The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scan results

Forums General Melanoma Community Scan results

Participant

The news was all good on Monday.  NED in both brain and body.  My CTs will now be every 4 months instead of 3 months.  Brain MRI remain a 6 months.  I do not have the BRAF mutation, but qualify for Yervoy if I have another met (I've had one surgically removed from each lung, brain and small intestine).  Also, Siteman Cancer Center in St.

The news was all good on Monday.  NED in both brain and body.  My CTs will now be every 4 months instead of 3 months.  Brain MRI remain a 6 months.  I do not have the BRAF mutation, but qualify for Yervoy if I have another met (I've had one surgically removed from each lung, brain and small intestine).  Also, Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis is participating in a trial of a drug for those without the BRAF mutation).  Of course I'm thrilled to be NED, but it's helpful to know there are options.  Those of you who have been there know this – but having the interval between scans lengthened is like a snow day in grade school.  Blessings to all who fight this beast and may your news be hopeful as well.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Nell
        Participant

I am happy for you that you have great news!!  Could you tell me about the trial at Siteman? I am BRAF negative

Randy437
            Participant

I'm afraid I don't have any information on it.  It was just mentioned to me in passing when I asked about Yervoy. 

Randy437
              Participant

I'm afraid I don't have any information on it.  It was just mentioned to me in passing when I asked about Yervoy. 

Randy437
                Participant

Nell
                Participant

I am happy for you that you have great news!!  Could you tell me about the trial at Siteman? I am BRAF negative

Nell
                  Participant

jyc
                    Participant

Wonderful news!  Rock on!

jyc
                      Participant

jyc
                        Participant

jag
                          Participant

Good for you, congratulations and thanks for sharing the news!  At this point w/PET, CT, and MRI, combined I have had over 100 scans.  They used to bother me, but now I know that to be proactive and get melanoma early is definitely the way to go.  You are 100% right about NED too.  Each NED I get, I feel like I have another 6-9months added onto my life, knowing there are other treatment options if there is a recurrence is even better.  I hit brain met status, in 2006 and the only options then were Temodar, Surgery, focal radiation, and whole brain. To now know that there are more really gives a sense of hope.  Back then, the only people on this board who had survived with brain mets were less than 2(that I knew of)  I wish you continued NED in the future so that you can graduate to 6 mo status.  I'm kind of nervous about going to 1 year status, as early scans tend to lead to early intervention and allows for better planning/strategizing, but eventually one has to just jump into the pool, it can be scary, but in the end it is usually worth it and fun.

God Bless

John

Gene_S
                              Participant

Just hope that your cure with all those scans doesn't cause you to get another type of  cancer!

Gene_S
                                Participant

Just hope that your cure with all those scans doesn't cause you to get another type of  cancer!

Gene_S
                                  Participant

jag
                                  Participant

Good for you, congratulations and thanks for sharing the news!  At this point w/PET, CT, and MRI, combined I have had over 100 scans.  They used to bother me, but now I know that to be proactive and get melanoma early is definitely the way to go.  You are 100% right about NED too.  Each NED I get, I feel like I have another 6-9months added onto my life, knowing there are other treatment options if there is a recurrence is even better.  I hit brain met status, in 2006 and the only options then were Temodar, Surgery, focal radiation, and whole brain. To now know that there are more really gives a sense of hope.  Back then, the only people on this board who had survived with brain mets were less than 2(that I knew of)  I wish you continued NED in the future so that you can graduate to 6 mo status.  I'm kind of nervous about going to 1 year status, as early scans tend to lead to early intervention and allows for better planning/strategizing, but eventually one has to just jump into the pool, it can be scary, but in the end it is usually worth it and fun.

God Bless

John

jag
                                    Participant

God Bless

John

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics