The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rotting Bananas?

Forums General Melanoma Community Rotting Bananas?

Participant

You can use them to make 1- ingredient  ICE CREAM ! Summer is coming and it's a perfect sub for fatty ice treats.

You can use them to make 1- ingredient  ICE CREAM ! Summer is coming and it's a perfect sub for fatty ice treats.

There is a machine out there to do it ( the Yonana—$49.99 plus 19.99 S&H)…but you can use your blender or food processor.  Take your spotted bananas and cut in chunks…pop in freezer ziplock and freeze overnight. Remove from freezer and let stand 5 min. Pop in blender/processor and whirl ( depends on the strength of your blender…you may have to push down the mix a few times). You will go through the crumbly phase…but a few minutes longer you will have a creamy ice cream treat!

To make it go a bit faster …you can add a bit of cold water when you add bananas ( not too much) . You can make other flavors…add  other frozen fruit , vanilla or honey… even chocolate syrup…but you must start with frozen bananas.( they make the ice cream).  I used 5 bananas for 3 people and we have more than enough.

p.s.  If you use under-ripe bananas ( yellow) it will be a bit bitter…if you use really soft and completely brown rotten bananas it will be too mushy and too brown. I cut the really brown parts off before freezing.  YUM and low cal ice cream ( just the fruit calories).

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

I freeze my bananas before they actually ROT, right about the time I see they are not going to be eaten before they DO rot.

I slice them and freeze them in ziplocs, and use them in protein shakes

lhaley
            Participant

Frozen chocolate covered bananas …. yummmmm  .  Oh you guys were talking healthy.  Does sound like a good healthy treat!

lhaley
              Participant

Frozen chocolate covered bananas …. yummmmm  .  Oh you guys were talking healthy.  Does sound like a good healthy treat!

dian in spokane
              Participant

I freeze my bananas before they actually ROT, right about the time I see they are not going to be eaten before they DO rot.

I slice them and freeze them in ziplocs, and use them in protein shakes

Kimmer
                Participant

What's a banana?

Ha, I get teased all of the time for being a vegetarian and not liking fruit.  Never touch the stuff.  Does that make me a freak?  I think so.

I don't like ice cream either.  Maybe Menchies Tres Leches frozen yogurt.

Ugh.  I should never have a weight problem, but I watch every calorie.  Must be the dairy stuff like cheese.

Oh and the beer.

This does sound like a great treat tho, Rox.  Hubs eats all kinds of fruit, so I will share this with him.  He loves bananas after a run or bike ride because of the potassium.

Y'all take good care,

k.

dian in spokane
                    Participant

well.. not eating fruit doesn't make you a freak, but not eating ice cream? that's just… not right

dian in spokane
                      Participant

well.. not eating fruit doesn't make you a freak, but not eating ice cream? that's just… not right

Kimmer
                      Participant

What's a banana?

Ha, I get teased all of the time for being a vegetarian and not liking fruit.  Never touch the stuff.  Does that make me a freak?  I think so.

I don't like ice cream either.  Maybe Menchies Tres Leches frozen yogurt.

Ugh.  I should never have a weight problem, but I watch every calorie.  Must be the dairy stuff like cheese.

Oh and the beer.

This does sound like a great treat tho, Rox.  Hubs eats all kinds of fruit, so I will share this with him.  He loves bananas after a run or bike ride because of the potassium.

Y'all take good care,

k.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics