The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Reflections on Dian

Forums General Melanoma Community Reflections on Dian

Keymaster

I am sitting at my computer on a Sunday afternoon trying to catch up on emails and just saw a note from almost a week ago about the death of "Dian from Spokane".  I am embarrassed that I am so late in getting this news, but more than that am incredibly sad.  Charley, I saw your post–thank you for providing such a great picture of the richness of Dian's life.

Though it is late, and I knew Dian for a shorter time than Charlie and a number of others, I can't let Dian's passing go without a few reflections.

I started with the MRF in January 2009 and one of the first things I did was contact a group of active MPIP participants to seek advice and ideas.  Dian was part of that group, and we had several conversations.  Her passion about and commitment to the community of melanoma patients was truly amazing.  I had never heard of "Old Time Music" and remember clearly a long phone conversation about how this southern Appalachian style was a precursor to Bluegrass.  

Dian was a fierce advocate for patients and a constant source of encouragement in Chat and on the board.  I met Dian and Bob at a patient meeting in Seattle, again in 2009.  She had just learned about a new recurrence and was struggling to find the best path forward.  She was uncharacteristically passive, saying "I just wish someone would tell me what I should do."  We have all seen this before, of course–a new or recurrent cancer causes paralysis and uncertainty.  I contacted Jan (Janner) and she said, "I'll talk with her."  Soon Dian was back to her feisty self–thank you Janner, you have helped more people than you will ever know!

In facing this most recent recurrence, Dian struggled with what treatment approach to take.  She knew all too well that a number of different treatments could work, but she had no guarantee that the one she chose would be the right one.  This is a challenge she had walked through with many other people through the years.

The news of Dian's stroke was, for many of us, a crushing blow.  The MPIP community rallied around her and her family in a demonstration of care that was moving.

We have the opportunity sometimes to encounter people whose generosity of spirit and love of life shine through clearly.  Dian was one of those people.  She leaves a legacy of music, of caring, and of courage, and that legacy will stay with us for a long, long time.

Tim–MRF 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

Can only say, CONCUR.   Remember the first couple of times yuour joined us in Chat.

Janner
            Participant

Thanks, Tim, for posting this.  Dian was an incredible person and I miss her dearly.  For many years, she was an amazing asset on this site.  Many of the newer folks don't remember her as she wasn't too active in the last year or so.  But going back to 2003, any oldsters would recognize her.  The chat room will never be the same without her.  R.I.P. Dian.

Janner

Janner
              Participant

Thanks, Tim, for posting this.  Dian was an incredible person and I miss her dearly.  For many years, she was an amazing asset on this site.  Many of the newer folks don't remember her as she wasn't too active in the last year or so.  But going back to 2003, any oldsters would recognize her.  The chat room will never be the same without her.  R.I.P. Dian.

Janner

Janner
                Participant

Janner

washoegal
                  Participant

Tim, Beautifully put.  Dian was a vaulable member of this forum and generous with her time.  She will me missed.  Thank-you.

Mary

washoegal
                    Participant

Tim, Beautifully put.  Dian was a vaulable member of this forum and generous with her time.  She will me missed.  Thank-you.

Mary

washoegal
                      Participant

Mary

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

Can only say, CONCUR.   Remember the first couple of times yuour joined us in Chat.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Becky
                          Participant

Thanks Tim. When my son was first diagnosed, I met Dian in the chat room. She was so kind. And so upbeat. I can't tell you how much that meant to me at the time. I am so sad about this, but I know she has left a positive impact on so many.

Becky
                            Participant

Thanks Tim. When my son was first diagnosed, I met Dian in the chat room. She was so kind. And so upbeat. I can't tell you how much that meant to me at the time. I am so sad about this, but I know she has left a positive impact on so many.

Becky
                              Participant

MeNDave
                                Participant

I have not been on the board much since Dave's passing, and I'm saddened to here of Dian's passing.  She truly touched many people, and I remember her posts.  Prayers to her family and friends.

MeNDave
                                  Participant

I have not been on the board much since Dave's passing, and I'm saddened to here of Dian's passing.  She truly touched many people, and I remember her posts.  Prayers to her family and friends.

MeNDave
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics