The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

SBRT of lung

Forums General Melanoma Community SBRT of lung

Participant

Well, I know some of you will bre  curious about my treatment, so I'll tell you all about it now. Last week I went in for radiation 'set up', which mostly just consisted of some measurements being taken while I was lying flat on a metal table, just like the table any of you might have been on for a ct scan or mri. A CT scan was used during this where they tracked the movement of the nodule in my lung while they were doing the measurements. I also got three tiny tattoos, used for targeting purposes, one on each side of my chest and one right in the center.

Yesterday was my first treatment, it was easy and painless except for the problems I have lying on my back. BUT, since I was allowed to eat a regular breakfast, I took a pain pill, and followed that up with an anti anxiety pill on my way there. So that helped me relax enough that the back didn't start hurting till right at the end.

Today, I was, of course, on the same kind of table, but the machinery was quite different. THIS is the actual machine they used: http://www.varian.com/us/oncology/radiation_oncology/clinac/

It was easily the simplest and most painless thing I've ever done to fight my melanoma, not even as stressful as a PET scan. I had to do no kind of preparation, no restrictions on my eating the day before or that morning, I just had to lie there. The machinery moved around me, and occasionally moved me..so once in a while the table was rotated, but mostly the arms of the machine moved around me.

The first half of the time in there was mostly scanning. they have to follow the way the tumor moves with breathing. The arms rotate around and shoot their radiation beams into you from many different directions (16 I am told) and for those who asked, there is indeed some laser involvement, but used for aiming an targeting. The radiation crew, while all this is going on, is out in another room, a big U shaped room that looks like the bridge of a spaceship, with all kinds of computers, and one with a big view of the room and me.

I kind of felt like I was in a space ship too. With some futuristic fullbody tricorder. just an illusion. It made robotic noises, like R2D2, and it was over right about the time my back was starting to hurt me.

Because this is unlike traditional radiation, the side effects can come faster and I'm told I could start having some early side effects, in terms of fatigue in the next couple of days. I did interferon back in 03/04 and can't really imagine any fatigue being worse than that, so I'm prepared. Other more serious side effects like, sore throat, skin burns, esophogitis and such could come later, but really I could just get away with minimal side effects, so that's what I am looking forward to. But I'll keep you all posted on the timetable and severity of such things

I have 3 treatments next week, mond/wed/fri, then one on the following monday. It will likely be 2 or 3 months before we scan again to see if this therapy is working. And hopefully it all goes without a hitch, I'll be ready for camping by april!

Dian
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        vivian
        Participant
          Dian,
          Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is wonderful to hear that your first treatment was easy! I replied to your earlier post about VATS vs SBRT. I too had a solitary lung nodule, which was removed 10 days ago by VATS. I am feeling pretty good now, although the first couple of days were a little rough, certainly worse than my previous surgeries. Please continue to post your treatment experiences, and here’s hoping for NED results!
          Lear
          vivian
          Participant
            Dian,
            Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is wonderful to hear that your first treatment was easy! I replied to your earlier post about VATS vs SBRT. I too had a solitary lung nodule, which was removed 10 days ago by VATS. I am feeling pretty good now, although the first couple of days were a little rough, certainly worse than my previous surgeries. Please continue to post your treatment experiences, and here’s hoping for NED results!
            Lear
            vivian
            Participant
              Dian,
              Lear
              DonW
              Participant

Great explanation, Dian. I'm glad the treatment is easy and I hope there are little of no side effects. Seems like this is the way to go and I hope you end up NED. Keep us posted as you move along.

DonW
                Participant

Great explanation, Dian. I'm glad the treatment is easy and I hope there are little of no side effects. Seems like this is the way to go and I hope you end up NED. Keep us posted as you move along.

DonW
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics