The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recommendations for doctor in NYC for follow up care

Forums General Melanoma Community Recommendations for doctor in NYC for follow up care

Participant

Hi

My son 26 year old son Ben was diagnosed 3A in 2009 (oral melanoma). Surgery and treatment (interferon) was done here in California with Kaiser. Last July his oncologist said that since he was 5 years NED, he could have annual checkups ( possible scans) instead of every 6 months.

In the meantime, he has moved to New York City and has his own insurance. It would be a year since he last saw a doctor. I told him to call Sloan Kettering since they have such a great reputation. They told him they only take new patients with active disease.

So does anyone have any recommendations for a doctor ( would he find a general oncologist?) in NYC?

Thanks!

Becky

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

Hi Becky,

you can try Richard Carvajal who just moved from Sloan Kettering to Columbia Presbyterian.  He was part of Sloan's melanoma group before moving to CP

Becky
            Participant

Thanks, will pass that along. It looks like he speiclaizes in unusual melanomas like mucosal so that is great.

any other suggestions welcome !

Becky
              Participant

Thanks, will pass that along. It looks like he speiclaizes in unusual melanomas like mucosal so that is great.

Becky
                Participant

SABKLYN
                Participant

Hi Becky,

you can try Richard Carvajal who just moved from Sloan Kettering to Columbia Presbyterian.  He was part of Sloan's melanoma group before moving to CP

SABKLYN
                  Participant

Hi Becky,

jenny22
                    Participant

I have been treated at both SLoan and NYU….had my surgery at SLOAN, but for melanoma oncologist, I would HIGHLY recommend he see ANNA PAVLICK at NYU…..she is a true melanoma expert…..with years of experience and research……

She also happens to be a nice person, great bedside manner, and a very very positive outlook.

212 731 5431……

She came highly recommended to me and i am so please i chose her!

Good luck to  your son.

jenny22
                      Participant

I have been treated at both SLoan and NYU….had my surgery at SLOAN, but for melanoma oncologist, I would HIGHLY recommend he see ANNA PAVLICK at NYU…..she is a true melanoma expert…..with years of experience and research……

She also happens to be a nice person, great bedside manner, and a very very positive outlook.

212 731 5431……

Good luck to  your son.

jenny22
                        Participant

212 731 5431……

Good luck to  your son.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics