The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rising LDH Levels

Forums General Melanoma Community Rising LDH Levels

Participant
      Hello – Stage IV here and have completed four Opdivo/Yervoy treatments.

Just wondering if rising LDH levels are anything to be concerned about? I started in the normal realm of LDH when I was diagnosed, but my last labs shot up from 218 to 369. I’m reading that this may indicate further metastasis, but am unsure. Can any experts weigh in, please?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant
          Sorry to hear that you’re in this situation. While this can indicate further metastasis, there are other things that can cause elevated LDH levels, such as strenuous exercise and muscle injury. Results can also vary, depending on which lab did the testing. Your doctor will be able to provide a better answer for you than I can.
          TarlieT
          Participant
            I echo Linny…it is so tough to be going through this.

I am not an expert, but I am also Stage IV and was receiving combination therapy up until recently. During that time, I asked my oncologist (Dr. Wolchok at Sloan Kettering) this same question, and he said that during ipi/nivo he doesn’t pay much attention to LDH because it’s nonspecific. In my case, for example, my liver got quite inflamed, and he thought that my rising LDH levels were likely due to that. That’s what I understood, at least. Maybe the combo has triggered some inflammation for you as well, and the LDH is reflecting that? My fingers are crossed for you.

Lucas
            Participant
              My LDH also spiked at the end of the combo to about the same number.. I was also concerned, but turned out to be liver inflammation. It came down soon after.
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics