The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

?’s on multiple primaries

Forums General Melanoma Community ?’s on multiple primaries

Participant

Its been about two years since I first posted about my first primary on my neck. Since Januarary of this year I have had four more located on my back, with depths from .4mm-.7mm. So this makes five in two years. All treated with wle, and I am still a little sore from my last two wle's last week. I have the dysplastic nevi syndrome, and have north of 500 on my body. My derm told me I have tied his patient record for multiple primaries, and the surgeon told me it was a bit unusual.

Its been about two years since I first posted about my first primary on my neck. Since Januarary of this year I have had four more located on my back, with depths from .4mm-.7mm. So this makes five in two years. All treated with wle, and I am still a little sore from my last two wle's last week. I have the dysplastic nevi syndrome, and have north of 500 on my body. My derm told me I have tied his patient record for multiple primaries, and the surgeon told me it was a bit unusual.

So, my questions are, how unusual is this to get so many primaries so fast? With the atypical syndrome, is this what I can continue to expect? Am I now getting into a different risk factor for progression? With so many changes happening on my body so fast, I am not sure what to make of it. I did in fact find the last three, as I am being vigilant about watching for changes, but it is a challenge with so many to look at.

Any suggestions and or advice are much appreciated.

Also looking forward to chat getting up and running so I can come in and vent a little and talk with some of you i have met on there before.

Thanks,

Bob

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

This sounds very unusual, statistically speaking.

But it sounds like you have a heck of a dermatologist with over 500 nevi and all 5 of these were caught early.  How does he/she catch all these with over 500 to look at??

JC
          Participant

But it sounds like you have a heck of a dermatologist with over 500 nevi and all 5 of these were caught early.  How does he/she catch all these with over 500 to look at??

JC
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

How unusual?  Certainly in the lower percentages.  Since about <10% have more than one primary and most of those with more than one might have only two, you can see you're getting even lower in the odds. But I've know people with quite a few more than you have so you're not in any record breaking mode yet. Can you expect more?  Maybe.  It might be that now you know, you've caught the worst of the buggers and things will slow down.  A different risk factor for progression?  No.  Each primary is independent.  A study out of Australia showed people with multiple primaries actually had better survival statistics than those with one primary.   I found my three primaries and rely upon my eyes and gut feeling more than any doctor.   Do you use any type of body photography to help monitor things for change?  Truthfully, that's about the best you can do along with your own already proven plan.

Hopefully, the chat room will be up and running soon and you can vent away with the rest of us!

Best wishes,

Janner

Bobman
                  Participant

Thanks Janner.

I was hoping you would chime in , and I feel loads better with what you said. I am in the progress of  doing some body photography to help monitor things. I have a pretty good  idea now of what to look out for , after dozens of biopsies, and five wle's. The last three I found had changed pretty fast, so I reacted accordingly. Interestingly enough, none of my melanoma's have had the "text book" look to them. But they change enough for my internal sirens to sound off.

See you in chat sometime soon I hope!

Aloha,

Bob

Janner
                    Participant

My second and third primary didn't fit any text book description except CHANGE.  That's why I'm always harping that I think it is the most important factor.   My first was classic.  But CHANGE to me seems to encompass all the factors best.

Sorry to hear you've had more, but it really sounds like you are on top of everything.

yes

CLPrice31
                      Participant

I am so thankful one of my Twitter friends directed me to this question. I was diagnosed with stage III in January 2011, and was just diagnosed with an in-situ melanoma last week. I had heard that it was uncommon to have multiple primaries, so this helped answer quite a few of my questions. A big thank you to Janner for your information! (Like you, this primary did not fit any text book description except that it had changed into a scab!)

Thank you again!

CLPrice31
                        Participant

I am so thankful one of my Twitter friends directed me to this question. I was diagnosed with stage III in January 2011, and was just diagnosed with an in-situ melanoma last week. I had heard that it was uncommon to have multiple primaries, so this helped answer quite a few of my questions. A big thank you to Janner for your information! (Like you, this primary did not fit any text book description except that it had changed into a scab!)

Thank you again!

CLPrice31
                          Participant

Thank you again!

Janner
                            Participant

My second and third primary didn't fit any text book description except CHANGE.  That's why I'm always harping that I think it is the most important factor.   My first was classic.  But CHANGE to me seems to encompass all the factors best.

Sorry to hear you've had more, but it really sounds like you are on top of everything.

yes

Janner
                              Participant

yes

Bobman
                                Participant

Thanks Janner.

I was hoping you would chime in , and I feel loads better with what you said. I am in the progress of  doing some body photography to help monitor things. I have a pretty good  idea now of what to look out for , after dozens of biopsies, and five wle's. The last three I found had changed pretty fast, so I reacted accordingly. Interestingly enough, none of my melanoma's have had the "text book" look to them. But they change enough for my internal sirens to sound off.

Aloha,

Bob

Bobman
                                  Participant

Thanks Janner.

Aloha,

Bob

Janner
                                  Participant

How unusual?  Certainly in the lower percentages.  Since about <10% have more than one primary and most of those with more than one might have only two, you can see you're getting even lower in the odds. But I've know people with quite a few more than you have so you're not in any record breaking mode yet. Can you expect more?  Maybe.  It might be that now you know, you've caught the worst of the buggers and things will slow down.  A different risk factor for progression?  No.  Each primary is independent.  A study out of Australia showed people with multiple primaries actually had better survival statistics than those with one primary.   I found my three primaries and rely upon my eyes and gut feeling more than any doctor.   Do you use any type of body photography to help monitor things for change?  Truthfully, that's about the best you can do along with your own already proven plan.

Hopefully, the chat room will be up and running soon and you can vent away with the rest of us!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics