The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Relief from Neuropathy

Forums General Melanoma Community Relief from Neuropathy

Participant
      I have had my 3rd infusion of Opdivo. As predicted I am very tired and have body aches. What I didn’t expect is the swelling! My legs and hands are so tight. On the top of each hand there is a small pocket of fluid that has formed. My hands actually sting and burn at night time to the extreme that I can’t sleep. I’m guessing it’s neuropathy. I see doctor next Thursday. Any suggestions for getting some relief?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        kst
        Participant

I would email the doc right away with a couple of pics to show the swelling.  Arthritic adverse events are not uncommon and the doc needs to be aware of it.  Any increased swelling, no response from doc, or other issues I would advise a trip to the ER.   

Susanne

Bubbles
          Participant

I'm not sure what you are dealing with, mary.  It seems as though you are dealing with edema (fluid that develops outside of the space it is normally supposed to occupy in our bodies) rather than neuropathy.  While edema can certainly cause pain and strange uncomfortable sensations, neuropathy is usually without any visible change in the area affected and is due to damage to the nerves.  Perhaps you were given more fluid than usual with your infusion or your body is not dealing with extra fluid as it should.  Most importantly, discuss these issues with your oncologist before your next infusions…sooner if they have not resolved currently.  But, I hope you are better now.  Celeste

bethy62
              Participant
                Mary can you tell me if you have had any lymphnodes removed or a partial or radical lymphedectomy? If you have you might be developing lymphedema. Did any of your healthcare team talk to you about lymphedema? If can develop as long as a year following surgey and can cause tingling and edema ( though not the kind from fluid intake or that responds to meds.) Neuropathy is nerve pain and it can be experienced after a surgery as nerves recover.
                bethy62
                Participant
                  Mary can you tell me if you have had any lymphnodes removed or a partial or radical lymphedectomy? If you have you might be developing lymphedema. Did any of your healthcare team talk to you about lymphedema? If can develop as long as a year following surgey and can cause tingling and edema ( though not the kind from fluid intake or that responds to meds.) Neuropathy is nerve pain and it can be experienced after a surgery as nerves recover.
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics