The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recurrence?

Forums General Melanoma Community Recurrence?

Participant
      Has anyone else been told they WILL have a recurrence? I have and I’m totally confused when I was told my nodes are clear. Help me understand!!
    Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        CHD
        Participant

To the original poster:  Who told you that you will have a recurrence?  Do you  have your pathology report and can you provide more information about how your melanoma was staged, where it was located, and what has been done to treat it?

CHD
          Participant

To the original poster:  Who told you that you will have a recurrence?  Do you  have your pathology report and can you provide more information about how your melanoma was staged, where it was located, and what has been done to treat it?

CHD
            Participant

LuckyMan51
              Participant

The original poster didn't specify what type of melanoma they had and their head is probably spinning from the back and forth. There was some very good data for a variety of melanoma types shared in the thread but if the original poster can be more specific as to your diagnosis I'm sure you will get some replies that are targeted specifically  to your case. 

LuckyMan51
                Participant

The original poster didn't specify what type of melanoma they had and their head is probably spinning from the back and forth. There was some very good data for a variety of melanoma types shared in the thread but if the original poster can be more specific as to your diagnosis I'm sure you will get some replies that are targeted specifically  to your case. 

LuckyMan51
                  Participant

Jewels07
                    Participant

I am the original poster and I'm sorry my question was a problem. I am new to this, diagnosed in April. My type is superficial spreading malignant melanoma and I was staged at 1b after surgery. I do NOT like the answers or lack thereof, from the Dr. I asked about prognosis and such just to be told "we just don't have those answers." So I chose to ask here. I don't wnat a problem, I just want someone to answer my question. I have read stories that people with the same staging had recurrance but don't know if is the same type or if it matters. I AM AFRAID!!!!!

Jewels07
                      Participant

I am the original poster and I'm sorry my question was a problem. I am new to this, diagnosed in April. My type is superficial spreading malignant melanoma and I was staged at 1b after surgery. I do NOT like the answers or lack thereof, from the Dr. I asked about prognosis and such just to be told "we just don't have those answers." So I chose to ask here. I don't wnat a problem, I just want someone to answer my question. I have read stories that people with the same staging had recurrance but don't know if is the same type or if it matters. I AM AFRAID!!!!!

Jewels07
                          Participant

PS…My Dr. told me it would be back either in the same area or somewhere else. I had the WLE and node removal. The nodes came back clean. They took a 2x6cm to get clear margins. Original depth was .8cm with no clear margins. The location was on my elbow bone. There, I hope I remembered everything. and yes my head is spinning!

Jewels07
                            Participant

PS…My Dr. told me it would be back either in the same area or somewhere else. I had the WLE and node removal. The nodes came back clean. They took a 2x6cm to get clear margins. Original depth was .8cm with no clear margins. The location was on my elbow bone. There, I hope I remembered everything. and yes my head is spinning!

Jewels07
                              Participant

CORRECTION: original depth .8mm

Jewels07
                                Participant

JC
                                  Participant

Population-based 20-year survival among people diagnosed with thin melanomas in Queensland, Australia.

Available clinical and histologic data from the Queensland Cancer Registry were obtained for all patients diagnosed with a single thin invasive melanoma from 1982 to 2006 and matched against national death registration data. Melanoma-specific survival estimates to December 31, 2007, were assessed, and subgroup differences in prognosis were determined by fitting multivariate Cox proportional hazard models.

RESULTS: Among 26,736 people in the state of Queensland diagnosed with thin melanomas, the 20-year survival was 96%

JC
                                    Participant

Population-based 20-year survival among people diagnosed with thin melanomas in Queensland, Australia.

Available clinical and histologic data from the Queensland Cancer Registry were obtained for all patients diagnosed with a single thin invasive melanoma from 1982 to 2006 and matched against national death registration data. Melanoma-specific survival estimates to December 31, 2007, were assessed, and subgroup differences in prognosis were determined by fitting multivariate Cox proportional hazard models.

RESULTS: Among 26,736 people in the state of Queensland diagnosed with thin melanomas, the 20-year survival was 96%

JC
                                      Participant

Jewels07
                                        Participant

Jewels07
                                          Participant

Janner
                                            Participant

There are 5 and 10 year survival rates, but the staging changed in 2010 so someone with stage 1B diagnosed prior to 2010 could have been stage IA prior (2 of my 3 primaries were initially stage IA but in today's staging they are stage IB.  Stage IA is a more exclusive club now. 

Most stage IB people have no reason to post here after their initial diagnosis – they don't do additional treatment and it's better to move on with LIFE!  I've had 3 melanomas, but my first stage IB primary (using today's staging) was removed 22 years ago.  I'm still here, still stage IB.  All three of mine were superficial spreading melanoma.  About 70% of the people have superficial spreading melanoma.  Could you have a recurrence?  Yes.  That's not a death sentence in and of itself.  But given your stage IB staging now, odds are still very much in your favor that you won't have any issues with melanoma in the future.  Web sites like this one are geared toward newly diagnosed and "exceptions" – people who have recurred.  But you don't get to see the high percentages of people who NEVER recur.

Janner
                                              Participant

There are 5 and 10 year survival rates, but the staging changed in 2010 so someone with stage 1B diagnosed prior to 2010 could have been stage IA prior (2 of my 3 primaries were initially stage IA but in today's staging they are stage IB.  Stage IA is a more exclusive club now. 

Most stage IB people have no reason to post here after their initial diagnosis – they don't do additional treatment and it's better to move on with LIFE!  I've had 3 melanomas, but my first stage IB primary (using today's staging) was removed 22 years ago.  I'm still here, still stage IB.  All three of mine were superficial spreading melanoma.  About 70% of the people have superficial spreading melanoma.  Could you have a recurrence?  Yes.  That's not a death sentence in and of itself.  But given your stage IB staging now, odds are still very much in your favor that you won't have any issues with melanoma in the future.  Web sites like this one are geared toward newly diagnosed and "exceptions" – people who have recurred.  But you don't get to see the high percentages of people who NEVER recur.

Janner
                                                Participant

natasha
                                                  Participant

Hi Janner! I think I missed something . So you said staging for melanoma is changed now? What is new stages description please? Many thanks .Natasha

natasha
                                                    Participant

Hi Janner! I think I missed something . So you said staging for melanoma is changed now? What is new stages description please? Many thanks .Natasha

natasha
                                                      Participant

RJoeyB
                                                        Participant

I'm sorry that you had to have someone tell you that a recurrence was likely without providing any other information, context, or apparent support.  Unfortunately, I think it happens much too frequently, For example, often times as the diagnosis moves from dermatology to oncology, there are some great dermatologists who help patients understand their diagnosis and next steps and then continue to play a role in ongoing care as the primary roles transition to melanoma oncologists.  I'm thankful that was my experience, but I know of many others who have not been in the same situation.  In your case, I don't know which doctor hasn't done a very good job of providing you with answers, but you should be given better care than that.  There is partial truth in that none of us know for certain or have answers, but there's so much information about risk factors and other prognostic indicators to help us understand better, and that should certainly be shared with you.

Also, as many have already stated in different ways, most Stage I survivors, who are the vast majority, won't be posting here in this forum — that's not meant to be a negative comment, it's a good thing, they are living their lives, hopefully making wise choices and being vigilant, but otherwise not spending time worrying too much about it.  But it does make the forum present a skewed view of the reality of the good prognosis you have right now at Stage I.  I'm Stage IV and have been for four years and if you read my story or posts, it is scary (at least I think so) as are many other experiences discussed here, but that doesn't have any bearing on your experience of what Stage I will be for you and you just won't see much follow-up or hear from all of those Stage I survivors.  

Please try to not let what you read here define for you what it means to be a Stage I melanoma survivor because it can easily overwhelm you — I know that is far easier said than done.  

Wishing you understanding and peace, Joe

Jewels07
                                                          Participant
                                                            Thank you for the encouragement!
                                                            Jewels07
                                                            Participant
                                                              Jewels07
                                                              Participant
                                                                RJoeyB
                                                                Participant

I'm sorry that you had to have someone tell you that a recurrence was likely without providing any other information, context, or apparent support.  Unfortunately, I think it happens much too frequently, For example, often times as the diagnosis moves from dermatology to oncology, there are some great dermatologists who help patients understand their diagnosis and next steps and then continue to play a role in ongoing care as the primary roles transition to melanoma oncologists.  I'm thankful that was my experience, but I know of many others who have not been in the same situation.  In your case, I don't know which doctor hasn't done a very good job of providing you with answers, but you should be given better care than that.  There is partial truth in that none of us know for certain or have answers, but there's so much information about risk factors and other prognostic indicators to help us understand better, and that should certainly be shared with you.

Also, as many have already stated in different ways, most Stage I survivors, who are the vast majority, won't be posting here in this forum — that's not meant to be a negative comment, it's a good thing, they are living their lives, hopefully making wise choices and being vigilant, but otherwise not spending time worrying too much about it.  But it does make the forum present a skewed view of the reality of the good prognosis you have right now at Stage I.  I'm Stage IV and have been for four years and if you read my story or posts, it is scary (at least I think so) as are many other experiences discussed here, but that doesn't have any bearing on your experience of what Stage I will be for you and you just won't see much follow-up or hear from all of those Stage I survivors.  

Please try to not let what you read here define for you what it means to be a Stage I melanoma survivor because it can easily overwhelm you — I know that is far easier said than done.  

RJoeyB
                                                                  Participant

Jewels07
                                                                  Participant

ed williams
                                                                    Participant

Hi Anonymous, I am glad that you weren't scared off from all the above BS. I spent 5 min doing a google search and went to the Canadian Cancer Society web page. I think most national cancer societies would have similiar stats. The list talks about, Depth of invasion, Ulceration, Lymph nodes involement, Site, Gender and finally Mitotic rate. Take a look at this site or one of similiar reputation. I think it will help you to calm down. I would also recommend taking a look back at older post.  Many stage one people have been asking similiar questions. One other word of advice about the forum, there are lots of great and helpful people here. I usually go to their home page and read some past post that they have made. One of the above posters actually posted Anonymously way back when. All the things that people have said in the past are recorded. I find it very entertaining especially when some poster answer there own post anonymously and they usually say how great it was.Look at the time of the response, when they are close together it is ofter from the same person. Good luck with your journey!!!  Ed

ed williams
                                                                      Participant

Hi Anonymous, I am glad that you weren't scared off from all the above BS. I spent 5 min doing a google search and went to the Canadian Cancer Society web page. I think most national cancer societies would have similiar stats. The list talks about, Depth of invasion, Ulceration, Lymph nodes involement, Site, Gender and finally Mitotic rate. Take a look at this site or one of similiar reputation. I think it will help you to calm down. I would also recommend taking a look back at older post.  Many stage one people have been asking similiar questions. One other word of advice about the forum, there are lots of great and helpful people here. I usually go to their home page and read some past post that they have made. One of the above posters actually posted Anonymously way back when. All the things that people have said in the past are recorded. I find it very entertaining especially when some poster answer there own post anonymously and they usually say how great it was.Look at the time of the response, when they are close together it is ofter from the same person. Good luck with your journey!!!  Ed

ed williams
                                                                        Participant

Jewels07
                                                                            Participant

Thank you Ed! I will definately check that out. I do appreciate all the input from everyone. Cancer is very prominate in my family, from breast, colon, bladder, pancreatic and the like. I am the first to have this type and just don't know where to turn.

Jewels07
                                                                              Participant

Thank you Ed! I will definately check that out. I do appreciate all the input from everyone. Cancer is very prominate in my family, from breast, colon, bladder, pancreatic and the like. I am the first to have this type and just don't know where to turn.

Jewels07
                                                                                Participant

Linny
                                                                                Participant

Boy, this sure got heated fast.

First and foremost, having clear lymph nodes is a very good thing. It means that the melanoma did not spread there so it sounds like you're probaby Stage I, which means your chances of recurrence are low. But you still need to be vigilant and get skin checks done on a regularly scheduled basis.

I do remember being told this by my doctors: the longer you go without a recurrence, the less the chances are of a recurrence.

Don't obsess over statistics. If you do find yourself reading them, check the publication date. You'll notice that many were published before 2010. With the approval of Zelboraf and Yervoy for advanced melanoma (which you don't have), that was a banner year for melanoma. And, more treatment options for advanced melanoma are in the works as we speak. Survival statistics will be much different with all these advances.

Linny
                                                                                  Participant

First and foremost, having clear lymph nodes is a very good thing. It means that the melanoma did not spread there so it sounds like you're probaby Stage I, which means your chances of recurrence are low. But you still need to be vigilant and get skin checks done on a regularly scheduled basis.

I do remember being told this by my doctors: the longer you go without a recurrence, the less the chances are of a recurrence.

Don't obsess over statistics. If you do find yourself reading them, check the publication date. You'll notice that many were published before 2010. With the approval of Zelboraf and Yervoy for advanced melanoma (which you don't have), that was a banner year for melanoma. And, more treatment options for advanced melanoma are in the works as we speak. Survival statistics will be much different with all these advances.

Linny
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics