The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recently diagnosed

Forums General Melanoma Community Recently diagnosed

Participant

I was recently diagnosed with Clark's Stage IV melanoma.  I went n for just a check up and chose to have a mole removed because it was ugly.  The doc said it didn't look suspicious, but he would send it off anyway.  Low and behold, it came back melanoma.  I have had a chest x-ray done and blood work and everything came back normal.  I am going to UVA Cancer center because they said my margins weren't clear that there was still some situ left and that they would also do a mapping and check my sentinole node.  I am just wondering if anyone else has ha

I was recently diagnosed with Clark's Stage IV melanoma.  I went n for just a check up and chose to have a mole removed because it was ugly.  The doc said it didn't look suspicious, but he would send it off anyway.  Low and behold, it came back melanoma.  I have had a chest x-ray done and blood work and everything came back normal.  I am going to UVA Cancer center because they said my margins weren't clear that there was still some situ left and that they would also do a mapping and check my sentinole node.  I am just wondering if anyone else has had similar.  My mole was 1.5 mm and was not ulcerated and also did not regress after removal.  Anyone have any idea what is going to happen next and if some of all of this news is good?  I am only 31 and have three very small children and am scared to death. 

Thanks for anyone who replies!

Kimberly

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jackie W
        Participant

Sorry  you have to be here, but you have come to  a great place.  You a Clarks LEVEL IV, not stage IV.  Stage IV is when melanoma has metastasized to other parts of the body.  What they will probably do at UVA is a wide lesion excision and a Sentinel Node Biopsy.  The SNB is to see if the melanoma has gone to any of the lymph nodes.  There are several people here who go to UVA and it seems they have some very good oncologists who specialize in melanoma.

Good luck

Jackie W

Jackie W
          Participant

Sorry  you have to be here, but you have come to  a great place.  You a Clarks LEVEL IV, not stage IV.  Stage IV is when melanoma has metastasized to other parts of the body.  What they will probably do at UVA is a wide lesion excision and a Sentinel Node Biopsy.  The SNB is to see if the melanoma has gone to any of the lymph nodes.  There are several people here who go to UVA and it seems they have some very good oncologists who specialize in melanoma.

Good luck

Jackie W

washoegal
            Participant

Kimberly, so far so good.  You caught it fairly early.  The post above gave you a good idea of what will happen.  Your mole wasn't very deep so if there is no lymph node involvement than there will likely be no further treatment needed.  They may wish to do relular follow-up scans just to be on the safe side.

The WLE is a large chunck of tissue surrounding the mole, you'll be surprised!  But depending on the location, it really isn't a big deal.  Most people recover from the Sentinal Node Biopsy (SNB) fairly well.  They remove only 2-4 nodes and it's an out-patient proceedure. 

But be assured, 1.5mm should have a good prognosis.  Good luck.  Let us know the outcome.

washoegal
              Participant

Kimberly, so far so good.  You caught it fairly early.  The post above gave you a good idea of what will happen.  Your mole wasn't very deep so if there is no lymph node involvement than there will likely be no further treatment needed.  They may wish to do relular follow-up scans just to be on the safe side.

The WLE is a large chunck of tissue surrounding the mole, you'll be surprised!  But depending on the location, it really isn't a big deal.  Most people recover from the Sentinal Node Biopsy (SNB) fairly well.  They remove only 2-4 nodes and it's an out-patient proceedure. 

But be assured, 1.5mm should have a good prognosis.  Good luck.  Let us know the outcome.

msue5
                Participant

Kimberly,

I live near you(Warrenton). I was diagnosed in Jan of this year with a 3mm nodular melanoma on my thigh and had a neg SLNB. I receive my care at Washington Hospital Melanoma Center.I know how scary this is and if you want to contact me via e-mail feel free([email protected]). Maybe we could meet or at least talk on the phone.

Mary Sue

msue5
                  Participant

Kimberly,

I live near you(Warrenton). I was diagnosed in Jan of this year with a 3mm nodular melanoma on my thigh and had a neg SLNB. I receive my care at Washington Hospital Melanoma Center.I know how scary this is and if you want to contact me via e-mail feel free([email protected]). Maybe we could meet or at least talk on the phone.

Mary Sue

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics