The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Results and a plan… sort of

Forums General Melanoma Community Results and a plan… sort of

Participant
      Dear Melahomies!

I have news! The hilar thing is benign funk. No Mel, no Larry! But in the process of doing all the CT scans for the Hilar thing, we found a new lesion on my spine (T10). So I’ve been at the hospital all day today doing the prep work for radiation. Yes, we’ll zap this sucker 5 times. and it will be done with. I figure this is a good trade-off — treating the hilar thing would have been messy. Now we’ll just keep watching it.

On another note, I’m getting more and more tumors popping up on my arm. Some are good sized (bigger than a grape) but most are small (pea-sized) but I”ve just about lost count of them. RS Doc says we have come to the end of chasing them with surgery. There are just too many. So we need a Mel plan that won’t interfere with the Larry plan. We were talking Pembro or maybe the combo treatment. I was a partial responder when I first had ippi and pembro and I know that there’s evidence that rechallenging Mel with Ippi and/or Pembro isn’t a bad thing. We’re just not sure what it’s going to do to the Larry gameplan. Ippi and Pembro and a TKI Chemo? I’m also Braf + and maybe that will do the trick, but no matter what I have a feeling I”m going to be my own clinical study (N=1). We’ll have to give it a cool name. So I’ve really digressed.

So this is where it’s at. It’s always good to see how my MPIP Peeps are doing!

Wishing you peace, SHalom!
      Julie in SoCal

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        gopher38
        Participant
          Hello Julie,

Dumb question, but regarding the arm tumors, isn’t that the type of situation where interlesionals are a strong option? Asking mostly to improve my understanding of the topic. Anyway, good news about the hilar thing. I think benign is my new favorite word. I hope none of this interferes with the camping plans.

Warren

Julie in SoCal
            Participant
              Hey Warren,

Not a dumb question at all! Yes, intralesionals are a strong option for the arm funk. I’ve done T-VEC in the past and got really, really, really, bad side effects (herpes all up my arm). But my Rock Star doc and I have talked a little about PV-10 for the bigger tumors. So this is a strong possibility.

Thanks for the reminder!
              Shalom!
              Julie

Mark_DC
              Participant
                Hi Julie,

The hilar thing is good news – sorry about the spine but it seems that one you can get rid of more easily, so seems like a good trade.
                I am not braf positive but if you are then why not use that treatment taf mek etc? Couldnt you have done this before too? Tends to be quicker acting i believe?
                On intralesionals, you know i am a fan – it seems to have worked for me but it turned out it did not work out for others in my hospital i think because their tumour burden much higher. So check if yours are still manageable with intralesional ( in my case combined w pembro, the tvec got the pembro finally to work, for you maybe pv10 or you just got unlucky with the tvec sample you used before?)

Celeste and others are much more expert but i would think about using a braf targeted therapy to bring things under control and then back on to ipi nivo or maybe intralesional plus pembro or nivo
                Am glad you had some good news and once the radiation done hope you and rock star can get the plan going very soon
                Best wishes mark

Bubbles
              Participant
                Oh, Julie!! So happy that the hilar junk is “just” funk!!! So sorry that you are dealing with more cutaneous lesions and the lesion on your spine. You are most certainly your own study ~ deserving of a cool name indeed!! You may have talked with Rock Star already…..but is isolated limb perfusion anything that might be helpful? It wouldn’t have too many systemic effects (theoretically). Anyhow, hang in there with the radiation and do keep us posted. Holding you in my heart my friend!! Much love, les
                DoubleTT
                Participant
                  Hello Julie
                  DoubleTT…Tracey from Toronto Canada. I just finished Adjuvant Nivo on is own 2 weeks ago. Took it every 14 days for a year. I received it 4 weeks after my docs at (Princess Margaret Cancer Centre) blew up a met I had to my T12. Sounds the same as yours. They called it stereostatic radiation surgery. They gave me 2 massive doses. Not 5. I am NRAS so its aggressive. Be prepared friend and ask up front for the pain killers!!! Dont agree to Lyrica. You’ll want it but other peeps I talked to told me to work thru the pain with a good pain killer instead. You do get damaged nerves…so some docs get you on Lyrica but it has tons of side effects. So I opted for something else, ate very very light meals and small ones as much as I could . That T10 and 12 area is the same spot as where our tummies are located. So it needs tender care during the sessions. I was told the Nivo right after the radiation settled down would be adjuvant, as there is awesome evidence Nivo goes to work even stronger throughout the body once you get zapped (sorry). The radiation speeds up Nivo’s operation. So maybe your docs can pick the right combos plus Nivo right after your zapping sessions are done and you feel strong to start. The new results showing up in research are phenomenal!! You’ve got this. PS. get the anti nauseant meds going a good two to 3 hours before your sessions. The tummy gets grumpy! My poor driver (mom) had to pull over many times on the way home …lol we try to see the humour in the crap we deal with while being grateful. Tracey
                    Julie in SoCal
                    Participant
                      Thank you Tracy for the insight. I was told to expect the tummy troubles (and the lung cancer chemo give me issues already), but I hadn’t anticipated nerve pain. Sounds like a good discussion with my doc is in order. THANKS!

Shalom,
                      Julie

DoubleTT
                    Participant
                      So Julie… what’s happening??? tt Tracey
                  Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics