The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Repeat SNB & Local Recurrence

Forums General Melanoma Community Repeat SNB & Local Recurrence

Participant

Has anyone ever had a repeat SNB? I am asking this for a friend who first had a stage 1b melanoma removed from the ankle area. A WLE was performed and path report showed clear margins. The SNB was clean. The patient is now stage III due to a local recurrence a few months later that was very close to the original lesion and a repeat SNB was performed. Three nodes were removed. Two were clean and one node possibly showed some melanoma. The pathologists will not put a dx of melanoma in the path report. There is only one slide that shows approximately 30 atypical cells. They needed an additional slide to do more testing but the next slide shows no atypical cells. Based on the one slide, which no one will state definitively shows melanoma cells, the oncologist is recommending an inguinal node dissection and a clinical trial with three arms: 1-INF, 2-High dose IPI and 3-Lower dose IPI. He also told the patient that none of the nodes removed will show melanoma cells.

The patient is very uncertain about how to proceed given the fact that no one is sure melanoma is present and is wondering why a total node dissection is indicated due to the oncologist's statement that it will not show any melanoma. The patient knows the LND is big surgery and all three arms of the trial have significant side effects.

Would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with a similar experience, especially what kind of treatment was recommended. Also, did anyone participate in a vaccine trial?

Thanks!

LibbyinVA (Stage IIIb, NED since 2006)

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        LibbyinVA
        Participant

Forgot to add the patient has had CT and PET scans…both were clean.

LibbyinVA
          Participant

LibbyinVA
            Participant

momof4boys
                Participant
                  Yes, this is a big surgery and not to be taken lightly as it can cause lymphadema which is a beast all its own. Secondly, there are only two arms left in this trial. They did away with the high dose ipi due to deaths. I also had a clean pet while having a positive node due to it being microscopic.
                  momof4boys
                  Participant
                    Yes, this is a big surgery and not to be taken lightly as it can cause lymphadema which is a beast all its own. Secondly, there are only two arms left in this trial. They did away with the high dose ipi due to deaths. I also had a clean pet while having a positive node due to it being microscopic.
                    momof4boys
                    Participant
                    Momrn5
                    Participant

I am 3a. I went through an inguinal node dissection for a microscopic amount of melanoma cells in the sentinel node.  All inguinal nodes were negative.  I was in the hospital overnight. I went home with 2 Jackson Pratt drains in the left groin area.  They were in for 2 weeks.  There is a high rate of infection, but I didn't get infected thankfully.  I had a month off of work.  I have a trace amount of lymph edema in my left leg.  I wrapped it for a straight 3 weeks after the surgery and now wear a special stocking when I fly or if it looks like it's swelling a little more than usual.  I am not doing anything else but watch.  I would choose to get the dissection again, especially in your friend's spot with a reoccurrence.  Hope this was helpful.  Good Luck!  

Momrn5
                      Participant

I am 3a. I went through an inguinal node dissection for a microscopic amount of melanoma cells in the sentinel node.  All inguinal nodes were negative.  I was in the hospital overnight. I went home with 2 Jackson Pratt drains in the left groin area.  They were in for 2 weeks.  There is a high rate of infection, but I didn't get infected thankfully.  I had a month off of work.  I have a trace amount of lymph edema in my left leg.  I wrapped it for a straight 3 weeks after the surgery and now wear a special stocking when I fly or if it looks like it's swelling a little more than usual.  I am not doing anything else but watch.  I would choose to get the dissection again, especially in your friend's spot with a reoccurrence.  Hope this was helpful.  Good Luck!  

Momrn5
                        Participant

Marianne quinn
                          Participant

The ipi trial is still on. My husband is having his second infusion of 10 mg ipi tomorrow . His first went very well and he feels fine.  He got melanoma from hitting his thumb with a hammer! The wound never healed and he developed melanoma under his nail. Very rare. He had a partial amputation. He had 2 positive nodes and then a lymphendectomy . He has some lymph edema but not bad. We are happy he did not get the interferon. 

JC
                              Participant

you can get melanoma from trauma (hitting thumb with hammer)?

JC
                                Participant

Marianne quinn
                                  Participant

Very rare. Can hardly find any info about it. Let it go way too long before getting it seen. Hand surgeon recognized it right away. Not related to sun. Sometimes it occurs under the big toe after trauma. More common in blacks

Marianne quinn
                                    Participant

Very rare. Can hardly find any info about it. Let it go way too long before getting it seen. Hand surgeon recognized it right away. Not related to sun. Sometimes it occurs under the big toe after trauma. More common in blacks

Marianne quinn
                                      Participant

JC
                                        Participant

Marianne quinn
                                        Participant

The ipi trial is still on. My husband is having his second infusion of 10 mg ipi tomorrow . His first went very well and he feels fine.  He got melanoma from hitting his thumb with a hammer! The wound never healed and he developed melanoma under his nail. Very rare. He had a partial amputation. He had 2 positive nodes and then a lymphendectomy . He has some lymph edema but not bad. We are happy he did not get the interferon. 

Marianne quinn
                                          Participant

bodrum
                                            Participant

Hi Libby,

I'm having a similar experience.  My first pathalogist found 6 cells in one of my nodes after SNB. We sent it to a new lab and also sent the samples in for BRAF mutation. The new pathalogist is not saying that it's melanoma but she is also saying that she can't say that it's not.  The BRAF was  also negative for the node while my birthmark/melanoma was positive for the BRAF. From what I've read there is no loss of expression for BRAF mutation.

Maybe your friend can have the melanoma tested for BRAF and then the node tested for BRAF also to be sure it's melanoma?

bodrum
                                              Participant

Hi Libby,

I'm having a similar experience.  My first pathalogist found 6 cells in one of my nodes after SNB. We sent it to a new lab and also sent the samples in for BRAF mutation. The new pathalogist is not saying that it's melanoma but she is also saying that she can't say that it's not.  The BRAF was  also negative for the node while my birthmark/melanoma was positive for the BRAF. From what I've read there is no loss of expression for BRAF mutation.

Maybe your friend can have the melanoma tested for BRAF and then the node tested for BRAF also to be sure it's melanoma?

bodrum
                                                Participant

Hi Libby,

LibbyinVA
                                                    Participant

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Things have changed so much since I was dx'ed backmin 2005 and I am working hard to get up to speed once again. Could you explain what you mean by no loss of expression for BRAF mutation? I also do not understand how your node was BRAF negative but your birthmark/melanoma was BRAF positive. Again, thanks…Libby

LibbyinVA
                                                      Participant

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. Things have changed so much since I was dx'ed backmin 2005 and I am working hard to get up to speed once again. Could you explain what you mean by no loss of expression for BRAF mutation? I also do not understand how your node was BRAF negative but your birthmark/melanoma was BRAF positive. Again, thanks…Libby

LibbyinVA
                                                        Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                        Participant

Especially when there is almost zero chance of finding any melanoma cells.  Monitoring, yes, but they are there for a good reason.

JerryfromFauq
                                                          Participant

Especially when there is almost zero chance of finding any melanoma cells.  Monitoring, yes, but they are there for a good reason.

JerryfromFauq
                                                            Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics