The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Radiologist vs Oncologist, how to find out whether infection or another metastasis

Forums General Melanoma Community Radiologist vs Oncologist, how to find out whether infection or another metastasis

Participant

I had a second batch of affected lymph nodes removed in late March of this year. Then my July 28th CT scans were interpreted by the radiologist as ‘likely metastasis’ around the same area (they are lymph nodes swollen to 1.7cm but still have the normal kidney bean shape rather than the rounded metastasis shape). My Oncologist thinks they are just infections and prescribed antibiotics for 10 days. Many of the inflamed areas went down but not the ones in the most concerning area. We are going to scan again at October 1st however, the previously inflamed areas have all puffed back up again because I finished the antibiotics 5 weeks ago. 

I’m at a loss regarding how to find out what these inflamed lymph nodes really are (recurring infection from Opdivo or melanoma recurrence)? 

Also, I feel like if my Oncologist can’t get things figured out (after 4+ months of this swelling) then I’m going to get a second opinion up in Los Angeles (2.5 hour car ride). 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        guynamedbilly
        Participant

I'd be pressing for a fine needle biopsy if they are able to get to it.  As far as I know a biopsy is the only way to be sure.  I have no idea if they are able to do that with healthy lymph nodes.

jennunicorn
          Participant

Does your oncologist consult with a tumor board? When things like this came up, my oncologist would bring this to the tumor board, a group of other melanoma oncologists, and get opinions from multiple great minds. I always found this wonderfully helpful, it's like having a second opinion without having to seek it. 

I don't think melanoma affected lymph nodes would go up and down in size, but any lymph nodes that have stayed the same enlarged size I would ask about getting a fine needle aspiration for on top of getting second imaging in a couple weeks.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics