The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Saliva

Participant

After three Opdivo/Yervoy treatments, my husband had to stop treatment because of all the side effects.  You can see previous posts with more detail.  One thing still bothering him is very thick saliva that gets stuck in throat and makes it difficult to eat.  He has tried so many things–from mouthwash to sinus meds (thinking it was just drainage).  His  oncologist says this is a rare side effect. His last treatment was May 16th and this is still goimg on!  He needs to gain weight (lost forty lbs) and if he can just make this stop, eating would be a pleasure again.

I am hoping somone can offer some advice–thanks in advance!

Jim's wife

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Swanee
        Participant

One idea that comes to mind is Guaifenesin (Mucinex) it thins and loosens mucus.  My elderly mother has asthma and sometimes gets a rattle in her chest, despite no cold.  The doctor prescribes guaifenesin for a week or two at a time to help break up this rattle.  You might check with your doctor to see if this could also help your husband in a similar way, worth a try!  The side effects are minimal taken with plenty of water, has been effective for my mom!  Hope this helps!

Swanee 

smiller
            Participant

Thank you—I actually thought of that and asked a pharmacist about it.  He said since it wasn't in his chest it wouldn't do any good!  He recommended sudafed and a nasal spray.  He has been trying that for a few days but so far it's not working.

Jim's wife

Joycem
              Participant

I disagree w pharmacist you spoke with; guaifenesin thins phlegm and mucus wherever. Used for sinus frequently and several oncology sites suggest trying it for thick saliva post radiation. It is fairly cheap and safe so worth a try. Need to drink plenty of liquid for it to work well.  Also Biotene mouthwash or spray frequent rinsing gargling with salt water or baking soda. 

Bubbles
              Participant

Dry mouth, mucositis, even oral ulcers, and things having a poor or bad taste has become more recognized as a potential side effect to immunotherapy.  The "dry" feeling sounds like what your husband is dealing with – though each of us who have had it describe it a little differently.  I had pretty significant problems with this when I was on nivo and though I tried many things, I can't say that anything helped tremendously.  However, once off the treatment things gradually got better….though it did take time and even once better my oral issues would flare up periodically (still do) but become much less severe over time.  Hopefully, your husband will begin to see improvements soon.  Oddly enough, for me, as well as other little cancer patients on more typical chemo agents, lemonade, dill pickles and other foods along those lines…taste good and sort of cut through the mucus and dry mouth issues….though it seems like they would burn. Perhaps your husband may like them as well.  I wish you both well.  Celeste

smiller
                  Participant

Thank you–helps to know he's not alone!  And YES-he craves pickles at times!  Will try lemonade –Kool Aid is something else that brings some relief.

Thanks for all your replies to all the different posts.

Jim's wife

Hukill
                  Participant

After my third combo dose my saliva glands stopped working. I tried every over the counter mouth moisterizer there is. The doctor prescribed me artifical saliva which worked for about 5 seconds. This continued for 11 weeks. I had to carry a bottle of water with me everywhere as my mouth and throat would get so dry I would choke. I also carried a bottel of water with baking soda and salt to keep my mouth rinsed out. During this time my breath became horrible and I had to chew gum or mints just to be able to speak to other people. I would get up through the night to rinse my mouth. Some times I would wake up with my tounge stuck to the roof of my mouth. It has been 8 months since my saliva glands started working again but for the first week after a dose of nivo my saliva still gets really thick. During the 11 weeks I had to change my diet to soups or dishes with gravies or sauces. Also during this time my taste buds became wierd. Anything with salt was so salty I could not eat it. Also anything with sugar was like eating sugar with a spoon. To this day I still have issues with sugar tasting extra sweet. I had lost 32 pounds during this time, I called it the melanoma diet, all you had to do to lose weight was just to wake up.

smiller
                      Participant

My huband could be writing this….this describes his situation perfectly.  You are on the Nivo alone at this time?  He returns to the oncologist later this month to see if he begins with Nivo alone.  It's a little better now that he stopped treatment with the two meds.  I dread the thought that the issue could return again if he resumes–not sure if would continue.

Hukill
                        Participant

Yes, I still get nivo every other week even though I am in remission. The plan is to continue for 6 months with scans every 8 weeks and go from there.

PAbarb
                          Participant
                            I started with the thick fo as my saliva after treatment with Niv. During treatment just more of a dry sensation. Been off Niv for 5 months. Anyone get better ? It is loud uncomfortable and annoying ! Any thoughts appreciated
                      Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics