The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Response time for Temodar?

Forums General Melanoma Community Response time for Temodar?

Participant

So, Dave had his first checkup yesterday while on the Temodar.  No scans until 12/22, just a physical with bloodwork.  He's feeling OK, a little fatigue, but otherwise well.  He pointed out a lump he had found on Tuesday night (which he "forgot" to tell me about).  This is near his right pectoral muscle, where the bulk of his stage IV disease is.  I am worried that this may be the deep lymph node they found on the PET that had an SUV of 22.  If it is, that means that it has increased in size to the point of being palpable.  I know with other

So, Dave had his first checkup yesterday while on the Temodar.  No scans until 12/22, just a physical with bloodwork.  He's feeling OK, a little fatigue, but otherwise well.  He pointed out a lump he had found on Tuesday night (which he "forgot" to tell me about).  This is near his right pectoral muscle, where the bulk of his stage IV disease is.  I am worried that this may be the deep lymph node they found on the PET that had an SUV of 22.  If it is, that means that it has increased in size to the point of being palpable.  I know with other treatments, mets can swell before they start to shrink.  Is this true for Temodar too?  He's only been on the Temodar for 2 weeks.

I'll be honest, to actually feel it was frightening.  I'd like to think that I've stayed positive so far, but this shook me up.   Any thoughts?

Maria

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Maria, I don't have any specific info on Temodar. However, chemo generally takes 2-3
          cycles of treatment before a response can be expected (see:
          http://www.chemocare.com/whatis/how_can_we_tell_if_the_chemotherapy.asp). Therefore, the
          scans that are scheduled for 22nd December seem to line up with this timeframe.

Take care

Frank from Australia

MariaH
            Participant

Thank you for your reply Frank.  I should know by now that it does take time, but I am worried it's not working at all or that his mel is growing super fast now.

Just needed some reassurance. 🙂

MariaH
              Participant

Thank you for your reply Frank.  I should know by now that it does take time, but I am worried it's not working at all or that his mel is growing super fast now.

MariaH
                Participant

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Maria, I don't have any specific info on Temodar. However, chemo generally takes 2-3
                  http://www.chemocare.com/whatis/how_can_we_tell_if_the_chemotherapy.asp). Therefore, the

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

LynnLuc
                    Participant

I was on Temodar but only for 5 days every 28 days. The oncologist said it probably wouldn't shrink it, but just keep it from spreading. Not sure what you were told. Mine didn't start growing on Temodar until 5 -6 months. Its a very temporary drug because Melanoma usually finds away around it.- Lynn

LynnLuc
                      Participant

I was on Temodar but only for 5 days every 28 days. The oncologist said it probably wouldn't shrink it, but just keep it from spreading. Not sure what you were told. Mine didn't start growing on Temodar until 5 -6 months. Its a very temporary drug because Melanoma usually finds away around it.- Lynn

LynnLuc
                        Participant

LynnLuc
                          Participant

LynnLuc
                            Participant

LynnLuc
                              Participant

MariaH
                                  Participant

Hi Lynn,

We were told that studies showed Temodar worked well after IL-2, and that the response was seen after the first round of treatment.   We also know, like you, that it's temporary, and we were hoping to just shrink them enough to get him started on Yervoy or a clinical trial once he is weaned off the steroids.

The scary part was actually feeling the tumor.  Because he really is feeling well, this is the first outward sign that he has any disease at all.

I'm hoping, that like Yervoy, maybe it will swell then shrink.  We really want to try to get him into the clinical trial at Memorial Sloan with IPI and the anti-pd1.

Ugh.  I wish they could just cut it out.

MariaH
                                    Participant

Hi Lynn,

We were told that studies showed Temodar worked well after IL-2, and that the response was seen after the first round of treatment.   We also know, like you, that it's temporary, and we were hoping to just shrink them enough to get him started on Yervoy or a clinical trial once he is weaned off the steroids.

The scary part was actually feeling the tumor.  Because he really is feeling well, this is the first outward sign that he has any disease at all.

I'm hoping, that like Yervoy, maybe it will swell then shrink.  We really want to try to get him into the clinical trial at Memorial Sloan with IPI and the anti-pd1.

MariaH
                                      Participant

Hi Lynn,

LynnLuc
                                        Participant

MIne was in the media steinem and they said it was too dangerous to do surgery, but about 9 months later they agreed to it. Why can't he have surgery? I had Dr Kaur ( I think that's how you spell the name) and My Surgeon was Dr Shen at Mayo. I think most people with melanoma don't look like they "have cancer". I think because everyone who used to do treatment  had the hard core chemo that caused them to lose their hair, their fingernails, their weight and look like walking dead people. When I was at my worse even a nurse told me you would never know   and the  scan guy at the NIH told me he would have never known I had cancer.

LynnLuc
                                          Participant

PS you have to keep telling them you want surgery  and be persistent.It's his life and he shold be the one to decide what he wants to do. They told me it wouldn't help…wellobviously debilking did something because I became NED that day and have stayed that way and March  26 will be 2 years.Thats a whole lot better then their prognosis of 6- 9 months back in 09. I am not saying surgery alone was what  brought me this far, but by removing it and then getting immunotherapy it made the job easier….

LynnLuc
                                            Participant

PS PS   The radiation shold shrink it by 1/3 at least…the Temodar given with radiation is thought to make Melanoma more receptiove to radiation.  My Radiation Onc said he has even seen it turn to "dust" and vanish….although mine didn't It did shrink by over 1/3 initially.

MariaH
                                              Participant

Thanks for your replies Lynn.  I'm really thinking that Dave is not happy with his oncologist anymore, and Dave may want to switch.  We heard from both our onc and NIH that the nodes are too bulky to be removed, although NIH told him they could if they HAD to.  Talk about confusing…

We will wait and see how the December scans look, then go from there.

MariaH
                                                Participant

Thanks for your replies Lynn.  I'm really thinking that Dave is not happy with his oncologist anymore, and Dave may want to switch.  We heard from both our onc and NIH that the nodes are too bulky to be removed, although NIH told him they could if they HAD to.  Talk about confusing…

MariaH
                                                  Participant

LynnLuc
                                                    Participant

PS PS   The radiation shold shrink it by 1/3 at least…the Temodar given with radiation is thought to make Melanoma more receptiove to radiation.  My Radiation Onc said he has even seen it turn to "dust" and vanish….although mine didn't It did shrink by over 1/3 initially.

LynnLuc
                                                      Participant

LynnLuc
                                                        Participant

PS you have to keep telling them you want surgery  and be persistent.It's his life and he shold be the one to decide what he wants to do. They told me it wouldn't help…wellobviously debilking did something because I became NED that day and have stayed that way and March  26 will be 2 years.Thats a whole lot better then their prognosis of 6- 9 months back in 09. I am not saying surgery alone was what  brought me this far, but by removing it and then getting immunotherapy it made the job easier….

LynnLuc
                                                          Participant

LynnLuc
                                                            Participant

MIne was in the media steinem and they said it was too dangerous to do surgery, but about 9 months later they agreed to it. Why can't he have surgery? I had Dr Kaur ( I think that's how you spell the name) and My Surgeon was Dr Shen at Mayo. I think most people with melanoma don't look like they "have cancer". I think because everyone who used to do treatment  had the hard core chemo that caused them to lose their hair, their fingernails, their weight and look like walking dead people. When I was at my worse even a nurse told me you would never know   and the  scan guy at the NIH told me he would have never known I had cancer.

LynnLuc
                                                              Participant

NancyGM
                                                              Participant

Maria, I did Temodar in 2007 and have been NED for four years now. I was scanned every 3 months and I showed more shrinkage on each scan. I had no major side effects. I did 10 rounds over 11 months. If my blood counts were too low, we waited a few more weeks before starting the next cycle. Sometimes, patients do have a full and durable response to this drug even if the stats don't sound too promising. Best of luck to Dave and feel free to e-mail me, Maria if you have any questions.

NancyGM
                                                                Participant

Maria, I did Temodar in 2007 and have been NED for four years now. I was scanned every 3 months and I showed more shrinkage on each scan. I had no major side effects. I did 10 rounds over 11 months. If my blood counts were too low, we waited a few more weeks before starting the next cycle. Sometimes, patients do have a full and durable response to this drug even if the stats don't sound too promising. Best of luck to Dave and feel free to e-mail me, Maria if you have any questions.

NancyGM
                                                                  Participant

MariaH
                                                                      Participant

Thank you so much for posting Nancy.  It is so good to hear about success stories like yours.  Given the fact that at the time he started Temodar, Yervoy was not an option, we felt as though this was his only hope.  It's nice to know that people out there have had success with it.

MariaH
                                                                        Participant

Thank you so much for posting Nancy.  It is so good to hear about success stories like yours.  Given the fact that at the time he started Temodar, Yervoy was not an option, we felt as though this was his only hope.  It's nice to know that people out there have had success with it.

MariaH
                                                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics