The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rough week for me as a caregiver

Forums Caregiver Community Rough week for me as a caregiver

Participant

Well, I had a rough week taking care of dad. He is not wanting to cooperate when it comes to doing exercises, drinking fluids, etc, and just gets angry at me when I try to remind him of anything. But he is so forgetful – he has to have someone say it's time for meds or whatever – and I just had to decide to only remind about things ONE time, and if he doesn't want to participate in his care, then there is really no use letting him argue with me about it. He also was really rude to his physical therapist at the second session Friday, to the point where she had to talk with me about it off to the side. We had to go to a funeral earlier in the week for a very elderly relative, too, so I am sure thinking about mortality, losing independence, etc, adds up, but it is really hard to turn the other cheek or pretend it doesn't hurt when it feels intentionally rude.
      Then after getting home from the miserable PT appt, I find my cat, who was DX with feline lymphoma cancer about 4 weeks ago, is not breathing right. The vet office is closing, and it sounds like she has forced exhalations, maybe fluid in the lungs from chest tumors, but who knows. Has not eaten well for a few days, but has eaten some. Mostly super pureed baby food meats, but I notice she isn't drinking much water anymore (had been on prednisone in addition to other chemo).
      Hubby and I go out for some "us" time that evening, and when we come home the poor cat is even worse. She could walk and sat with us a few minutes on the couch, but fell out of my arms when I took her to her bed – she seemed really tired. I dreamt that night she has died, then woke early to take her to vet on Sat AM. She was laying oddly, with her legs out in every direction. Doesn't fuss to be laid in the carrier.
      Once in waiting room, I wrapped her in a towel to keep her warm and try to comfort her, pet her, tell nice stories about her. DR isn't there yet so we are all just waiting. Some other folks talk with me, seeing how pathetic she is. They probably saw what I didn't; she was dying right there. She convulsed three times in a span of about 15 minutes, pawing rapidly and locking her arms straight out, panicked looking, unable to support her head. then breathing gradually stopped and her eyes glazed over, pupils enlarged. I couldn't believe it happened so abruptly. I took her to the exam room with an employee to check her heart, about the time DR came in to confirm.
      At the time it happened so quickly, I didn't have time to process it al, but the rest of the day and today have been hard, remembering her throws of death, her sad meow, the lolling head, glazed eyes and even the tongue stuck out, the smell of elimination and death.
      I realize this isn't a person, you all have seen worse, but I only hope I learned all this so I will handle the inevitable better down the road. I hope I can forget the bad days with dad, I can just feel compassion and sorrow and not feel like I am a source of resentment or whatever makes him so bitter. I feel like I am the scapegoat for him being mad he has cancer. He doesn't talk about feelings at all, he refuses, he doesn't need to, he just acts ugly to me. I wish so bad that bitterness would go away and we could have some more happy moments in this terrible part of life. It is really hard caring for someone who seems to reject you.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        shellebrownies
        Participant

You poor dear… I totally feel your pain. What a terrible, horrible week for you! 

I know how it feels to not have the person you are caring for take part in their own care. (Speaking in past tense not because he's gone, but discussing him from before his brain tumors affected him) My husband was extremely frustrating when it came to things like eating and drinking. He was never hungry, and even though I nagged at him about how important it was or he could die of malnutrition, he still wouldn't eat or drink enough. He also wouldn't brush his teeth or shower on a regular basis and not change his clothes daily unless I made him. Drove me nuts!

I wonder if your father's case could be depression rearing its ugly head? Is he taking anything for depression/mood? Because if not, it might be time to have him evaluated. 

That being said, you should not have to put up with being abused in that way. If he refuses to talk about his feelings, perhaps it is time to talk about yours: that he is driving away his own daughter in a time when family and loved ones  should be pulling together and leaning on each other. Perhaps that might wake him up to the pain he is causing to someone he loves.

Best of luck, dearfoam. Write me any time if you want to commiserate or vent. 

Michelle, wife of Don

dearfoam
            Participant

Has been on Lexapro since late July. Just about all of his symptoms had been getting better through August, but since the swelling about three weeks ago, he has not gotten back to that "norm." Unfortunately, he has a lifelong hisotry of being bad with relationships and emotions, so I can't blame it all on the brain tumors. Of course his ex's include my mom, and she has a lot of sympathy, but having left nearly thirty years ago still recognizes that traits of how he's been.

I may take you up on talking sometime.

dearfoam
              Participant

Has been on Lexapro since late July. Just about all of his symptoms had been getting better through August, but since the swelling about three weeks ago, he has not gotten back to that "norm." Unfortunately, he has a lifelong hisotry of being bad with relationships and emotions, so I can't blame it all on the brain tumors. Of course his ex's include my mom, and she has a lot of sympathy, but having left nearly thirty years ago still recognizes that traits of how he's been.

dearfoam
                Participant

shellebrownies
                Participant

You poor dear… I totally feel your pain. What a terrible, horrible week for you! 

I know how it feels to not have the person you are caring for take part in their own care. (Speaking in past tense not because he's gone, but discussing him from before his brain tumors affected him) My husband was extremely frustrating when it came to things like eating and drinking. He was never hungry, and even though I nagged at him about how important it was or he could die of malnutrition, he still wouldn't eat or drink enough. He also wouldn't brush his teeth or shower on a regular basis and not change his clothes daily unless I made him. Drove me nuts!

I wonder if your father's case could be depression rearing its ugly head? Is he taking anything for depression/mood? Because if not, it might be time to have him evaluated. 

That being said, you should not have to put up with being abused in that way. If he refuses to talk about his feelings, perhaps it is time to talk about yours: that he is driving away his own daughter in a time when family and loved ones  should be pulling together and leaning on each other. Perhaps that might wake him up to the pain he is causing to someone he loves.

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                  Participant

Michelle, wife of Don

lhaley
                    Participant

As I've told you before I was the caretaker for my mom with brain mets and now I'm in the opposite position where my husband is my caretaker for the brain met.  At least 1 time a day he says that he is not arguing me today, and I'm not telling him I'm wrong.   (personally, I don't think I'm wrong, he just has 38 years of us always have different points – lol)

The ablilty for your father to agree, participate, or be helpful could be impossible at this point.  Watched my mom's personality slowly changed but yet we also still had some good moments.  My brother and I were at odds with many of our agreements plus so many other things.  We did have a last discussion (such a wrong mistake to have ever done) instead of my mom's room.   She sat up, got all of her strength and told us both off.   Wow, did mom teach me.   By the way, that's on my list today to call my brother. We never did get over the discussion, today we will make up from 10 years ago.  At least I will do my part. 

Mom would totally be confused and then she would fall. Sometimes she would then just all of a sudden gain her understanding for a few days.   She would forget how to walk, and then the next morning she would just be walking and forgetting that she didn't know how to the day before.

You also have to take care of yourself during this time.  Talk to a local social worker to get some help for you.  Give yourself a few hours a day that you can have time to emotionally away from your dad.  It's not him acting ugly to you, the cancer is eating him.

Right now,  life is a bitch. Hang onto the good parts.

Linda

shellebrownies
                        Participant

Geez, I forgot/didn't realize that your dad had brain mets, DF. Well, then my earlier advice would not really apply. I am very new at the "caring for a person with brain mets" thing, so Linda would be a great resource. I really agree with her. Do you have help at home? People who can be with him while you clear your head? 

Offer still stands, though, if you would like to vent/commiserate with me. Anytime. 

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                          Participant

Geez, I forgot/didn't realize that your dad had brain mets, DF. Well, then my earlier advice would not really apply. I am very new at the "caring for a person with brain mets" thing, so Linda would be a great resource. I really agree with her. Do you have help at home? People who can be with him while you clear your head? 

Offer still stands, though, if you would like to vent/commiserate with me. Anytime. 

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                            Participant

Michelle, wife of Don

dearfoam
                              Participant

Linda, I hope you and your brother do get a good conversation. I have a hard time with my sister, too.

I think you may be right, it may be impossible to expect him to remember how he is doing. He just has this way of acting like he is 100% aware of everything good and bad, and I just know it's not so. He doesn't notice the evidence of things not going well, and denies things if brought up. I'm not trying to humiliate him or anything, but just simple things like this is how to do the exercises, let's get you some clean clothes, the talk about the medical alert button due to fall risk issues, gee i think all the diarrhea is from not following the instructions with the meds, etc. I'm just trying to look out for him, but it's all too offensive. He is also a lawyer and "naturally" likes to disagree, no matter how obvious something is.

I had some sitters coming out more in the summer time, when he was a lot weaker. It was hard to make myself a routine, though. I have some friends and family who pitch in some, too. I think we may have to get sitters again, though. I normally would work from home but am too distracted to do much anymore. I also had the cat living in my studio, and now we cleared her things out maybe I can immerse myself in something more productive and pleasurable. I have FIL coming to take care of him Wed so I can make a little day trip, part business, part fun (hopefully).

Thanks for letting me vent!

-DF

dearfoam
                                Participant

Linda, I hope you and your brother do get a good conversation. I have a hard time with my sister, too.

I think you may be right, it may be impossible to expect him to remember how he is doing. He just has this way of acting like he is 100% aware of everything good and bad, and I just know it's not so. He doesn't notice the evidence of things not going well, and denies things if brought up. I'm not trying to humiliate him or anything, but just simple things like this is how to do the exercises, let's get you some clean clothes, the talk about the medical alert button due to fall risk issues, gee i think all the diarrhea is from not following the instructions with the meds, etc. I'm just trying to look out for him, but it's all too offensive. He is also a lawyer and "naturally" likes to disagree, no matter how obvious something is.

I had some sitters coming out more in the summer time, when he was a lot weaker. It was hard to make myself a routine, though. I have some friends and family who pitch in some, too. I think we may have to get sitters again, though. I normally would work from home but am too distracted to do much anymore. I also had the cat living in my studio, and now we cleared her things out maybe I can immerse myself in something more productive and pleasurable. I have FIL coming to take care of him Wed so I can make a little day trip, part business, part fun (hopefully).

-DF

dearfoam
                                  Participant

-DF

lhaley
                                  Participant

As I've told you before I was the caretaker for my mom with brain mets and now I'm in the opposite position where my husband is my caretaker for the brain met.  At least 1 time a day he says that he is not arguing me today, and I'm not telling him I'm wrong.   (personally, I don't think I'm wrong, he just has 38 years of us always have different points – lol)

The ablilty for your father to agree, participate, or be helpful could be impossible at this point.  Watched my mom's personality slowly changed but yet we also still had some good moments.  My brother and I were at odds with many of our agreements plus so many other things.  We did have a last discussion (such a wrong mistake to have ever done) instead of my mom's room.   She sat up, got all of her strength and told us both off.   Wow, did mom teach me.   By the way, that's on my list today to call my brother. We never did get over the discussion, today we will make up from 10 years ago.  At least I will do my part. 

Mom would totally be confused and then she would fall. Sometimes she would then just all of a sudden gain her understanding for a few days.   She would forget how to walk, and then the next morning she would just be walking and forgetting that she didn't know how to the day before.

You also have to take care of yourself during this time.  Talk to a local social worker to get some help for you.  Give yourself a few hours a day that you can have time to emotionally away from your dad.  It's not him acting ugly to you, the cancer is eating him.

Linda

lhaley
                                    Participant

Linda

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

Dearfoam, I am sorry to read about the rough week that you have had. I have reread your dad's treatment history, and it sounds like he has been through a lot. At the moment, I am concerned about the location and size of his tumours. Has he had a PET scan lately?

I feel that there are medical reasons for the way he has been acting. For example, tumours in the liver or brain can affect one's behaviour. The recent WBR treatment could also has adverse effects. In addition, some people have long-term side effects from chemo (Temodar) such as poor appetite, nausea, and physical weakness.

Are you able to get someone to help you to care for your dad? I would think that his doctor or his staff could give you information about the services that may be available to caregivers in your area.

Take care

Frank from Australia

dearfoam
                                          Participant

Frank,

I really ought to update the treatment history. So much has been looming I have been waiting to do it.

Last MRI was during hospital stay three weeks ago. Same size as late August, which was last MRI and CT (chest abs and pelvis) scan. He has not had a liver met, but has several lung tumors as well as a growing one on spleen (2cm) and on colon(smaller but I can't recal at moment). His brain mets had shrunk since summer, but were still on average 1-2cm each. The larger one with more swelling I think is in the more sensitive areas that cause reasoning problems and balance problems.

WBR was completed in early May, but there could be late/ lasting effects. It's so hard to differentiate the brain tumor/ swelling/ WBR/ Temodar symptoms, but I feel like if he is not slurring words and is walking, we are nto in the danger zone as he has been liek this for a while, and we see his drs very regularly (at least every 3-4 weeks). We really do have a great team here.

As I mentioned in another repy, we have had help from friends and family (my in laws), we also have had some sitter help when it was more physically necessary. I will probably be doing that again soon. I also will be setting up the medical alert monitoring soon, so we will have that as a back up. He says he will wear it even though he doesn't agree that he might need it someday.

Again, I hate to be such a baby about all this, it just sucks big time!

I do have a little vacation coming before Thanksgiving (seems so far away!!), and dad will stay with my sister and her family. I hope it doesn't backfire as they have a history of not getting along so well. 10 days!!! Fingers crossed that all goes well and the grandkids will have some fun with granddad.

dearfoam
                                            Participant

Frank,

I really ought to update the treatment history. So much has been looming I have been waiting to do it.

Last MRI was during hospital stay three weeks ago. Same size as late August, which was last MRI and CT (chest abs and pelvis) scan. He has not had a liver met, but has several lung tumors as well as a growing one on spleen (2cm) and on colon(smaller but I can't recal at moment). His brain mets had shrunk since summer, but were still on average 1-2cm each. The larger one with more swelling I think is in the more sensitive areas that cause reasoning problems and balance problems.

WBR was completed in early May, but there could be late/ lasting effects. It's so hard to differentiate the brain tumor/ swelling/ WBR/ Temodar symptoms, but I feel like if he is not slurring words and is walking, we are nto in the danger zone as he has been liek this for a while, and we see his drs very regularly (at least every 3-4 weeks). We really do have a great team here.

As I mentioned in another repy, we have had help from friends and family (my in laws), we also have had some sitter help when it was more physically necessary. I will probably be doing that again soon. I also will be setting up the medical alert monitoring soon, so we will have that as a back up. He says he will wear it even though he doesn't agree that he might need it someday.

I do have a little vacation coming before Thanksgiving (seems so far away!!), and dad will stay with my sister and her family. I hope it doesn't backfire as they have a history of not getting along so well. 10 days!!! Fingers crossed that all goes well and the grandkids will have some fun with granddad.

dearfoam
                                              Participant

Frank,

FormerCaregiver
                                              Participant

Dearfoam, I am sorry to read about the rough week that you have had. I have reread your dad's treatment history, and it sounds like he has been through a lot. At the moment, I am concerned about the location and size of his tumours. Has he had a PET scan lately?

I feel that there are medical reasons for the way he has been acting. For example, tumours in the liver or brain can affect one's behaviour. The recent WBR treatment could also has adverse effects. In addition, some people have long-term side effects from chemo (Temodar) such as poor appetite, nausea, and physical weakness.

Are you able to get someone to help you to care for your dad? I would think that his doctor or his staff could give you information about the services that may be available to caregivers in your area.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

NYKaren
                                                  Participant

Hi,

I have no other advice/suggestions to add besides what has already been written here.

I can tell you, though, that I was recently the patient–IL-2 during two weekly hospital stays, and according to my husband, I wasn't exactly a pleasure to be around!  If I hadn't been in the hospital, I'm pretty sure we would have been at each other's throats!

I hope this hopes a little!

you are in my thoughts,

Karen

dearfoam
                                                      Participant

Thank you! I feel so bad to be upset. I found a support group that meets tomorrow. Its for caregivers to seniors, hopefully I might find some other resources to help out. He is barely a senior, so is not at all interested in going to play bingo at the senior center or whatever. Maybe some other idea will come to mind!

I know we are all here for different reasons, and I wish the best for each and every one of you!

-DF

dearfoam
                                                        Participant

Thank you! I feel so bad to be upset. I found a support group that meets tomorrow. Its for caregivers to seniors, hopefully I might find some other resources to help out. He is barely a senior, so is not at all interested in going to play bingo at the senior center or whatever. Maybe some other idea will come to mind!

I know we are all here for different reasons, and I wish the best for each and every one of you!

-DF

dearfoam
                                                          Participant

-DF

NYKaren
                                                          Participant

Hi,

I have no other advice/suggestions to add besides what has already been written here.

I can tell you, though, that I was recently the patient–IL-2 during two weekly hospital stays, and according to my husband, I wasn't exactly a pleasure to be around!  If I hadn't been in the hospital, I'm pretty sure we would have been at each other's throats!

you are in my thoughts,

Karen

NYKaren
                                                            Participant

Hi,

you are in my thoughts,

Karen

MariaH
                                                              Participant

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.  Being a pet owner, I know how difficult it is.  I can also relate to the bitterness/bad feeling with your dad.  My brother Mikey (stage IV peritoneal cancer) is at home with hospice right now, and VERY angry at everything.  It is difficult to spend time with him now because of what the cancer is doing to him mentally.  He has a tendency to blame us and not want us around.  However, he'll call you two hours later and ask to see you.  We follow his lead, knowing that this is the cancer causing the mood swings, and not Mikey.  I believe that in the end, we will remember him as he was.

Sending hugs to you – I know what it's like.

Maria

dearfoam
                                                                  Participant

Thank you, it was a terrible weekend, but I am feeling better today. (And thankfully the dogs have not messed with the cat's grave.)

-DF

dearfoam
                                                                    Participant

Thank you, it was a terrible weekend, but I am feeling better today. (And thankfully the dogs have not messed with the cat's grave.)

-DF

dearfoam
                                                                      Participant

-DF

MariaH
                                                                      Participant

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat.  Being a pet owner, I know how difficult it is.  I can also relate to the bitterness/bad feeling with your dad.  My brother Mikey (stage IV peritoneal cancer) is at home with hospice right now, and VERY angry at everything.  It is difficult to spend time with him now because of what the cancer is doing to him mentally.  He has a tendency to blame us and not want us around.  However, he'll call you two hours later and ask to see you.  We follow his lead, knowing that this is the cancer causing the mood swings, and not Mikey.  I believe that in the end, we will remember him as he was.

Maria

MariaH
                                                                        Participant

Maria

boot2aboot
                                                                          Participant

i never understood why humans are rated over all other living beings…

losing a friend, even if it is your animal friend is traumatic…as traumatic as any other loss..

to witness the death is even more traumatic…

i am sorry for your loss.

boots

boot2aboot
                                                                            Participant

losing a friend, even if it is your animal friend is traumatic…as traumatic as any other loss..

boots

dearfoam
                                                                                Participant

Thank you.

dearfoam
                                                                                  Participant

Thank you.

dearfoam
                                                                                    Participant

Thank you.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                      Participant

it took our10 yr old Boston Terrier 3 months to quit lying around the house mooping when her 15 3/4 yr  old boyfriend (1/2 pit bull died last year.  i still miss him greatly.  i will also mmiss our oldest cat who died while we are away this trip.  At least he died i the arms of a lady that was taking care of our animals while we are gone.  The house won't be quite the same now.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                        Participant

it took our10 yr old Boston Terrier 3 months to quit lying around the house mooping when her 15 3/4 yr  old boyfriend (1/2 pit bull died last year.  i still miss him greatly.  i will also mmiss our oldest cat who died while we are away this trip.  At least he died i the arms of a lady that was taking care of our animals while we are gone.  The house won't be quite the same now.

dearfoam
                                                                                          Participant

Our dogs are taking it well – I think they mostly miss her food bowl. Our other cat disappeared (presumably to die in hiding) while sick in late 2008 (we never did find him). She was used to being the only cat, but still kept to herself a lot. It is definitely different to me around the house, but after dosing her every day for a month, it is a relief this week to have one less worry. Of course she was nicer than dad or his geriatric dog that I also care for! ๐Ÿ™‚

dearfoam
                                                                                            Participant

Our dogs are taking it well – I think they mostly miss her food bowl. Our other cat disappeared (presumably to die in hiding) while sick in late 2008 (we never did find him). She was used to being the only cat, but still kept to herself a lot. It is definitely different to me around the house, but after dosing her every day for a month, it is a relief this week to have one less worry. Of course she was nicer than dad or his geriatric dog that I also care for! ๐Ÿ™‚

dearfoam
                                                                                              Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                Participant

boot2aboot
                                                                                                Participant

boots

Viewing 17 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics