feelings:  then I might take an extra pain killer the next day and realize it doesnt work and I go back to normal and start the cycle over.

It is sometimes difficult to manage this disease. It certainly is a strange cycle.

In the beginning, they found it in my spine and it spread to lungs, liver ,and pancreas. I also had a separate thyroid cancer which disqualified me from any trial. Also braf negative.

I ran and jumped into my death bed initially. I figured " thats it".

After awhile I climbed out when I realized it might take awhile and I had to function in this world. Also, reading posts in this forum inspired me to try things and think more positively about life and try to see the beauty in things. I am thankful for all the people that post here.

p.s.    I get super anxious just before the scans, I dont know if I can be strapped into an MRI machine

again !   Xanax doesnt even touch my anxiety !

peace

Shane

democat
                Participant

Julie and Shane

Somehow, I feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one that goes crazy before scans, and even crazier waiting for results.  I also haven't found any medication that works (except wine).  One time, my CT scan technician actually said – "melanoma, at least that one's very treatable." All I could think was, not for the people who have to come in for scans it's not.  I wasn't up for a fight, and I didn't set him straight.

So far, I've been lucky, and I am grateful.

Best of luck to you two!

Roxanne

democat
                  Participant

Julie and Shane

Somehow, I feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only one that goes crazy before scans, and even crazier waiting for results.  I also haven't found any medication that works (except wine).  One time, my CT scan technician actually said – "melanoma, at least that one's very treatable." All I could think was, not for the people who have to come in for scans it's not.  I wasn't up for a fight, and I didn't set him straight.

Best of luck to you two!

Roxanne

democat
                    Participant

Julie and Shane

Best of luck to you two!

Roxanne

shanemcdonald99
                      Participant

Then I feel bad because they dont know what to say, and then sometimes I have a beer to try and kill those bad feelings:  then I might take an extra pain killer the next day and realize it doesnt work and I go back to normal and start the cycle over.

It is sometimes difficult to manage this disease. It certainly is a strange cycle.

In the beginning, they found it in my spine and it spread to lungs, liver ,and pancreas. I also had a separate thyroid cancer which disqualified me from any trial. Also braf negative.

After awhile I climbed out when I realized it might take awhile and I had to function in this world. Also, reading posts in this forum inspired me to try things and think more positively about life and try to see the beauty in things. I am thankful for all the people that post here.

p.s.    I get super anxious just before the scans, I dont know if I can be strapped into an MRI machine

peace

Shane

shanemcdonald99
                        Participant

peace

Shane

democat
                          Participant

Thank you Julie. I've been doing Pilates to unwind and made plans with friends for the evening of my scan (rather than staying home and worrying). It's just such a strange cycle – a period of time every few months where I have to contemplate my mortality.  I will say that it has made me see the beauty in the world, and has pushed me to do things I had delayed doing (but always wanted to do).

I find it irritating that everyone (family and friends) tells me "I'm sure it will be fine" and "you have nothing to worry about."

Thanks again,

Roxanne

democat
                            Participant

Thanks again,

Roxanne

Julie in SoCal
                            Participant

Hi Roxanne!

Nobody likes the waiting.  It's mind numbing!  I think everyone goes a little crazy in the process.  I know I do.  I  I've been trying to keep it together to work and get stuff done for about a week now and my scans are still 12 days off (yes, I know exactly how many days!- it's like that!).   The waiting and being in transition can be exhusting!  

Although I'm Stage 3c, I know Stage 4 isn't a death sentence.  There are too many Stage 4 warriers on this board for me to say that. But I do feel the (potential) transition and this messes with my heart.  I'm sure everyone of us has some kind of issues with waiting for scans, or anything for that matter.

I have found that doing centering contemplation / prayer helps.  And while it's not a cure all, or fix it (sometimes I come out of it just as anxious as I went in), I think it does help remind me thatI belong, and am loved and cared.  And somehow that helps put my heart at ease, even if I forget in my next breath.  I find it helps me to lean into my faith and those around me.  Maybe there is something that you can do to help remind you, that you too belong and are loved?  

Waiting with you,
                              Julie

Julie in SoCal
                              Participant

Hi Roxanne!

Waiting with you,
                                Julie

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics