The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scan Results and Joint Pain

Forums General Melanoma Community Scan Results and Joint Pain

Participant

Had another PET/CT on Tuesday. Just got results this morning. The only new thing was a 3mm spot on the upper lobe of my left lung. It was not there on previous scans. My onc is not worried about it since lung spots can be so many different things and this is tiny. Will be keeping a close watch on it with the next scans. Everything else looked good. 

My joints have been really bothering me the past week. I have a history of joint problems, mostly in my finger joints. They're killing me to type but I like torture I guess. My knees, wrists, elbows, hips.. they all hate me. Some days I feel like I am 29 going on 89. But, it's not debilitating, I can walk around and go to work and moderate my activity. My onc didn't want to put me on a steroid right now, she'd rather hold off for as long as possible and hopefully the joint issues resolve on their own and I don't need steroids. She prescribed Percocet for the pain, just to have something a bit stronger than aspirin or ibuprofen that do absolutely nothing to relieve the pain. I don't like taking strong medication, I still have a whole bottle of Norco that I was given after my surgery, took that stuff one day and it made me sick so I never took it again. I'll try a half a Percocet, but doubt I'll want to take it for long. I've tried anti-inflammatory foods like tumeric and pineapple, but at this level it does nothing. Any other suggestions for joint pain would be appreciated.

Hope everyone is enjoying the beginning of summer.

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        EkinIstanbul
        Participant

Hi Jen, have you tried Glucosamine cohondrite with msm? 

EkinIstanbul
          Participant

jennunicorn
              Participant

I've looked into it in the past, haven't tried it yet. I could run that by my onc and see what she says. Thanks.

jennunicorn
                Participant

I've looked into it in the past, haven't tried it yet. I could run that by my onc and see what she says. Thanks.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

EkinIstanbul
                  Participant

Polymath
                    Participant

Hi Jenn,

Great news about the good looking PET/CT.  In our boat, stable is good.  I also want to mention that your posts are fabulous and must be helping a great number of people.  I always find them right on point, and delivered with warmth and caring.  Perhaps you should have been the doctor.  In regard to joint pain, I am no expert, but since I'm twice your age, everyday aches and pains, throughout the body have become routine and I think go with the territory.  I would suggest you give Norco another try and be sure to take it with food even though its not specified.  I take a couple everyday and I even consider myself mildly addicted but even my doctors say I have bigger fish to fry since I have a stubborn, aggressive Stage IV case.  They just make my overall day better, help me maintain appetite, and definitely ease the aches and pains.  Opioids get a bad rap, along with steroids.  There is definitely a time and place for these meds. Aren't we suffering enough?

Gary

jennunicorn
                        Participant

Thank you for your kind words Gary. I will give the pain meds another try, with food sounds like a good idea. 

jennunicorn
                          Participant

Thank you for your kind words Gary. I will give the pain meds another try, with food sounds like a good idea. 

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Polymath
                            Participant

Hi Jenn,

Great news about the good looking PET/CT.  In our boat, stable is good.  I also want to mention that your posts are fabulous and must be helping a great number of people.  I always find them right on point, and delivered with warmth and caring.  Perhaps you should have been the doctor.  In regard to joint pain, I am no expert, but since I'm twice your age, everyday aches and pains, throughout the body have become routine and I think go with the territory.  I would suggest you give Norco another try and be sure to take it with food even though its not specified.  I take a couple everyday and I even consider myself mildly addicted but even my doctors say I have bigger fish to fry since I have a stubborn, aggressive Stage IV case.  They just make my overall day better, help me maintain appetite, and definitely ease the aches and pains.  Opioids get a bad rap, along with steroids.  There is definitely a time and place for these meds. Aren't we suffering enough?

Gary

Polymath
                              Participant

Hi Jenn,

Gary

Janner
                                Participant

I've had lots of issues with joint pain unrelated to melanoma.  8 knee surgeries starting quite young.  I also don't tolerate narcotics well – I get so sick I'd rather be in pain.  I tried glucosamine/chondroitin to no effect.  My doc at the time told me it either helps or doesn't – give it two months to get into your system and if it doesn't work by then, drop it.

I also did diclofenac daily for several years (NSAID).  It worked better than ibuprofin/naprosyn for me – don't need to take as many or as often.  Older anti-inflam.  Kept me going for a while before having to move to a more drastic surgery.  It didn't fix things but made everything more tolerable.  After I stopped taking it, I had other little arthritic issues come back that I didn't realize had been helped by the daily dose of this med — until it was gone.  I'm not a big pill pusher but sometimes you have to do whatever to get by.  Daily anti-inflams work much better than occasional use.

For me, I resort to ice and heat.  Heat feels better but ice usually works better.  Low tech.  I did two knee replacements at the same time on ice alone – no narcotics after day 2. Couldn't take any anti-inflams as I was on a blood thinner.  It wasn't easy.  But for those who have an intolerance or distaste for narcotics, it's about the only thing that provided ANY type of pain relief.

Corn/rice bags for heat, gel packs for ice, even compression gloves or sleeves for fingers/hands.  You may only be able to choose the worst body part for that day, but maybe it will help some.

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

Thanks for the advice Janner. I have been icing my knees after work, I'll try heat too. Compression gloves sound like a great idea, the fingers tend to be most annoying since hands are used for everything! I have a knee brace that helps a bit to wear while I am at work too. 

jennunicorn
                                      Participant

Thanks for the advice Janner. I have been icing my knees after work, I'll try heat too. Compression gloves sound like a great idea, the fingers tend to be most annoying since hands are used for everything! I have a knee brace that helps a bit to wear while I am at work too. 

jennunicorn
                                        Participant

Janner
                                        Participant

I've had lots of issues with joint pain unrelated to melanoma.  8 knee surgeries starting quite young.  I also don't tolerate narcotics well – I get so sick I'd rather be in pain.  I tried glucosamine/chondroitin to no effect.  My doc at the time told me it either helps or doesn't – give it two months to get into your system and if it doesn't work by then, drop it.

I also did diclofenac daily for several years (NSAID).  It worked better than ibuprofin/naprosyn for me – don't need to take as many or as often.  Older anti-inflam.  Kept me going for a while before having to move to a more drastic surgery.  It didn't fix things but made everything more tolerable.  After I stopped taking it, I had other little arthritic issues come back that I didn't realize had been helped by the daily dose of this med — until it was gone.  I'm not a big pill pusher but sometimes you have to do whatever to get by.  Daily anti-inflams work much better than occasional use.

For me, I resort to ice and heat.  Heat feels better but ice usually works better.  Low tech.  I did two knee replacements at the same time on ice alone – no narcotics after day 2. Couldn't take any anti-inflams as I was on a blood thinner.  It wasn't easy.  But for those who have an intolerance or distaste for narcotics, it's about the only thing that provided ANY type of pain relief.

Corn/rice bags for heat, gel packs for ice, even compression gloves or sleeves for fingers/hands.  You may only be able to choose the worst body part for that day, but maybe it will help some.

Janner
                                          Participant

Jubes
                                            Participant

Hi jenn

i have had really painful sponyloarthritis issues with pembro and had to stop treatment. I tried everything and my rheumatologist has done papers on me. After being on 25 mg steroids for a year, we changed to a combination of plaquenil( a malaria drug and ketoprofen ( 200mg slow release) it helped for a while but my movement was still very restricted. Eventually the side effects overtook the drugs so we went to infliximab as last resort and it has worked wonders. I am off all drugs now except the steroids which I am weaning off very slowly. Down to 4 mg per day. But planning to get back to work soon and hoping that the infliximab does not make the otherwise stable cancer flare up again. 

Anne-Louise 

jennunicorn
                                                Participant

Thank you for sharing your experience, glad to hear you're off the drugs and doing well. Good stuff to know if I need to ask about further treatment for the joint pain.

jennunicorn
                                                  Participant

Thank you for sharing your experience, glad to hear you're off the drugs and doing well. Good stuff to know if I need to ask about further treatment for the joint pain.

jennunicorn
                                                    Participant

Jubes
                                                    Participant

Hi jenn

i have had really painful sponyloarthritis issues with pembro and had to stop treatment. I tried everything and my rheumatologist has done papers on me. After being on 25 mg steroids for a year, we changed to a combination of plaquenil( a malaria drug and ketoprofen ( 200mg slow release) it helped for a while but my movement was still very restricted. Eventually the side effects overtook the drugs so we went to infliximab as last resort and it has worked wonders. I am off all drugs now except the steroids which I am weaning off very slowly. Down to 4 mg per day. But planning to get back to work soon and hoping that the infliximab does not make the otherwise stable cancer flare up again. 

Anne-Louise 

Jubes
                                                      Participant

Hi jenn

Anne-Louise 

Cynthia C
                                                        Participant

I have tried a lot of things for my knee issues. What really does work for me is a supplement I buy at Vitamin Cottage. The "NOW" brand Boswellia Extract 250mg WITH Turmeric Root Extract. Here is a link to this product. The brand has many Boswellia products but I only have used the Boswellia with Turmeric.

http://www.nowfoods.com/Boswellia-Extract-250-mg-60-Veg-Capsules.htm

Article about Boswellia:

https://www.verywell.com/the-health-benefits-of-boswellia-89549

Cynthia

Cynthia C
                                                          Participant

I have tried a lot of things for my knee issues. What really does work for me is a supplement I buy at Vitamin Cottage. The "NOW" brand Boswellia Extract 250mg WITH Turmeric Root Extract. Here is a link to this product. The brand has many Boswellia products but I only have used the Boswellia with Turmeric.

Article about Boswellia:

Cynthia

jennunicorn
                                                              Participant

Thanks, unfortunately at the level the joints are now the tumeric supplements I have are not working as well as they did when my joints were just mildly bothersome. Hoping it gets under control soon enough and I can go back to feeling easy relief from more natural meds. 

jennunicorn
                                                                Participant

Thanks, unfortunately at the level the joints are now the tumeric supplements I have are not working as well as they did when my joints were just mildly bothersome. Hoping it gets under control soon enough and I can go back to feeling easy relief from more natural meds. 

jennunicorn
                                                                  Participant

Cynthia C
                                                                  Participant

Article about Boswellia:

Cynthia

BrianP
                                                                    Participant

Congrats on the good scans Jenn.  Hope you can find some relief from the joint pain.  I've had a couple of those small lung spots as well in the past that have ended up being nothing. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                                      Participant

Congrats on the good scans Jenn.  Hope you can find some relief from the joint pain.  I've had a couple of those small lung spots as well in the past that have ended up being nothing. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                                        Participant

Brian

vickiaa0529
                                                                          Participant

Hi Jen

I have joint pain too. Really bad knees from running. I hate taking the pain meds too. Mine is always worse at night. I have taking Advil etc…Right now I am having good luck with essitenal oils. Also good news on the scans. Have a great weekend

Vicki

jennunicorn
                                                                              Participant

Thanks Vicki, what essential oils do you use? I sleep with pillows under my knees right now, definitely worse at night after a day at work. Will be resting everything this weekend.

jennunicorn
                                                                                Participant

Thanks Vicki, what essential oils do you use? I sleep with pillows under my knees right now, definitely worse at night after a day at work. Will be resting everything this weekend.

jennunicorn
                                                                                  Participant

vickiaa0529
                                                                                    Participant

Hi

Just saw this…I use peppermint and Rosemary and also swear by Frankincense. The Frankincense is pricey

Pillow between my legs works for me too.

jennunicorn
                                                                                      Participant

Thank you Vicki! 🙂

jennunicorn
                                                                                        Participant

Thank you Vicki! 🙂

jennunicorn
                                                                                          Participant

Thank you Vicki! 🙂

vickiaa0529
                                                                                            Participant

Hi

Just saw this…I use peppermint and Rosemary and also swear by Frankincense. The Frankincense is pricey

vickiaa0529
                                                                                              Participant

Hi

vickiaa0529
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Jen

I have joint pain too. Really bad knees from running. I hate taking the pain meds too. Mine is always worse at night. I have taking Advil etc…Right now I am having good luck with essitenal oils. Also good news on the scans. Have a great weekend

Vicki

vickiaa0529
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Jen

Vicki

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                  Participant

Hey Jen! 

What a mixed bag of news! I know it's hard to "watch and wait" on a new spot – anything new is definitely concerning…but as the onc said, it could be a million other things, too. So try and be positive and patient in the meantime! (I know, easier said than done!!!)

As for the arthritis, yes, you could try essential oils. I've heard good things about peppermint and rosemary for joints. Mix only a few drops with a carrier oil (jojoba, coconut, or even olive oil). Here's a little blip on essential oils for arthritis: http://www.essentialoilspedia.com/arthritis/

Also, I haven't tried it and can't speak for it working, but what about an infrared sauna? It's supposed to be great for skin elasticity and healing, so possibly good for arthritis? Possibly worth a try. Plus then you get a little pampered, which is always a good thing 😉

Hope you find something for the pain soon!

Lauren

jennunicorn
                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks for the encouraging words Lauren. I have those essential oils around so I will give that a try. I have never heard of an infrared sauna, but I sure love to get pampered so I'll have to look into that!

jennunicorn
                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks for the encouraging words Lauren. I have those essential oils around so I will give that a try. I have never heard of an infrared sauna, but I sure love to get pampered so I'll have to look into that!

jennunicorn
                                                                                                          Participant

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                          Participant

Hey Jen! 

What a mixed bag of news! I know it's hard to "watch and wait" on a new spot – anything new is definitely concerning…but as the onc said, it could be a million other things, too. So try and be positive and patient in the meantime! (I know, easier said than done!!!)

As for the arthritis, yes, you could try essential oils. I've heard good things about peppermint and rosemary for joints. Mix only a few drops with a carrier oil (jojoba, coconut, or even olive oil). Here's a little blip on essential oils for arthritis: http://www.essentialoilspedia.com/arthritis/

Also, I haven't tried it and can't speak for it working, but what about an infrared sauna? It's supposed to be great for skin elasticity and healing, so possibly good for arthritis? Possibly worth a try. Plus then you get a little pampered, which is always a good thing 😉

Lauren

WithinMySkin
                                                                                                            Participant

Hey Jen! 

Lauren

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                Jenn, so glad to hear scans came back clear. Sounds like the spot is nothing to worry about. I feel that when a doctor says that, it is more than likely true. They have to err on the side of caution. As you know my dad had a spot on liver, and something showed on a lymphnode. All along his doctor said she was not worried. He had an MRI on liver and biopsy on lymphnode. All came back clear.

Are you taking curcumin for your joint issues? I am on it for some wrist issues and it is extremely helpful. Also as an added bonus, it is one of the most highly regarded supplements in the fight against cancer. I take about 1200 mg every day. Curamin and Dr’s Best are two brands I am using. You can try different brands to see which one works best for you. My dad is on 1700 mg a day.

Keep up that wonderful attitude Jenn, you are an inspiration!

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  Jenn, so glad to hear scans came back clear. Sounds like the spot is nothing to worry about. I feel that when a doctor says that, it is more than likely true. They have to err on the side of caution. As you know my dad had a spot on liver, and something showed on a lymphnode. All along his doctor said she was not worried. He had an MRI on liver and biopsy on lymphnode. All came back clear.

Are you taking curcumin for your joint issues? I am on it for some wrist issues and it is extremely helpful. Also as an added bonus, it is one of the most highly regarded supplements in the fight against cancer. I take about 1200 mg every day. Curamin and Dr’s Best are two brands I am using. You can try different brands to see which one works best for you. My dad is on 1700 mg a day.

Annie

Daza08
                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                      HI everyone just wondering if you can help me with some questions in regards with the pains.Recently I have been diagnosed with stage 1b melanoma had my first biopsy and still waiting for the results from WLE and SLNB.Could you pls tell me if you already had the pains before being diagnosed or they came after.I soon I had my shave of my mole I started to have realy bad bone pains and are getting worse in the night. At the moment I am taking dicoflex 3 time / day but soon I am afraid it won’t work both my GP and plastic surgeon are more then sure that is not related to melanoma however I never had this pains before.My pains are in the arms most in my bones from my bottom sometimes with a burning sensation.Could you pls tell me if you guys having the same pains.Thanks
                                                                                                                      Daza08
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                        HI everyone just wondering if you can help me with some questions in regards with the pains.Recently I have been diagnosed with stage 1b melanoma had my first biopsy and still waiting for the results from WLE and SLNB.Could you pls tell me if you already had the pains before being diagnosed or they came after.I soon I had my shave of my mole I started to have realy bad bone pains and are getting worse in the night. At the moment I am taking dicoflex 3 time / day but soon I am afraid it won’t work both my GP and plastic surgeon are more then sure that is not related to melanoma however I never had this pains before.My pains are in the arms most in my bones from my bottom sometimes with a burning sensation.Could you pls tell me if you guys having the same pains.Thanks
                                                                                                                        jennunicorn
                                                                                                                        Participant

A lot of people, even in stage 4, don't have pain.. don't feel sick or know they were that advanced until scans showed it. A lot of pain that comes is from side effects of treatment, like for myself I have pain because the treatment I am on is causing my joints to become inflamed. If the pain is around the area you've had surgery, that could be your nerves that were messed with causing pain and in the act of healing. Otherwise, with such a low stage, it is very unlikely the pains you're experiencing has anything to do with melanoma. Try not to stress too much, it won't help. 

jennunicorn
                                                                                                                          Participant

A lot of people, even in stage 4, don't have pain.. don't feel sick or know they were that advanced until scans showed it. A lot of pain that comes is from side effects of treatment, like for myself I have pain because the treatment I am on is causing my joints to become inflamed. If the pain is around the area you've had surgery, that could be your nerves that were messed with causing pain and in the act of healing. Otherwise, with such a low stage, it is very unlikely the pains you're experiencing has anything to do with melanoma. Try not to stress too much, it won't help. 

jennunicorn
                                                                                                                            Participant

Daza08
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                jennunicorn
                                                                                                                                Participant

Thank you Annie, I have taken a similar supplement which used to work well with my mild joint pains, now it does nothing which is unfortunate. I am hoping this bout of pain won't last too long and I can continue to do the easy natural treatments that used to work.

Hope you and your dad are doing well.

jennunicorn
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you Annie, I have taken a similar supplement which used to work well with my mild joint pains, now it does nothing which is unfortunate. I am hoping this bout of pain won't last too long and I can continue to do the easy natural treatments that used to work.

Daza08
                                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                                      Thank you Jenn for your prompt response I would love to think my pains are due to stress but unfortunately they are not. Still need to wait for the results in order to do something .All the best
                                                                                                                                      Daza08
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        Thank you Jenn for your prompt response I would love to think my pains are due to stress but unfortunately they are not. Still need to wait for the results in order to do something .All the best
                                                                                                                                        Daza08
                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                          jennunicorn
                                                                                                                                          Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Annie

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics