The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Reducing Prednisone while taking Yervoy – How quick did you reduce dosage?

Forums General Melanoma Community Reducing Prednisone while taking Yervoy – How quick did you reduce dosage?

Participant

First Thanks to those that responded to a previous post about Yervoy reaction. AS stated make sure your Doctor knows Yervoy. My wife suffered because  the doctor we used was not experienced. I gained more knowledge her than my wives doctor knew about Yervoy. Thanks to all who educated me on Prednisone, Endicott, Remicade. Great help.

First Thanks to those that responded to a previous post about Yervoy reaction. AS stated make sure your Doctor knows Yervoy. My wife suffered because  the doctor we used was not experienced. I gained more knowledge her than my wives doctor knew about Yervoy. Thanks to all who educated me on Prednisone, Endicott, Remicade. Great help.

My question for those that have taken high doses of Prednisone  80 to 100 mg.  how fast were you able to reduce in order to resume Yervoy treatment? I have been told it needs to be reduced below 10MG to get a dose. My wife went to 80mg to settle her reaction to Yervoy first dose. How fast has anyone reduced after stable reaction.

Thanks,

Daniel

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant
          Hi Daniel,
          I don’t know the tapering schedule for that high a dose. I was sent home from the hospital on 20 or 30 mg. then developed adrenal insufficiency due to all the pred I had taken, which can happen. Ironically, the treatment for that was low doses of hydrocortisone.
          I was not given my fourth dose of Yervoy, much to my immense disappointment, which I got over rather quickly upon learning how severe my colitis had been. When I was able to taper, it was by 5 mg. every 3-4 days, which I understand is a fast taper.
          Your wife’s melanoma/Yervoy expert will need to determine her taper schedule and she’ll need to be monitored carefully during that time. Only then will that onc be able to determine if and when your wife will receive her next dose.
          Please keep us posted,
          Karen
            ncdaniel
            Participant

Karen, Thanks for response, you responded to a previous post with good information on Yervoy. Keep posting and helping people  we all just keep learning.

NYKaren
              Participant
                Glad to be of some help, Daniel. The people here have been life-savers for me, and it’s an honor to be able to pay it forward.
                Karen
                NYKaren
                Participant
                  Glad to be of some help, Daniel. The people here have been life-savers for me, and it’s an honor to be able to pay it forward.
                  Karen
                  NYKaren
                  Participant
                    Karen
                    ncdaniel
                    Participant

Karen, Thanks for response, you responded to a previous post with good information on Yervoy. Keep posting and helping people  we all just keep learning.

ncdaniel
                      Participant

NYKaren
                      Participant
                        Hi Daniel,
                        I don’t know the tapering schedule for that high a dose. I was sent home from the hospital on 20 or 30 mg. then developed adrenal insufficiency due to all the pred I had taken, which can happen. Ironically, the treatment for that was low doses of hydrocortisone.
                        I was not given my fourth dose of Yervoy, much to my immense disappointment, which I got over rather quickly upon learning how severe my colitis had been. When I was able to taper, it was by 5 mg. every 3-4 days, which I understand is a fast taper.
                        Your wife’s melanoma/Yervoy expert will need to determine her taper schedule and she’ll need to be monitored carefully during that time. Only then will that onc be able to determine if and when your wife will receive her next dose.
                        Please keep us posted,
                        Karen
                        NYKaren
                        Participant
                          Hi Daniel,
                          Please keep us posted,
                          Karen
                          casagrayson
                          Participant

Daniel,

I had pituitary surgery to remove a tumor causing Cushing's disease.  I was sent home on replacement hydrocortisone (similar to prednisone but on different dosages).  Your wife might be able to handle the 10mg taper, but I wouldn't do it more often than every three – four days.  Be very aware of the signs of adrenal insufficiency, because that can quickly turn into an adrenal crisis which can be life threatening.  If your wife develops body aches (like the flu), cognitive issues, vomiting, diahhrea, or headaches she has tapered too fast.  Go back up to the previous dosage, then reduce the next day by 1/2 the taper.  

Good luck!

Colleen66
                              Participant

Casa, if your adrenal insufficiency continues or should turn to full Addison's Disease,  you need to carry an emergency shot kit loaded with 100mg corticosteroid.   If run down or really stressed you need to stress dose, usually at least 2x normal doing for 3 days.  You endocrinologist can give you you specific dosing.  My Hubs just went thru an adrenal crisis and was treated in the er successfully.  Keep reading up.

Good luck to you.

Colleen 

Colleen66
                                Participant

Casa, if your adrenal insufficiency continues or should turn to full Addison's Disease,  you need to carry an emergency shot kit loaded with 100mg corticosteroid.   If run down or really stressed you need to stress dose, usually at least 2x normal doing for 3 days.  You endocrinologist can give you you specific dosing.  My Hubs just went thru an adrenal crisis and was treated in the er successfully.  Keep reading up.

Good luck to you.

Colleen 

Colleen66
                                  Participant

Good luck to you.

Colleen 

casagrayson
                                  Participant

Daniel,

I had pituitary surgery to remove a tumor causing Cushing's disease.  I was sent home on replacement hydrocortisone (similar to prednisone but on different dosages).  Your wife might be able to handle the 10mg taper, but I wouldn't do it more often than every three – four days.  Be very aware of the signs of adrenal insufficiency, because that can quickly turn into an adrenal crisis which can be life threatening.  If your wife develops body aches (like the flu), cognitive issues, vomiting, diahhrea, or headaches she has tapered too fast.  Go back up to the previous dosage, then reduce the next day by 1/2 the taper.  

Good luck!

casagrayson
                                    Participant

Daniel,

Good luck!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics