The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recently diagnosed and need some help please!

Forums General Melanoma Community Recently diagnosed and need some help please!

Participant

Good Morning! Recently diagnosed and not sure what to think. Hoping someone can give me some insight and what to possibly expect going forward. Pathology report says, superficial spreading transcending to deep and lateral margins, 1.2 mm, mitotic rate 7, at least a Clark’s Level IV, and no ulceration. Just completed PET scan and found to be clear. Scheduled for lymph node mapping and SLNB with wide local excision to follow on Monday. How serious is this? Thank you!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        MikeInAK
        Participant

I wanted to respod, as your inquiry had not had any replies.   Sounds like you are on the right path for the usual standard of care.   The next steps of the SLN mapping and biopsy will tell you more about how serious it could be.  It is GREAT that your PET scan was clear, mine was not.   Its hard to predict and surmise until the procedures are done and the experts are able to review the pathologies if some mets are found.   

I hope it goes well for you tommorow, I and many others have been down this road.  There is a lot of support and good information here on this fourm.  You can read the posts and some of the great information about this disease that is affecting us all.  Check back in as you move through the process, we are here to help as much as we can with each other's journeys through the process of fighting progression and recovery.  

bandj5
            Participant

Thank you for responding to my post! Sore today from yesterday’s procedure. Took out 3 lymph nodes in groin area along with cancer spot. I go for follow up in 2 weeks. So now I guess it’s just a waiting game, correct? Just don’t know what to think, like how serious this is. Will continue to search this website for answers. Thanks again!

MikeInAK
              Participant

I understand, the pain for the SLNB was a lot more for me that the WLE done at the asme time.  Yes, think you are in the waiting game until the pathology comes back on the lymph node biopsies.   If your PET scan was clear, I would think positive that you will have a negative results.  That would be good news for your staging and path forward for monitoring for futher potential occurance.   We all go through the worrying game, just keep positive attitude and don't dwell on the worse case scenerios.  

Peace

bandj5
                Participant

Thank you for your encouraging words! Can I ask how you are currently doing?

MikeInAK
                  Participant

I am in the adjuvant treatment phase with NED post surgeries.   Today will be my 4th infusion of Opdivo, and checkup scans are a few months out.   So, doing good at this point is what I would say.  I seem to handle the Nivo OK, and hopeful it stays that way and it does its job for any cleanup needed.  

bandj5
                    Participant

I am praying that everything continues to go well for you and you receive good news on your check up scans! You sound like a strong person so continue fighting and encouraging others as you did for me. Thank you!

Viewing 0 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics