The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Radiation Weakness

Forums General Melanoma Community Radiation Weakness

Participant

I can't get answers from Drs. (5-6)  I had radiation for Melanoma lumps(nearly golf ball size on face and chest)  about 2 months ago.  There was about 18 treatments and Dr. said they were strong.     Now  (April 11) I am so darn weak it is pitifull.  It is really bad early in the morning..

I can't get answers from Drs. (5-6)  I had radiation for Melanoma lumps(nearly golf ball size on face and chest)  about 2 months ago.  There was about 18 treatments and Dr. said they were strong.     Now  (April 11) I am so darn weak it is pitifull.  It is really bad early in the morning.. I get so I just can't move anymore.  Have been in house for a weak.  I am short of breath but that could be my heart disease and terrible dry mouth, and that can be from all the medication I take..  MY QUESTION IS:   HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS WEAKNESS BIT AFTER RADIATION?   TWO MONTHS AFTER??  Area affected is mainly from waist down.

Don't say get another  opinion as I have had about 6.  With my heart disease of 40+ yrs, and being 79 yrs. old I am not going to last too much longer.

I just want to be a little more comfortable with the time I have left.   This weakness bit sort of come on all of a sudden.    By bedtime it is alittle better but I would not want to try to walk 1/2 block.   I am supposed to have two masses in lung 4cm and 2cm and growing.    One more complaint and I will quit.

Occasionly I will cough up yukky phelm like I had a cold and infection in lung but I don't.  Hope there is a expert Dr. online.   (would like to play a few more rounds of golf but can't pick up bag now)

Thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I'm certainly not an expert doctor, but I will tell you what happened with my Dad.  He has melanoma, but was diagnosed 2+ years ago with lung cancer.  Early stage.  They did a different radiation called 4-D.  This means they target his lung tumor as he breathes and anticipate the movement so they can do a high dose radiation.  Instead of 30 treatments, he had 3 high dose.  I believe the total dosage of the 3 high dose sessions was comparable to what he would have received if he had done the 30 treatments.  To date, it appears his lung cancer is in remission.  However, those 3 radiation treatments took a lot out of him.  2 years later, he still doesn't have the stamina he did prior to that treatment.  His fatigue improved slowly over time, but he never got back to his "normal" prior to the treatment.  He was either 83 or 84 at the time so close enough to your age to be a decent comparison.  He also has prostate cancer in his bones (in remission) and just diagnosed with melanoma in his lymph nodes.  So he also has active stuff going on.   It all takes it's toll – but at least with my Dad, he did have some improvement in stamina over time.  It was just slow and gradual.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

I'm certainly not an expert doctor, but I will tell you what happened with my Dad.  He has melanoma, but was diagnosed 2+ years ago with lung cancer.  Early stage.  They did a different radiation called 4-D.  This means they target his lung tumor as he breathes and anticipate the movement so they can do a high dose radiation.  Instead of 30 treatments, he had 3 high dose.  I believe the total dosage of the 3 high dose sessions was comparable to what he would have received if he had done the 30 treatments.  To date, it appears his lung cancer is in remission.  However, those 3 radiation treatments took a lot out of him.  2 years later, he still doesn't have the stamina he did prior to that treatment.  His fatigue improved slowly over time, but he never got back to his "normal" prior to the treatment.  He was either 83 or 84 at the time so close enough to your age to be a decent comparison.  He also has prostate cancer in his bones (in remission) and just diagnosed with melanoma in his lymph nodes.  So he also has active stuff going on.   It all takes it's toll – but at least with my Dad, he did have some improvement in stamina over time.  It was just slow and gradual.

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics