The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scans tomorrow!

Forums General Melanoma Community Scans tomorrow!

Participant

I haven’t posted in awhile and things are pretty much quite.  I successfully complete the dendritic cell vaccine trial at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and I hope I get some type of benefit from it even though it was only a Phase 1.  The research doctors there are very optimistic about this type of treatment because it is supposed to “train” your body’s own immune system to identify and destroy melanoma cells.  This trail involved me receiving 50 injections in my groin and armpit over a 3 month period.  These injections were made from my own harvested stem cells and were “encoded” with melanoma antigens so that the immune system response was hopefully tailored to recognize only melanoma.

Tomorrow I go for my 9 month scans and hopefully I am still NED from my neck dissection last May.  I feel fine but as you know, every little ache, pain or discomfort sends my mind in a spin.  Luckily, my oncologist schedules the scans for early in the morning and I meet with her in the afternoon for the results.  I still have “scanxiety” wondering what if they find something.

I will report back with my results and hopefully I will be on the way to 1 year NED!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

That sounds like a very promising trial. Good luck to you tomorrow. Let us know how things go for you.

POW
          Participant

That sounds like a very promising trial. Good luck to you tomorrow. Let us know how things go for you.

POW
            Participant

BrianP
              Participant

Sounds like you got into a really promising adjuvant trial.  Good adjuvant trails can be hard to come by.  Best of luck with your scan.  If you don't mind can you post the ID number for the trial so I can look it up and read more about it. 

Thanks,

Brian

POW
                  Participant

Brian, I don't know which trial aquamark is in. However, I do know that Sloan Kettering does conduct some small (apparantly self-financed) in-house clinical trials on dendritic cell vaccines. You might check out the MSK web site to see what they're offering now.

POW
                    Participant

Brian, I don't know which trial aquamark is in. However, I do know that Sloan Kettering does conduct some small (apparantly self-financed) in-house clinical trials on dendritic cell vaccines. You might check out the MSK web site to see what they're offering now.

POW
                      Participant

BrianP
                      Participant

Sounds like you got into a really promising adjuvant trial.  Good adjuvant trails can be hard to come by.  Best of luck with your scan.  If you don't mind can you post the ID number for the trial so I can look it up and read more about it. 

Thanks,

Brian

BrianP
                        Participant

Thanks,

Brian

tschmith
                          Participant

Best wishes for clear scans!  The best cure for "scanxiety"!

tschmith
                            Participant

tschmith
                              Participant

aquamak
                                Participant

Great news-scans clear!  9 months NED.  I know it is a short time but it is an important milestone for me and now lloking forward to 1 year.  Thank you all for your kind words and the best of health to everyone!

For BrianP:  the clinical trail ID at MSKCC is 10-229.

aquamak
                                  Participant

Great news-scans clear!  9 months NED.  I know it is a short time but it is an important milestone for me and now lloking forward to 1 year.  Thank you all for your kind words and the best of health to everyone!

BrianP
                                      Participant

Awesome news!!!  Thanks for the ID number.  I will check that one out.

Brian

BrianP
                                        Participant

Brian

BrianP
                                          Participant

Brian

Jahendry12
                                            Participant

So happy about your good news!  Celebrate every milestone. 

Here's to may more months & years NED!!!!

Jahendry12
                                              Participant

Jahendry12
                                                Participant

aquamak
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics