The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

radiation for stage 3 recurring melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community radiation for stage 3 recurring melanoma?

Participant

I have just had surgery for my 3rd local reoccurance….in rt. axilla.  Oncologist says radiation is not very effective….radiation oncologist says if it is truly localized, PERHAPS it can deter spread….Truly don't know what to do.  Just had negative brain MRI and 2 Cat scans–abdomen and chest—last PET was January.  Radiation oncologist says a new PET is needed..and if it is clear, radiation is indicated.

I have just had surgery for my 3rd local reoccurance….in rt. axilla.  Oncologist says radiation is not very effective….radiation oncologist says if it is truly localized, PERHAPS it can deter spread….Truly don't know what to do.  Just had negative brain MRI and 2 Cat scans–abdomen and chest—last PET was January.  Radiation oncologist says a new PET is needed..and if it is clear, radiation is indicated. My oncologist didn't order another PET….I am 65…I understand Sloan Kettering doesn't even offer interferon anymore, and nothing else is available for stage III….Anyone have experience with radiation for Stage III…Would PET scan offer more info that my recent tests didn't?   Thank you.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        KMT2003
        Participant
          Sorry you are going through this. It does make it harder when you don’t know what to do. If it helps I am being treated at Moffitt and am stage 3. They recommended radiation for me after my surgery to remove the tumor. I am on treatment # 15 out of 20 today. For the most part I am feeling pretty good. Once free of radiation for 21 days I will participate in Moffitt’s clinical trial of interferon/ipilimumab . I had a mole removed from neck in 07 and swollen lymph node in same area removed in 2012. Hope you get the answers you are looking for. Good luck!
          KMT2003
          Participant
            Sorry you are going through this. It does make it harder when you don’t know what to do. If it helps I am being treated at Moffitt and am stage 3. They recommended radiation for me after my surgery to remove the tumor. I am on treatment # 15 out of 20 today. For the most part I am feeling pretty good. Once free of radiation for 21 days I will participate in Moffitt’s clinical trial of interferon/ipilimumab . I had a mole removed from neck in 07 and swollen lymph node in same area removed in 2012. Hope you get the answers you are looking for. Good luck!
            KMT2003
            Participant
              piii
              Participant
                Hi, I am stage III had 1 pos lymph node in left arm pit radiation was recommend to help stop local recurrence I did 20 treatments in 4 weeks and from what I was told and what I researched it does help with improving you chance of melanoma not coming back. My doctors did not wait to do pet scans or mri. I also did 1 month of high dose interferon after the radiation treatment but stopped the maintenance dose after 2 months. I found the radiation treatments easy and glad I did them. I have my next pet scan and MRI in two weeks and hope they are clear. Good luck and hope all your scans are clear
                Peter
                piii
                Participant
                  Hi, I am stage III had 1 pos lymph node in left arm pit radiation was recommend to help stop local recurrence I did 20 treatments in 4 weeks and from what I was told and what I researched it does help with improving you chance of melanoma not coming back. My doctors did not wait to do pet scans or mri. I also did 1 month of high dose interferon after the radiation treatment but stopped the maintenance dose after 2 months. I found the radiation treatments easy and glad I did them. I have my next pet scan and MRI in two weeks and hope they are clear. Good luck and hope all your scans are clear
                  Peter
                  piii
                  Participant
                    Peter
                    awillett1991
                    Participant
                      I had radiation twice, after both a groin lymph node dissection 2010 (stage 3) and after a pelvic reconstruction 2011 (stage 4). Docs were unclear about whether first round was ineffective, and that’s why it came back in the pelvic bone on the same side, but not in the same place close enough to be classified as a local recurrance. It has spread anyway. I don’t think it hurt, maybe it even slowed it down. Both times I found it easy to tolerate.. My doc is anti-PET unless there is something suspicious (for example swollen nodes, history or suspicion of bone mets). Sounds like your vital organs are clear so enjoy every day!
                      awillett1991
                      Participant
                        I had radiation twice, after both a groin lymph node dissection 2010 (stage 3) and after a pelvic reconstruction 2011 (stage 4). Docs were unclear about whether first round was ineffective, and that’s why it came back in the pelvic bone on the same side, but not in the same place close enough to be classified as a local recurrance. It has spread anyway. I don’t think it hurt, maybe it even slowed it down. Both times I found it easy to tolerate.. My doc is anti-PET unless there is something suspicious (for example swollen nodes, history or suspicion of bone mets). Sounds like your vital organs are clear so enjoy every day!
                        awillett1991
                        Participant
                          alabama girl
                          Participant

Hi, I am 3B and had micromets in 2 nodes. I had radiation in January. They only did 5 treatments but they were much stronger than alot of radiation. My radiologist feels like it will give me a better chance since my melanoma was 9 1/2 mm and was under the rt breast so they said they could do a stronger radiation in that area. I had pet scan in Dec before i started radiation. Surgery was in November, 2011. I am not doing anything else but CT scans every 3 months for it. I do have a complication since I found out I have breast cancer also in March, so they have added digital mammos, mri and ultrasounds of breast and the lymph nodes which will help with the melanoma lymph nodes since they are the same ones. Best of luck to you! This is a tough road for you, but hang in there. Everyone here is so helpful and caring.

alabama girl
                            Participant

Hi, I am 3B and had micromets in 2 nodes. I had radiation in January. They only did 5 treatments but they were much stronger than alot of radiation. My radiologist feels like it will give me a better chance since my melanoma was 9 1/2 mm and was under the rt breast so they said they could do a stronger radiation in that area. I had pet scan in Dec before i started radiation. Surgery was in November, 2011. I am not doing anything else but CT scans every 3 months for it. I do have a complication since I found out I have breast cancer also in March, so they have added digital mammos, mri and ultrasounds of breast and the lymph nodes which will help with the melanoma lymph nodes since they are the same ones. Best of luck to you! This is a tough road for you, but hang in there. Everyone here is so helpful and caring.

alabama girl
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics