The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Recent Malignant Melanoma Diagnosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Recent Malignant Melanoma Diagnosis

Participant
      Hi Everyone!
      I was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma. I have met with a surgical oncologist and have a WLE scheduled in 11 days, and will also have sentinel node(s) removed and sent to pathology. I’m not sure what stage I am, I do know my melanoma was 2mm. To say I am freaking out, is an understatement. I am doing my best to stay positive but I am scared. Any suggestions or words of comfort would be appreciated<3
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lucas
        Participant
          The hardest part can be the initial diagnosis. Because of all the treatment advances in melanoma I’m confident you will be ok. I advanced to stage 4 and am confident you likely never will be anywhere close. However the hardest part was the beginning. The are so many advancements in treating melanoma and so many more on the way that this disease is treatable. Keep enjoying your life and this will only be a bump in the road.
            Cinta
            Participant
              Thank you Lucas for the encouraging words! It means a lot! I don’t where you are in your fight but i hope that you are well and soon to be cancer free if you aren’t already.
            JudiAU
            Participant
              It is hard. I’m sorry. But there are a lot of treatments today so try and breathe and get through the first stages without panicking! Happy healing.
                Cinta
                Participant
                  Thank you so much JudiAU!<3
                Ilikestargate
                Participant
                  I advanced to Stage 4 in May 2019 and was treated with Yervoy and Opdivo (two types of Immunotherapy). At the time, the general public didn’t know about Immunotherapy (maybe still doesn’t) but these new treatments are game changers for advanced Melanoma. I’ve been in complete remission since September 2019. Eat healthy, exersize as possible, and get complete explanations for treatment options from your Oncologist. Don’t panic. As Lucas said, this is just a bump in the road. It’s scary but very treatable.
                  Cinta
                  Participant
                    Thank you all for your encouragement, kind words and sharing some of your personal experience! My wide local excision and sentinel lymph node biopsy on 5/19 went very well and so has my recovery. I received great news last Wednesday that there were no cancer cells found in my lymph nodes or in any of the tissue around my original malignancy. Stage 1B. A huge relief. I wish you all happy and healthy lives!<3
                    JudiAU
                    Participant
                      Great to hear. Just do any follow up care they recommend.
                  Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics