The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Reading online imaging results – what would you do?

Forums General Melanoma Community Reading online imaging results – what would you do?

Participant
      Curious questions because scanxiety is at an all time high. And unfortunately practiced at this – 5 years NED and this is the final one of the trial.

The scan results are posted online but we don’t meet with the doctor until next week. Would you want to take a peek at them now or wait? Ahh the suspense!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Johnjk04
        Participant
          Anonymous, I would have checked the results the minute it hit my email. No scan anxiety here but I like to deal with the facts.
            Mark_DC
            Participant
              Anonymous, I never look at the results ahead of my appointment. I may not know how to interpret. If I was NED and was used to reading the reports then I might read early but so far I have resisted the temptation. What if it’s bad news and there is nothing you can do about it until the appointment? If I could bring forward the appointment if results are bad then I might consider.

I usually do my scans on a Friday and my appointment is the following Wednesday. I am usually on edge around that time but usually I can sleep except for the Tuesday night when it varies. For my last scan the radiologists were all nice to me so this made me worried that they had seen something! I try to forget the fact that I have taken my scans until immediately before the appointment.

Good luck and hope the scans will be good news and you continue NED!

ThinkingPositive
            Participant
              Hi Anon, I see you received a varied response to your question. I always read reports as soon as they are available on the patient portal. Congratulations on 5 years NED and I hope this scan is good news too! Cyn
              Johnjk04
              Participant
                My surgeon taught me to read the impression parts of the scans. The impression wraps up all the details of the scan.
                Whether you read before or wait for your oncologist, I hope your scan comes out unremarkable.
                  dentholla
                  Participant
                    Thank you all for the comments so far. My husband decided to wait and see what the doc has to say on Wednesday.
                    dentholla
                    Participant
                      Great news, 5 years NED and scans looked good. Thank you all for the encouragement!
                      Mark_DC
                      Participant
                        Well done — I thought the scan results came in today. He;’s brave for toughing it out. Hope you can have a drink (or something else!) to celebrate
                        Having good scan results is a great feeling!!!!
                  Viewing 2 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics