The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Re: Zelboraf and cognitive impairment

Forums General Melanoma Community Re: Zelboraf and cognitive impairment

Participant

Hi, my name is Jo and I am writing on behalf of my husband, Mickey. He was diagnosed as stage 4 melanoma in May 2012

and was put on Zelboraf within a week.  He's had all the usual side effects, nausea, hair loss, joint pain etc., but now

he is experiencing memory problems. He can't remember certain names or words and it's scary for him which creates

anxiety ( which he suffered from already). He had a brain MRI which came back OK, no mets. He also had a spinal

Hi, my name is Jo and I am writing on behalf of my husband, Mickey. He was diagnosed as stage 4 melanoma in May 2012

and was put on Zelboraf within a week.  He's had all the usual side effects, nausea, hair loss, joint pain etc., but now

he is experiencing memory problems. He can't remember certain names or words and it's scary for him which creates

anxiety ( which he suffered from already). He had a brain MRI which came back OK, no mets. He also had a spinal

tap a week ago to rule out infection, but haven't gotten results yet. We were wondering if anyone else has had this

problem while on Zel.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        WayneG
        Participant

Been on Zel since 4/23, stage IV melanoma and except for a couple of days, full dosage.  Side effects have been tolerable and did get better around the end of month 3.  I'm also about the same age as your husband (62 about to be 63) and still work.  Have what I think are normal, age related memory issues, don't think Zel has made it worse.

That said, this drug does affect people differently and I wouldn't rule it out yet.  Zelboraf has a nurse hotline that you can call and they "should" tell you if others have reported similar reactions.

In my opinion too, just having melanoma especially stage IV, makes you anxious and then everything that happens is automatically thought to be related.  But we know we can have other stuff totally separate.

Be vigilent..

Wayne

WayneG
          Participant

Been on Zel since 4/23, stage IV melanoma and except for a couple of days, full dosage.  Side effects have been tolerable and did get better around the end of month 3.  I'm also about the same age as your husband (62 about to be 63) and still work.  Have what I think are normal, age related memory issues, don't think Zel has made it worse.

That said, this drug does affect people differently and I wouldn't rule it out yet.  Zelboraf has a nurse hotline that you can call and they "should" tell you if others have reported similar reactions.

In my opinion too, just having melanoma especially stage IV, makes you anxious and then everything that happens is automatically thought to be related.  But we know we can have other stuff totally separate.

Be vigilent..

Wayne

Mickey n Jo
              Participant

Wayne, thank you for your kind and informative reply.  I am definitely going to call the

hotline and see what info they can give us. We will post what they have to say.

We are new to posting in this forum, but you all have been a source of valuable

information for some time.  This disease is such a roller coaster ride, it really helps

to have people who truly understand what it's like. 

Mickey n Jo
                Participant

Called the hotline and they said they had no reports of any kind of memory problems

associated with Zel, but said it wasn't totally out of the question.  We just have to

wait and see what shows on the spinal tap, if anything, otherwise it could just

be related to anxiety, since when you're extremely anxious you can become

forgetful.

WayneG
                  Participant

Glad you called them and thanks for posting!

Wayne

WayneG
                    Participant

Wayne

WayneG
                      Participant

Wayne

Mickey n Jo
                        Participant

Called the hotline and they said they had no reports of any kind of memory problems

associated with Zel, but said it wasn't totally out of the question.  We just have to

forgetful.

Mickey n Jo
                          Participant

forgetful.

Mickey n Jo
                            Participant

Wayne, thank you for your kind and informative reply.  I am definitely going to call the

information for some time.  This disease is such a roller coaster ride, it really helps

Mickey n Jo
                              Participant

WayneG
                              Participant

Be vigilent..

Wayne

awillett1991
                                Participant
                                  I had an episode in June where I think you could say I was basically overdosing on Zel. Sort of like the flu plus a major depression, liver levels were all up, sweating all the time, and I know I was not thinking clearly..

I would definitely not count out Zel as the cause for this since we know it goes into the brain. I was off for a few days, then reduced to half dose for a week, then back to 3 pills twice a day. I just cannot handle a higher dose. Nor can I seem to stay on it without needing a 2 or 3 day break every few weeks. What dose is he on? Maybe reducing would help. This is very common.

awillett1991
                                  Participant
                                    I had an episode in June where I think you could say I was basically overdosing on Zel. Sort of like the flu plus a major depression, liver levels were all up, sweating all the time, and I know I was not thinking clearly..

I would definitely not count out Zel as the cause for this since we know it goes into the brain. I was off for a few days, then reduced to half dose for a week, then back to 3 pills twice a day. I just cannot handle a higher dose. Nor can I seem to stay on it without needing a 2 or 3 day break every few weeks. What dose is he on? Maybe reducing would help. This is very common.

Mickey n Jo
                                      Participant

Started in May at full dose, but in July had to go off for a few days due to severe

nausea and joint pain, after that went back on 3 pills 2x a day, but even that

seems to be too much. Have to see what Dr suggests.

Mickey n Jo
                                        Participant

Started in May at full dose, but in July had to go off for a few days due to severe

Mickey n Jo
                                          Participant

awillett1991
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics