The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Rectal Medication also opening Taf capsules

Forums General Melanoma Community Rectal Medication also opening Taf capsules

Participant

There was a post here some time ago (I think) about rectal administration of medication, specifically BRAFi for those who can't swallow. I have unsuccessfully searched. If anyone can find or experience with it, would be appreciated. Also with opening Taf. capsules and mixing in yogurt or the like (just started this with Adriana today as a last chance.) she has been taking some of her meds rectally (oxy, dilauded, dex, topomax) but have gotten some oral replacements.  

Adriana update coming. Obviosly not good.

Thanks, Rob

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hey Rob, 

First and foremost, I am sorry.  Secondly, I don't know.  Third, a lot of the meds you listed that you are giving rectally can be prescribed in liquid form…don't know if that would help you, but wanted you to know.  

4).  I carefully perused the package insert for taf:  https://www.pharma.us.novartis.com/sites/www.pharma.us.novartis.com/files/tafinlar.pdf

It states very clearly not to break, crush, etc the capsule.  However, it is not time released.  But, the capsule is made of pretty heavy duty stuff…not just gelatine…so the capsule may serve the function of protecting the med while it is in the stomach.  That could be the case for two reasons – 1.  the med may be irritating to the stomach should it come in contact with it…ie if the capsule were not in place.  2.  the med may be destroyed by the stomach acid and rendered ineffective if the capsule is not in place.

I suspect that giving taf without the capsule would probably do no harm.  However, mixing it with food…or due to the facts above…it may be rendered ineffective.  My best recommendation is to call a pharmacist…preferably one you know that will talk to you, who is also familiar with oncology drugs….and ask what the import of the shell is in taf's case.

Hang in there.  Hugs to you both.  love, c

adriana cooper
            Participant

Thanks, I had checked it over some too as well as consulted with the Hospice Nurse. I will try and follow up with SCCA Pharmacy tomorrow. We absolutely do not want to make things worse but do want to take any opportunity. Going to make an effort at a whole capsule tomorrow.  Some chance is better than no chance. Again truly appreciate all you bring to everyone here.

Rob

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics