The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Randomized to TIL (TBI) at NIH

Forums General Melanoma Community Randomized to TIL (TBI) at NIH

Participant

Just to let you know that I have been randomized and will be in the TIL (total body irradiation).  I have been down here doing final tests this past week which have to be done within 3 weeks of treatment, the colonoscopy was a bit of a scare, biopsy showed something but proved to be most likely from ipilimumab drug and was healed..thank goodness, or I would have been off the trial.  If I hadn't been on TBI arm, I would be flying home today but now I'll be staying another week for them to do apheresis to harvest my stem cells for radiation.  So today, I'll jus

Just to let you know that I have been randomized and will be in the TIL (total body irradiation).  I have been down here doing final tests this past week which have to be done within 3 weeks of treatment, the colonoscopy was a bit of a scare, biopsy showed something but proved to be most likely from ipilimumab drug and was healed..thank goodness, or I would have been off the trial.  If I hadn't been on TBI arm, I would be flying home today but now I'll be staying another week for them to do apheresis to harvest my stem cells for radiation.  So today, I'll just be a tourist in Bethesda and take a break from it all. 

I can't say enough about how blessed I am to be accepted into this trial.  THANK YOU AGAIN WARREN, a million times for the contacts.  I know it's tough..but that's how it is with melanoma and my right leg is sooo nasty now with many smaller sub-qs and some terrible weeping large ones – to be cleaned daily.  The good news is that the two masses are gone from left groin since they were used for removing the white cells…which are still being fed in the lab until they are ready for re-entry.

Val

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        bcl
        Participant

Congratulations Val- I hope you will share Warren's results!

ValinMtl
            Participant

Thanks for your words of encouragement.  Linda, if you have a minute could you send me an e-mail via my profile.  There is somebody on Vancouver Island with melanoma and has questions.  I know you are better-versed with BC's medical system and wondered if you could touch base with her.  If you can, send me an e-mail and I will forward her e-mail to you.  Val

ValinMtl
              Participant

Thanks for your words of encouragement.  Linda, if you have a minute could you send me an e-mail via my profile.  There is somebody on Vancouver Island with melanoma and has questions.  I know you are better-versed with BC's medical system and wondered if you could touch base with her.  If you can, send me an e-mail and I will forward her e-mail to you.  Val

bcl
              Participant

Congratulations Val- I hope you will share Warren's results!

King
                Participant

Val,

Best of luck!  I hope you have an enjoyable day playing tourist.  Try to slip in as much fun as possible while having this very tough treatment.  Thinking of you.  Keep us posted when you can.  One day at a time.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

ValinMtl
                    Participant

Thanks King.  I will try to update as much as I can.  Val

ValinMtl
                      Participant

Thanks King.  I will try to update as much as I can.  Val

King
                      Participant

Val,

Best of luck!  I hope you have an enjoyable day playing tourist.  Try to slip in as much fun as possible while having this very tough treatment.  Thinking of you.  Keep us posted when you can.  One day at a time.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

kylez
                        Participant

Congratulations Val for getting into the TIL arm. You're getting a very advanced treatent — you're in line to be 1 of about 100 patients in the U.S. to get this treatment so far! (that figure's from Feb. 2011.)

More prestigous clinical research facilities (beyond Moffitt and MDA — e.g., Yale, Hutchinson, Penn, etc.) have been getting involved in developing the TIL treatment approach. So it seems like it may be getting validation / wings beyond NCI.

kylez
                          Participant

Congratulations Val for getting into the TIL arm. You're getting a very advanced treatent — you're in line to be 1 of about 100 patients in the U.S. to get this treatment so far! (that figure's from Feb. 2011.)

More prestigous clinical research facilities (beyond Moffitt and MDA — e.g., Yale, Hutchinson, Penn, etc.) have been getting involved in developing the TIL treatment approach. So it seems like it may be getting validation / wings beyond NCI.

ValinMtl
                              Participant

Yes, it is all rather exciting as well as stressful.  I am blessed to be on it.  Val

ValinMtl
                                Participant

Yes, it is all rather exciting as well as stressful.  I am blessed to be on it.  Val

lhaley
                                Participant

Val,

I am soooo excited for you!  Sending good vibes your way.  Of course you will let us all know how your doing each step of the way.

Linda

lhaley
                                  Participant

Val,

I am soooo excited for you!  Sending good vibes your way.  Of course you will let us all know how your doing each step of the way.

Linda

ValinMtl
                                      Participant

Me too…it was stressful getting in…surprised I didn't fail my stress test…BUT I DID IT!!  Val

ValinMtl
                                        Participant

Me too…it was stressful getting in…surprised I didn't fail my stress test…BUT I DID IT!!  Val

MariaH
                                        Participant

So very happy you got in the TBI arm – hopefully we'll see you on Tuesday!

Best of luck to you Val!

Maria

MariaH
                                          Participant

So very happy you got in the TBI arm – hopefully we'll see you on Tuesday!

Best of luck to you Val!

Maria

Vermont_Donna
                                              Participant

Dear Val,

I was wondering how things were going. Good for you to get into the trial. I am sorry about your leg….how many sub q's and tumors would you say you have or is it just rampant? I imagine you are needing to bandage the weeping ones. How is the leg lymphadema…is the solarus still working  out ok?

I love the profile picture too! Have fun being a tourist in Bethesda today and know my thoughts are with you daily!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

ValinMtl
                                                Participant

Hi Donna..yep, I'm wrapping te weepers. Lymphedema is a nightmare, my leg is huge with all the sub-qs, especially around the knee.  Solaris has been wonderful, very hard to wear support stockings now, so I live mostly in the solaris which is more comfortable – it stops the throbbing…thank for the recommendation. 

My mantra now will be…I can do this..I can do this…gotta run..off to church at 10 to give thanks.  Val

ValinMtl
                                                  Participant

Hi Donna..yep, I'm wrapping te weepers. Lymphedema is a nightmare, my leg is huge with all the sub-qs, especially around the knee.  Solaris has been wonderful, very hard to wear support stockings now, so I live mostly in the solaris which is more comfortable – it stops the throbbing…thank for the recommendation. 

My mantra now will be…I can do this..I can do this…gotta run..off to church at 10 to give thanks.  Val

Vermont_Donna
                                                    Participant

Dear Val,

I was wondering how things were going. Good for you to get into the trial. I am sorry about your leg….how many sub q's and tumors would you say you have or is it just rampant? I imagine you are needing to bandage the weeping ones. How is the leg lymphadema…is the solarus still working  out ok?

I love the profile picture too! Have fun being a tourist in Bethesda today and know my thoughts are with you daily!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

ValinMtl
                                                      Participant

We've got a date on Tuesday!  Unless they keep you too busy.  Val xx

ValinMtl
                                                        Participant

We've got a date on Tuesday!  Unless they keep you too busy.  Val xx

triciad
                                                        Participant

Val,

Congratulations and good luck with the trial.  Please keep us posted as to how things are going.  You will be in my prayers for complete success!

Tricia

ValinMtl
                                                            Participant

Thanks for your good wishes and prayers Tricia…much appreciated.  Val

ValinMtl
                                                              Participant

Thanks for your good wishes and prayers Tricia…much appreciated.  Val

triciad
                                                              Participant

Val,

Congratulations and good luck with the trial.  Please keep us posted as to how things are going.  You will be in my prayers for complete success!

Tricia

killmel
                                                                Participant

Val,

I am so happy for you. May God bless you & this treatment works to get your NED.

I am thinking about doing IPI…scary allthe side effects. You mentioned in your post: "the colonoscopy was a bit of a scare, biopsy showed something but proved to be most likely from ipilimumab drug and was healed."

If you do not mind me asking, what problem with your colon did IPI cause. Glad to hear it healed up.

Stay safe

Mary

killmel
                                                                  Participant

Val,

I am so happy for you. May God bless you & this treatment works to get your NED.

I am thinking about doing IPI…scary allthe side effects. You mentioned in your post: "the colonoscopy was a bit of a scare, biopsy showed something but proved to be most likely from ipilimumab drug and was healed."

If you do not mind me asking, what problem with your colon did IPI cause. Glad to hear it healed up.

Stay safe

Mary

ValinMtl
                                                                      Participant

Hi Mary,

I did the 3 mg ipi every 3 weeks…there is 10 mg…which one will you be doing? The 3 mg was not too difficult…very little nausea (I think maybe one treatment) and some diarrhea which was kept under control with immodium.  Although the pathologist said it might be ipi related again it might not be.  If it was I didn't really have any serious repercussions. Sharyn from Newfoundland (who unfortunately passed away due to brain tumors) and I were on the same treatment in Montreal and we both agreed that ipi was much easier than other treatments we had before e.g. interferon.  If you decide to go with it Mary, I wish you great success and that you have the same results as Donna in VT…she is NED.  I believe Jerry from Cape Cod did the 10 mg, more side effects but hey he is NED!!

I was a partial responder and very happy I did it!

Val xx

ValinMtl
                                                                        Participant

Hi Mary,

I did the 3 mg ipi every 3 weeks…there is 10 mg…which one will you be doing? The 3 mg was not too difficult…very little nausea (I think maybe one treatment) and some diarrhea which was kept under control with immodium.  Although the pathologist said it might be ipi related again it might not be.  If it was I didn't really have any serious repercussions. Sharyn from Newfoundland (who unfortunately passed away due to brain tumors) and I were on the same treatment in Montreal and we both agreed that ipi was much easier than other treatments we had before e.g. interferon.  If you decide to go with it Mary, I wish you great success and that you have the same results as Donna in VT…she is NED.  I believe Jerry from Cape Cod did the 10 mg, more side effects but hey he is NED!!

I was a partial responder and very happy I did it!

Val xx

JerryfromFauq
                                                                        Participant

Congrates at getting in the trial.  Am waiting and praying for the good result reports.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                          Participant

Congrates at getting in the trial.  Am waiting and praying for the good result reports.

Bruce in NH
                                                                            Participant

Hi Val, glad you continue to make progress at NIH. I'm pulling for you to have a successful treatment program there. I have completed 4 of 10 Whoe Brain Radiation Treatments now, ending on 8/10/11. Then another brain MRI in 3-4 weeks after that, so you will probably be gone by then! Keep us posted on your progress. You are a fighter!!!

Bruce

MariaH
                                                                                Participant

Hey Bruce – I was curious, did NIH ask you to come back once the brain mets are gone?  My husband Dave didn't make it into the TIL trial because they can't get tumor out (too risky).  If he progresses, then he can go back.  But I  was worried about spread to the brain.

Bruce in NH
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Maria, I can't answer your question at this time as my oncologist is doing all the interaction with NIH on my behalf. However, this brain MRI was my last challenge to get entry and until I get my mets down to 3 or less for NIH, I don't think I will quality. My recent MRI on July 8th showed more than 10. I am having another brain MRI at a different facility today just to reassure myself that my films were really mine on the 8th. I was told yesterday that I can only undergo WBRT once in my lifetime, so this is really important. I complete my 6th of 10 WBRT's this morning and the MRI this afternoon, then another MRI on 8/29. I've been doing a lot of praying and I'll add your husband to my list.

Take care,

Bruce

Terra
                                                                                    Participant

Good Luck Val – i am happy you are in the total body radiation arm of the trial.  Looking forward to hearing good news from you inthe future and will be thinking of you in the next several weeks – stay strong

Terra
                                                                                      Participant

Good Luck Val – i am happy you are in the total body radiation arm of the trial.  Looking forward to hearing good news from you inthe future and will be thinking of you in the next several weeks – stay strong

Bruce in NH
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Maria, I can't answer your question at this time as my oncologist is doing all the interaction with NIH on my behalf. However, this brain MRI was my last challenge to get entry and until I get my mets down to 3 or less for NIH, I don't think I will quality. My recent MRI on July 8th showed more than 10. I am having another brain MRI at a different facility today just to reassure myself that my films were really mine on the 8th. I was told yesterday that I can only undergo WBRT once in my lifetime, so this is really important. I complete my 6th of 10 WBRT's this morning and the MRI this afternoon, then another MRI on 8/29. I've been doing a lot of praying and I'll add your husband to my list.

Take care,

Bruce

MariaH
                                                                                          Participant

Hey Bruce – I was curious, did NIH ask you to come back once the brain mets are gone?  My husband Dave didn't make it into the TIL trial because they can't get tumor out (too risky).  If he progresses, then he can go back.  But I  was worried about spread to the brain.

Bruce in NH
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Val, glad you continue to make progress at NIH. I'm pulling for you to have a successful treatment program there. I have completed 4 of 10 Whoe Brain Radiation Treatments now, ending on 8/10/11. Then another brain MRI in 3-4 weeks after that, so you will probably be gone by then! Keep us posted on your progress. You are a fighter!!!

Bruce

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics