The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scan Anxiety

Forums General Melanoma Community Scan Anxiety

Participant
      Hey all,

You can see me last post for details on my brief melanoma experience. Basically I am 2b (ear) with Negative SLN. It was found in February and surgery was early March. These past several weeks I’ve had very mild headaches. They sound completely opposite of what I’ve read about, they typically are better in the morning and get worse in the evening. Advil doesn’t seem to help, but I was on it for most of March because for some reason my body didn’t like stronger opioids post surgery (couldn’t sleep haha). Caffeine does seem to help some. I’m chalking it up to stress because there does seem to be a high correlation with stress/anxiety and headache intensity. It varies from about a 1/10 to 2/10 on the pain scale. I have no other symptoms. My surgeon and onc suggested that it was unlikely Melanoma in the brain. I am getting an MRI tomorrow (last one was less than 2 months ago).

I know this is pretty strong paranoia, since I just had an MRI, the symptoms don’t seem to be typical of a brain met from what i’ve read, and I’m only stage 2. But I’m curious if others have experienced a quick just from stage 2-4. Partially just trying to stay engaged with something as my work is currently very slow with virus and I have far too little to do at the moment.

I’ve also tried numerous anti-anxiety medicines and they don’t appear to have an impact. Even the strong stuff doesn’t seem to reduce anxiety.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant
          This may be a stupid question, but have you tried Allegra or other allergy medicine? I don’t know where you are, but we’re just moving past pollen season in Atlanta and that causes headaches which start off zero-mild and wind up,mich. ore noticeable later in the day. It’s good you’re getting the MRI, but don’t overlook some of the less concerning causes for the pain.
          Good luck!
            boatski
            Participant
              yeah, i take allergy medicine year round. I don’t feel like I’m having too much trouble on that front but it certainly could be it as well.
              sj
              Participant
                I suffer from allergies year round. I’m from Ireland initially and moved to USA in 2011 and I’ve suffered ever since. This past November I had surgery to fix a deviated septum & reduce my inferior turbinates. This honestly cleared up my sinusitis and the headaches I was getting regularly. I had a bunch of MRIs looking for a brain tumor but it turned out to be allergies. Hopefully this is the case with you too… worthwhile following up on it though.
              boatski
              Participant
                Just any case anyone searches for headaches in the forums like I did. I had an MRI and it came back clean. Like everyone says, imagining is important, but don’t panic and assume things are bad (like me).
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics