The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Report on Braf/MEK Trial – Good Result, Bad Rash

Forums General Melanoma Community Report on Braf/MEK Trial – Good Result, Bad Rash

Participant
      Some of you may recall that I posted a number of weeks ago about my fight to get Kaiser to approve my participation in the Roche Braf/MEK trial.starts successful and started the trial almost three weeks ago. I Developed a rash last week, seen by the trial ONC who thought it was a MEK rash. Over the weekend rash got much worse, extending over most of my body. My legs now have big blotches on them where the rash has consolidated into patches and the rash is now on the mucous tissue of my mouth which is very painful.

Some of you may recall that I posted a number of weeks ago about my fight to get Kaiser to approve my participation in the Roche Braf/MEK trial.starts successful and started the trial almost three weeks ago. I Developed a rash last week, seen by the trial ONC who thought it was a MEK rash. Over the weekend rash got much worse, extending over most of my body. My legs now have big blotches on them where the rash has consolidated into patches and the rash is now on the mucous tissue of my mouth which is very painful. Of course my doctor is at the ASCO meetings, the on call oncologist prescribed some lidocaine mouthwash. I am pretty freaked out that I will be kicked off the trial, I see my regular ONC on Thursday.

Anyone else in a MEK trial that has had such an extensive rash? If so, what was done about it? I get a week off MEK starting on Thursday. Hoping the drug holiday will give my body time to adjust.

The good news is that earlier in the week I had a PET scan and the SUV of my tumor on my right adrenal went from 8.4 to 3.2! Also was having joint pain and fever/chills that have stopped!

Eileen L

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        kylez
        Participant

Eileen, the almost-all-over skin rash sounds scary. I know it would freak me out, it almost sounds like medieval torture. I hope you get some relief very soon.

But the size reduction sounds great, as in GREAT, especially in such a short time. Hoping for continued good vectors on this from your oncs…

– Kyle

Eileen L
            Participant
              Thx Kyle for your support. Just to clarify it was the SUV that went down, not the size of the tumor.
              Eileen L
              kylez
              Participant
                I see now, SUV is new terminology to me. I hope your skin rash is not getting any worse, and you get to Thurs. and get to the MEK break ok.
                kylez
                Participant
                  I see now, SUV is new terminology to me. I hope your skin rash is not getting any worse, and you get to Thurs. and get to the MEK break ok.
                  kylez
                  Participant
                    Eileen L
                    Participant
                      Thx Kyle for your support. Just to clarify it was the SUV that went down, not the size of the tumor.
                      Eileen L
                      Eileen L
                      Participant
                        Eileen L
                      kylez
                      Participant

Eileen, the almost-all-over skin rash sounds scary. I know it would freak me out, it almost sounds like medieval torture. I hope you get some relief very soon.

But the size reduction sounds great, as in GREAT, especially in such a short time. Hoping for continued good vectors on this from your oncs…

– Kyle

kylez
                        Participant

– Kyle

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics